• Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

That Game At Baltimore Last Year

I rewatched that game today and I question myself what is the worst play of that game.
    D. James in the 4th given the TD
    V. Green's fumble or his mist tackles
    T. Williams mist easy throw to him for first down
    The offense unable to gain some yardage up the middle
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

it just felt like we dominated that game. this is the one we won in the POs right? the game got closer in the end but there was no way jackson 'can't hit the side of a barn' was gonna take them all the way down to score. I do remember virgil fumbling and I'm always scared when he catches the ball, the way he handles the ball while running. if I can see the ball I'll bet the defenders are salivating. of course my memory of both games may be jumbled up and mixed together.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

What I did not like of that game is that was supposed to be over at 23-3.
      The Chargers let the Ravens come back in it.
      They were unable to close up with some plays.
      They were unable to run the clock.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        I thought it was an awesome win vs a team that dominated us two weeks before. We had the same D in that the Pats opened with 5 consecutive TDs on.
        It's hard to play solid D with so many starters & top backups out.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
          I think they let up mentally for sure. Hayward fell asleep on the hitch and go. burnt toast.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

We went into Baltimore and were the more physical and dominated them for most of the game. That doesn't really happen to Baltimore very often. They get beat, but not too many teams come in and whip them at their own game. But I do think the Chargers were spent by the end of it, and that was why the team played so badly the next week too.

Comment

• Shock&Awe
              Great White North
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Thought we should have won that game by two scores. Didn't like how we played Jackson in the fourth quarter, gave him space to make throws. He's a guy who can't throw in tight windows and is susceptible to batted plays. We played him perfectly for three then reverted to playing bend but don't break.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post
                Thought we should have won that game by two scores. Didn't like how we played Jackson in the fourth quarter, gave him space to make throws. He's a guy who can't throw in tight windows and is susceptible to batted plays. We played him perfectly for three then reverted to playing bend but don't break.
                OK, the bend but don't break thing is complete bullshit. If for no other reason, we kept calling the same cover 3/cover 6 3 deep coverage we used the rest of the game (we used the same cover3/cover6 look on EVERY play). If we are playing the same coverage as before, how did we start playing bend but don't break? Unless the argument is we were always playing a bend but don't break scheme, the coverage was the same. The defense was being called the same, but it just wasn't working anymore.

Our guys were getting tired and players started making mistakes and simply getting caught flatfooted. The pass rushers were not closing on Jackson quite as well, especially the inside rushers. The Ravens were playing to win too. Jackson finally started to have time to work through his progression and make plays downfield. The big part of the problem was our best inside rushers are Ingram and Bosa and they were needed to help provide the outside leverage to keep Jackson in the pocket. It is telling that when Nwosu played DE on every down of the last drive, he was able to get excellent pressure because he had not been playing as many snaps as everyone else.

Jackson made some tight window throws. The biggest issue I think he has is he is slow to make checkdowns and often decides where he wants to go pre-snap. There were a lot of open receivers he just didn't go to, earlier in the game. The throws later on where him starting to hit those throws, and the Ravens opening up the offense so that their options were deeper downfield. People can dismiss Jackson if they want, but he is making progress as a passer.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  We went into Baltimore and were the more physical and dominated them for most of the game. That doesn't really happen to Baltimore very often. They get beat, but not too many teams come in and whip them at their own game. But I do think the Chargers were spent by the end of it, and that was why the team played so badly the next week too.
                  That and Bellichick/Brady got to study our D featuring Bosa-Ingram-Hayward-James and a bunch of default/backup players.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍