• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Unless he un-retires after camp is over...
    Gronk is down to 197 pounds by now - he's done!

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Wasnt long ago Hayward was talked about as a top 3 CB. King, Hayward. Maybe Tillery and NASA. I am truly excited to see this D play. Im really digging the athleticsm and speed of our young players. Game speed.
      Hayward is still a top CB. Look at the rankings, he just had an off year with ints but there is more to CB than just ints (although they help a lot).

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Hayward is still a top CB. Look at the rankings, he just had an off year with ints but there is more to CB than just ints (although they help a lot).
        I havnt checked out the rankings etc....and he would have really benefitted from a safety who had his back over top...it just seemed like he gave up more catches than usual last year. He looked off at times last year. I think interior pass rush will help Bosa and Ingram. And there is no better help to a secondary than pass rush. He was the top rated CB as far as breakups in 2017. I remember yelling at the TV the size of the cushion he was giving WRs. I think Steve has gone over Haywards last year production a little bit as well.

And i had no idea that there was more to CB than INTs. lol

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 4.40.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 4.42.08 PM.png

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Gronk is down to 197 pounds by now - he's done!
          I read yesterday that he is 18 pounds lighter than when he retired. He looked lighter in those pictures that came out, but looked like he has put some muscle weight back on.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I question this. His speed is slipping. He did not have a very good year last year. He got burned more than the previous 2 years combined. He needs to be replaced after this year IMO.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I question this. His speed is slipping. He did not have a very good year last year. He got burned more than the previous 2 years combined. He needs to be replaced after this year IMO.
              Some of Hayward's production slip is because he is left out to dry covering a huge area all alone behind James. It's hard to be as aggressive as you want if you know that you are the only thing between the ball and the end zone.

Part of the idea with the cover 6 was to put James in position to make plays, but we had to keep Addae from having to cover sideline to sideline, since he doesn't have the range or the instincts. With Watkins, Jenkins and Adderley, we have 3 S with a lot more range, so we can afford to expand James role. And now that he knows how to prepare and what being an NFL player is, they can expand what he is asked to do.

Another part of the problem since Gus has taken over was the "other" CB opposite Hayward. 2 years ago, Trevor Williams started off OK, then really played well the last 2/3 of the season. Last year he struggled with injuries and went on IR, opening up the spot for Michael Davis, who struggled some, before finishing off the season well. However, if you look at what they were asked to do, both were used almost exclusively in zone coverage. Now that they are developing rapidly, will one of them (or both), be able to expand their game so we can start to play more man coverage?

Playing zone D has helped put a lot of help around them. Williams and Davis, along with all our S, and many of our LB, are pretty good at getting depth, reading the route and then breaking on the ball.

Hayward is a pretty good coverage guy in man off coverage (man coverage with a big cushion) or zone defense. He is best at reading routes and reacting to the ball in the air. He is not a big physical press CB who redirects the WR, and he is not an elite speed guy who can overcome any mistakes. That doesn't make him a bad or even declining player, just he has some limitations. He is a lot like Josh Norman, who is also somewhat limited. But if you ask them to play to their strength, both are damn good players.

So, are we going to stay an almost strictly zone team, or will we start to mix in a lot of other coverages? A lot will depend on how they do in preseason. Historically, the 1980's 49ers D/Seattle Pete Carroll defense that we play has used either coverage. The 49er played their scheme with Deon Sanders and played a lot of man coverage. Other seasons, with less talented CB, they played a lot more zone defense. You can play defense out of both coverages, so it will mostly come down to what the personnel does best.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

I havnt checked out the rankings etc....and he would have really benefitted from a safety who had his back over top...it just seemed like he gave up more catches than usual last year. He looked off at times last year. I think interior pass rush will help Bosa and Ingram. And there is no better help to a secondary than pass rush. He was the top rated CB as far as breakups in 2017. I remember yelling at the TV the size of the cushion he was giving WRs. I think Steve has gone over Haywards last year production a little bit as well.

And i had no idea that there was more to CB than INTs. lol

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 4.40.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 4.42.08 PM.png
                Hayward didn't get much help from Addae at all...though it's not Addae's fault he was moved out of the box to single high...hopefully Adderley shores up that spot...

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Hayward didn't get much help from Addae at all...though it's not Addae's fault he was moved out of the box to single high...hopefully Adderley shores up that spot...
                  That is huge when you have zero help from the free safety it hurts. Then on top of that often others need to cover up for said free safety it just makes it bad.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

I know PFF is not gospel but they seem to think Hayward still has gas in the tank.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yeah Addae was basically who i was throwing under the bus. lol

And i absolutely think Hayward has gas in the tank.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Turns 30 this season. He has gas left in the tank, but just enough to run around town, not head out on a road trip. We need to look at replacements to groom sooner rather than later IMO. I like him, and he has been an awesome pickup. my .02

Comment

Working...
                        X