• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

It was fun to see am little of that OL wasn't it?
    Yes, fun to see alot of things, like James Brooks who we should of kept along With Fred Dean. Losing Dean was huge.
    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yes, fun to see alot of things, like James Brooks who we should of kept along With Fred Dean. Losing Dean was huge.
      Hi Boltjolt. You are so correct in all of this.

Brooks and Dean were very high impact players.

What was Don Coryell thinking, about James Brooks ? He must have been blinded by his unabashed love for Muncie. It was perfect with Muncie + Brooks. Why could Coryell, the great offensive mind, not have fully utilized this ?

What was Klein thinking about Dean ? Dean was our championship level PRS. Fred Dean was like a Von Miller or Lawrence Taylor. Clueless Gene Klein must have lost perspect playing the horses.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Coryell was looking for a bull dozer type of back when he traded Brooks away. Unfortunately he traded for a big back that was over the hill. Brooks was better suited to that offense even if Jonson was still in his prime.

As for Klein, he was getting rid of expenses when he jettisoned those great player - JJ, Dean, Louie, Big Hands - all sent packing because they wanted a salary increase. That all shows us that no matter who the GM or HC is, the owner holds the trump card and can screw up a team real fast. I have no doubt the '79 & '80 teams could have both won the SB if the owner had been more interested in fielding a winning team. Klein only wanted a good enough team to sell season tickets, SB be damned.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          Coryell was looking for a bull dozer type of back when he traded Brooks away. Unfortunately he traded for a big back that was over the hill. Brooks was better suited to that offense even if Jonson was still in his prime.

As for Klein, he was getting rid of expenses when he jettisoned those great player - JJ, Dean, Louie, Big Hands - all sent packing because they wanted a salary increase. That all shows us that no matter who the GM or HC is, the owner holds the trump card and can screw up a team real fast. I have no doubt the '79 & '80 teams could have both won the SB if the owner had been more interested in fielding a winning team. Klein only wanted a good enough team to sell season tickets, SB be damned.
          Wow. What an indictment of Gene Klein.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Klein preferred athletes that only cared about getting fed, watered and groomed.

Comment

• Charged4Life
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              Klein preferred athletes that only cared about getting fed, watered and groomed.
              ha...you're right!

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Coryell loved Brooks. As I recalled it, Brooks wanted to get paid and the Klein administration had a hard time with that in general (see JJ, who would have been my all time favorite Charger had he continued and Dean). Johnson was a fat, over the hill, one dimensional blob at that point in his career and a terrible fit for the Coryell offense. Chargers over the years have made some real stupid trades, those above and Jim Lachey were the prime examples.

That video was great. Thanks for posting it. Brought back a lot of great memories.

PS Fouts was a class A jerk when he played. Surpassed only by Winslow. Fouts has actually mellowed as he got older but dont want younger Charger fans who only know him from the broadcast booth to not know what a great, transcendent player he was or what an egotistical player he could be. Refused to play his union dues so fans took up a collection for him so he wouldnt be suspended by the NFL!

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                  I remember that sauna bowl in miami and the GREATEST individual performance for an individual. watching that scene again made me emotional as I remember as a kid I almost cried watching that game.
                  And then the 2006 team...
                  Honestly... looking back... I think it was a good chance... but the team wasnt very good... honestly.... otherwise we would've been the champs.

Comment

• Lightnin'
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I'm with the consensus that both the '79 & '80 teams were better than '81.

I honestly believe though, the '81 Chargers could've played the '49ers much
                    better than the Bengals in the SB.

But-it was not to be.

A year earlier, had we not started so slowly-this was such a winnable game against
                    Oakland. Dropped balls by Jefferson, myriad 3/outs in the first half and easy scores
                    by Oakland made a comeback in the 2nd half so difficult.

In '79, we had taken the NFL by storm but Vernon Perry had the game of his career
                    and we simply couldn't get out of our own way.

Two of my 5 "Games from Hell" were played in consecutive playoffs; the others being
                    the 1961 loss to Houston (sound familiar); the '64 loss to Jack Kemp (our former QB)
                    and Buffalo and of course-losing to New England in '06.
                    San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightnin' View Post

But-it was not to be.

A year earlier, had we not started so slowly-this was such a winnable game against
                      Oakland. Dropped balls by Jefferson, myriad 3/outs in the first half and easy scores

In '79, we had taken the NFL by storm but Vernon Perry had the game of his career

Two of my 5 "Games from Hell" were played in consecutive playoffs; the others being
                      the 1961 loss to Houston (sound familiar); the '64 loss to Jack Kemp (our former QB)
                      Great histoire, Lightnin' !

My very first game was the second loss to Kemp/BUF in the AFLCG, December 26,1965. For me, that nightmarish initiation really set the tone for all the Charger Classics to follow.

IMHO, both the Bengals and the Chargers were better than the 49ers in 1981. The Bengals would have won but for the hit by Dan Bunz on Charles Alexander at the goal line in the third quarter.

Every Charger fail, all of them, are my "Games from Hell" following December 26, 1965. It's been a long, strange trip.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightnin' View Post

But-it was not to be.

Did you happen to attend the first game in Balboa stadium?
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Craig440
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

Loved the video. My season tickets those years were three rows up from where the Chargers came out of the tunnel. Great seats and no doubt the heart beat of the crowd was special.

Comment

Working...
                          X