Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Fouts Shares Some Old Bolts Memories

I found a good old Charger memory - If you were a bolt fan back in the early eighties I think you will enjoy it;
    I Post these shows purely to show the history of the game for football fans enjoyment, Please do not re-post this video. Thanks!
    Last edited by chargeroo; 06-29-2019, 06:45 PM.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Thanks Terry. Loved that team. Huge excitement at the Murph with Air Coryell.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

1979 and 1980 were the missing rings. In 79 we beat both super bowl teams during the regular season. That Houston loss was ridiculous. In 1980 we hosted the AFCCG at the Murphy and should have won we would have beaten the Eagles in the SB. 81 the Bengals beat us at home before the ice bowl. Harder to lay claim to that one. Especially after they lost Mean Fred Dean and JJ
      Last edited by jamrock; 06-30-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I remember that sauna bowl in miami and the GREATEST individual performance for an individual. watching that scene again made me emotional as I remember as a kid I almost cried watching that game.
        And then the 2006 team...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I told one of my managers that I was MFIC. She didnt know what it meant, so i explained the Dan Foutss MFIC legacy. The next Monday there was a hat waiting in my office with the logo, yes, MFIC. Lol.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
            Thanks Terry. Loved that team. Huge excitement at the Murph with Air Coryell.
            Those teams (79/80) should have won the SB. Still, it was fun to watch that clip and be reminded of all those great players. I always thought if Klein hadn't sent JJ and Dean packing we would have been the champs. Some of those looses still hurt to remember. After the loss to Houston I couln't get up and leave the stadium. I was just stunned. The other game that killed me was the loss to the hated raiders in the AFC championship game.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

thanks Chargeroo,

saw the whole thing.

Finally know now that Winslow was the intended receiver on James Brook's TD tying reception in the Miami playoff game.
              Brooks was suppose to stay in and block.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

The 1979 - 1980 teams were the ones that missed out. The 1981 team was a step below; probably lose decisively to Cincinnati in good weather.

The 79 team had a really good secondary: Mike Williams (the original), Willie Buchanon, Glen Edwards, ..... they spanked Pittsburgh in San Diego. By In1981, those 3 were either over-the-hill or retired. I think Buchanon had one more big play in him: an interception in overtime against Miami.

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                  THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                  Generous Donor
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Glad to see these sentiments re: the '79-81 era...the better teams were definitely the '79 and '80 squad. I think the '79 team was probably the best overall and had the best 'shot' to win it all considering the competition. They just had a knack for playing tight in the playoffs (sound familiar?). The '81 team was basically a less good version that won one memorable playoff game on the road, a game that let's not forget they blew a 24-0 lead and probably should have lost it all things considered if not for a couple heroic individual performances. They couldn't beat CIN in SD (got crushed), let alone in the ice. That was a great Bengals team that probably should have won both the SB's they lost.

The '06 team had a favorable path, health and home-field. We all know what happened there. The '09 team also had a great path, but they were the consummate 'paper tiger' with a bloated record because the AFCW was so bad, and again choked a winnable game at home. If Jeff Fischer/Jim Swartz hadn't 'taken out' Merriman and generally encouraged dirty play after we beat them in the regular season (chippy OT game) which led to Gates injury which also screwed his career for a couple years, plus the beginnings of LT's injury (they went for his legs on his goal line TD) which was 'completed' the next week VS Indy, I think the '07 team could have overcome bad coaching and won it all. They couldn't overcome both bad coaching and devastating injuries to Gates, Rivers, Tomlinson and Merriman.
                  NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• jubei
                    Vagabond Ninja
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

OOHHHH I HATE that fisher douchebag the most of any NFL person I've ever hated. How he ever got a job for the Rams...I have no idea. I was so happy he got canned and they found someone who could actually coach and started winning. He was a less then avg coach IIRC. And I will never forgive what he did when he had his dirtbag players mawae and one other dude go high low on Merriman. WRECKED the best defensive player for the foreseeable future in the league.

Comment

• Charged4Life
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      I found a good old Charger memory - If you were a bolt fan back in the early eighties I think you will enjoy it;
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVE7NaPepYo
                      Thank you! That was a great inside look. A special time to be a Chargers fan even if things didn't go entirely as planned. That '79 team was so close. If Fouts doesn't suck like the worst QB ever in a playoff game we win that game vs Houston. Still don't know how that happened with Fouts. Completely disintegrated in that one. He lost that game for us. But he did a lot of fun and exciting things for us too.

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                        THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                        Generous Donor
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                        OOHHHH I HATE that fisher douchebag the most of any NFL person I've ever hated. How he ever got a job for the Rams...I have no idea. I was so happy he got canned and they found someone who could actually coach and started winning. He was a less then avg coach IIRC. And I will never forgive what he did when he had his dirtbag players mawae and one other dude go high low on Merriman. WRECKED the best defensive player for the foreseeable future in the league.
                        Not to mention hitting Gates while he was on the ground and messing up his toe/foot which haunted him for years. Epically dirty coaching staff and team.
                        NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡