• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: Potential Poach Thread - Most Likely To Get Poached Off PS

If any of these Bolts don't make the final cut, which of them are most likely to be poached from the PS? Vote for one OR two...
    Easton Stick
    38.46%
    Detrez Newsome
    23.08%
    Patrick Afriyie
    0%
    Cortez Broughton
    15.38%
    Dylan Cantrell
    23.08%
    Geremy Davis
    7.69%
    Nick Dzubnar
    15.38%
    Emeke Egbule
    23.08%
    Brandon Facyson
    15.38%
    Cardale Jones
    7.69%
    Andre Patton
    7.69%
    Adarius Pickett
    0%
    Artavis Scott
    0%
    Other--see my answer
    7.69%
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Just thinking...its too early to even guess. Poaches are pretty infrequent, and the only one of significance was Wes Welker. The Chargers did lose someone from the practice squad, a UDFA linebacker whose name escapes me, but wasn't claimed right away, if I recall correctly, and probably was cut to keep Dzubnar on the 53. I'll worry about the poaches when we post the 53 man cut down thread.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

LOL...Cardale Jones...good one...yep, teams are lining up to snap him up right quick...

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        Just thinking...its too early to even guess. Poaches are pretty infrequent, and the only one of significance was Wes Welker. The Chargers did lose someone from the practice squad, a UDFA linebacker whose name escapes me, but wasn't claimed right away, if I recall correctly, and probably was cut to keep Dzubnar on the 53. I'll worry about the poaches when we post the 53 man cut down thread.
        I guess it IS a little early...but...TC doesn't start for a few weeks, so, gotta talk about something...

Comment

• JPPT1974
          April Showers and Easter
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

It is early but it depends on performing well in T.C. and/or preseason!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

I think it's Facyson.
            Some DB's gonna surprise.
            Maybe Jeff Richards.
            You don't know ball

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Broughton, Cantrell, Egbule and Facyson.... all should make 53.
              RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Cardale Jones and Dzubnar are not PS eligible. And if anyone wants them they are welcome to them. Also, if the team cuts guys like them, it usually means they are ready to move on. The rest of the guys on the list all have a very real shot at making the roster, so it is hard to imagine what our PS would look like. Traditionally, it has had a lot of other players we got off of waivers on it.

It is fairly unusual for draft picks to not make the final 53, so in that case Broughton, Stick and Egbule are all likely to be on the 53 man roster. Of course, most rosters aren't as deep as ours, so we might be an exception. We did need players at DT, so Broughton fills that need. Egbule is a more athletic version of Emmanuel who can rush the passer, drop and play ILB and OLB, as well as add depth at LEO (DE), so I think it is hard to imagine him not being on the final 53. A similar argument with Cantrell.

Stick is probably the most likely. The roster is going to have interesting battles across the depth chart, so it is no sure thing that we even keep a 3rd QB. But then the same argument goes for other teams as well. Only about half the NFL keeps a 3rd QB. I keep hearing writers bringing up the fact that the Chargers may want to use Stick as a multi-position guy, although I have yet to hear it from a team. Not sure where it is coming from. It does make sense since it is always a bit stressful on the depth chart to have a 3rd QB. If Stick can be a ST guy, and maybe another body to line up in the slot, he is the kind of athlete you want to have active every Sunday. Still, even with that, it will be hard for him to make the final 53.

The other thing I always find amusing about the final 53, is that there is nothing final about it. While that is always an important milestone for young players, there is still a lot of combing the waiver wire cuts, potential trades and such, so that there is a lot of flux on the roster and PS the first few weeks of the season.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Cardale Jones and Dzubnar are not PS eligible. And if anyone wants them they are welcome to them. Also, if the team cuts guys like them, it usually means they are ready to move on. The rest of the guys on the list all have a very real shot at making the roster, so it is hard to imagine what our PS would look like. Traditionally, it has had a lot of other players we got off of waivers on it.

It is fairly unusual for draft picks to not make the final 53, so in that case Broughton, Stick and Egbule are all likely to be on the 53 man roster. Of course, most rosters aren't as deep as ours, so we might be an exception. We did need players at DT, so Broughton fills that need. Egbule is a more athletic version of Emmanuel who can rush the passer, drop and play ILB and OLB, as well as add depth at LEO (DE), so I think it is hard to imagine him not being on the final 53. A similar argument with Cantrell.

Stick is probably the most likely. The roster is going to have interesting battles across the depth chart, so it is no sure thing that we even keep a 3rd QB. But then the same argument goes for other teams as well. Only about half the NFL keeps a 3rd QB. I keep hearing writers bringing up the fact that the Chargers may want to use Stick as a multi-position guy, although I have yet to hear it from a team. Not sure where it is coming from. It does make sense since it is always a bit stressful on the depth chart to have a 3rd QB. If Stick can be a ST guy, and maybe another body to line up in the slot, he is the kind of athlete you want to have active every Sunday. Still, even with that, it will be hard for him to make the final 53.

The other thing I always find amusing about the final 53, is that there is nothing final about it. While that is always an important milestone for young players, there is still a lot of combing the waiver wire cuts, potential trades and such, so that there is a lot of flux on the roster and PS the first few weeks of the season.
                  If the Bolts are as high on Stick as I think they are, I think they roll with 3 qb's on the final 53...they've done it before, though not lately...

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If the Bolts are as high on Stick as I think they are, I think they roll with 3 qb's on the final 53...they've done it before, though not lately...
                    I do see him sticking on the 53, and Tyrod and him being used in the games, alternatively, as that running threat, like the guy in New Orleans. I'll play this game... if there is a poach, it will be the WR that doesn't make the cut, either Scott, or Cantrell... but I do see both making the initial 53.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                      Roach?

Agree with the rest as i think much of that list makes the team like Cantrell, Scott, Stick, Newsome, Egbule.
                      Stick probably makes the team and is ineligible on games days as the 3rd QB. Davis if he doesn't make it isnt PS eligible any longer for the PS so he sticks or gets cut so no loss either way. If they feel he isnt god enough to make the team with his situtation, i wouldnt care if he goes elsewhere.

Again, dont know why we think our PS players are gold to everyone else. The only one id hate to see get poached if he dont make the team is Cortez Broughton but i think he will make it.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 07-04-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Someone more recent than Roach.... Still, if someone does get poached, they are still on the bottom of the roster for their new team, a special teamer if they play, or needed depth. Poaching someone for information, well, it happens, but not until late in the season, and even then, it could be a drag on the new teams flexibility as they can't be cut for at least 2 game cycles, if I'm correct. The Chargers do seem to do ok with filling their practice squad, and as long as they aren't a 1st or 2nd day pick, I wouldn't get too upset that they have to be on the PS for more seasoning, and may have exposure to the waiver wire,.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍