• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

18 Game Regular Season In The Works?

According to Andrew Beaton of the Wall Street Journal, NFL owners have proposed an 18-game regular season with a caveat that no player would be allowed to compete in more than 16 games.

The NFLPA has been reluctant to stretch the regular season beyond its current 16-game schedule due to injury concerns, but putting a cap on how many games a player can suit up for would be a fair compromise. Per Beaton, extending the regular season by two games could increase league revenue by $2.5 billion while potentially adding $15 million to each team's salary cap. Choosing when to sit players would also add an interesting layer to coaching decisions. It's unclear how much (if any) traction this idea has, but it's not the worst idea the NFL has ever come up with.

​​​​​​https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bil...ks-11562859817
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Who wants to watch Mike Glendon/cooper rush/weeden/matt Barkley man their teams 2 games a year? I am also not certain how u can schedule your players around injuries and mandatory rest at the end of the year. Maybe the dumbest idea I have heard. The only way to do it is for each team to have 2 bye weeks that must be spread by at least X weeks. The problem is with the schedulers. For an example of just how inept they are look how badly the screwed the Bucs this year.
    Last edited by Panamamike; 07-12-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
      Who wants to watch Mike Glendon/cooper rush/weeden/matt Barkley man their teams 2 games a year? I am also not certain how u can schedule your players around injuries and mandatory rest at the end of the year. Maybe the dumbest idea I have heard. The only way to do it is for each team to have 2 bye weeks that must be spread by at least X weeks. The problem is with the schedulers. For just go inept they are look how badly the screwed the Bucs this year.
      Yeah im interested to see how this plays out. lol

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

How do you manage that ?
        All I see is a 19 games season.
        9 games in the division.
        4 in the other conference
        4 against a division in your conference.
        2 against teams that have finished at the same position than you on the others two divisions.
        Two games for the Chargers at KC ?

Comment

• Blue Thunder
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Arlington, TX
          • Send PM

One way would be to keep the 6 division games and play against two divisions in the same conference and one division in the other conference. This would also make it to where each team in the same division plays the same non-divisional schedule as every other team in their division.

Comment

• SBbound
            Casual fanatic
            • Feb 2019
            • Merced/San Diego
            • Send PM

Easy, 2 game preseason, 18 regular season games over a 20 week season.
            6 divisional games
            6 games in the same conference (4 in one division and1 each of the same record in the other two divisions)
            6 games interconference games, (4 in one division and1 each of the same record in the two divisions not played the previous year)

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post
              6 divisional games
              6 games in the same conference (4 in one division and1 each of the same record in the other two divisions)
              6 games interconference games, (4 in one division and1 each of the same record in the two divisions not played the previous year)
              Were you not SD Bound at one point? You used to be a regular with us at our other forum right? Maybe a sailboat guy? You look really familiar.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

6 divisional games
                Ok but just expand the roster

Comment

• SBbound
                  Casual fanatic
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Merced/San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Were you not SD Bound at one point? You used to be a regular with us at our other forum right? Maybe a sailboat guy? You look really familiar.
                  Yeah that's me.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Have the PS eliminated but increase the active to 60-63 + all can be game day active.
                    Would have to expand the players compensation %.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Yeah that's me.
                      Thats looks like you. You always did look young and at peace. Good to see you man.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Owners won't like this, but it would be necessary. I think adding 3 or 4 to the main roster, and expanding the Practice Squad would be the right move. As far as which games you sit your key players, I would guess they would be the games that are the least impactful to your playoff chances, games against the other conference, and the earlier, the better.

Comment

Working...
                        X