• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Great qbs need a great coach to maximize their talents.

Fouts - Coryell
    Brady - Hoodie
    Brees - Payton
    Mahomes - Reid?

Defenses do figure out how to play different players, but the greast players overcome it. We'll see how Mahomes progresses this year, but last year was outstanding.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Mahomes was really good last year, but he got (I won't say lucky) fortunate, on some of his crazy scrambles and throws...

Those aren't always going to work. He'll still be good, but I expect that we will see some drop off. (of course, I said last year that he'd struggle early, that turned out great)
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• glutton4Bolts
        glutton for punishment
        • Jan 2019
        • Lake Arrowhead, CA
        • Send PM

IMO... The Chiefs are still the team to beat in the AFC West. They have a giant home field advantage and their fans travel too... so our home game against them will be 50/50. Reid may not be a great playoff coach but he is one heck of a regular season coach. I would not be surprised to see them 8-0 to start the season again. Their D was super atrocious last year... I expect it to get better... but still be a weakness that prevents them from being truly dominant. They have the best young QB in the game, the deadliest down-field threat WR and one of the most consistent TEs.... The RBs will be potent as well because of the down-field threat and what is always a very good OL.

The Chargers are going to have to take a step forward this year in order to get past the Chiefs. Health is always an issue for us... so it would be nice to have a little luck on the front this year. The D is what could set us apart. They showed flashes last year at what they could be. If our 1st two draft picks excel at their roles at DT and FS respectively... then the D could be really special. Other question marks remain on O as well... What will happen at LT and with Gordon. Ekeler and JJ are talented guys but they are not the workhorse that MG is.... and I have no idea who we can count on to play quality LT if Okung can't play. We have Henry back... so that is a boost. Slayer is Slayer and MDub could be dominant this season if he progresses from last year. In years past I would have said we have a 20% chance at winning this division based on the talent on the Bolts/Chiefs roster... but Lynn makes one heck of a difference. I finally feel like we have a coach that is worth his salary. I give us a 50/50 shot at winning the West.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
          IMO... The Chiefs are still the team to beat in the AFC West. They have a giant home field advantage and their fans travel too... so our home game against them will be 50/50. Reid may not be a great playoff coach but he is one heck of a regular season coach. I would not be surprised to see them 8-0 to start the season again. Their D was super atrocious last year... I expect it to get better... but still be a weakness that prevents them from being truly dominant. They have the best young QB in the game, the deadliest down-field threat WR and one of the most consistent TEs.... The RBs will be potent as well because of the down-field threat and what is always a very good OL.

The Chargers are going to have to take a step forward this year in order to get past the Chiefs. Health is always an issue for us... so it would be nice to have a little luck on the front this year. The D is what could set us apart. They showed flashes last year at what they could be. If our 1st two draft picks excel at their roles at DT and FS respectively... then the D could be really special. Other question marks remain on O as well... What will happen at LT and with Gordon. Ekeler and JJ are talented guys but they are not the workhorse that MG is.... and I have no idea who we can count on to play quality LT if Okung can't play. We have Henry back... so that is a boost. Slayer is Slayer and MDub could be dominant this season if he progresses from last year. In years past I would have said we have a 20% chance at winning this division based on the talent on the Bolts/Chiefs roster... but Lynn makes one heck of a difference. I finally feel like we have a coach that is worth his salary. I give us a 50/50 shot at winning the West.
          Agreed. We all thought we were going to win the AFCW last year. That didn't happen. The Chiefs are the team to beat until we we finally do it.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

A year of film on Mahomes should help

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge the 21 View Post
              Mahomes is literally RG3 v2.
              I'm not tryin' to hate but yes...we've seen the hype before on 1st year QB's. RG3, Luck, ect. Question is if the Chiefs can't get past round 1 every year then does their coach get canned?

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Mahomes had some games where he was not nearly as productive. So the game plans to get to him are out there. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TxReoSEIE4).

One thing that really hurts the Chiefs is that without Hunt, they are put in a lot of 3 and long situations, and those really let the defenses gear up on Mahomes.

Mahomes has a better frame and more body to protect his legs. He also is less reckless as a runner and outside the pocket. I am not sure his body is going to break down like RG3's did.

Their D is still a big issue. They have some good prospects on their D, but they traded away a lot of draft picks to get it, and they still have some holes to fill. For example, they only have Frank Clark as an edge rusher. Okafor is a roster stop gap. Emmanuel Ogbah is a solid backup type, but he has better tools than production over his 3 year career. DT is thin with 2 good prospects in Nnadi and Saunders, but Chris Jones needs more help than that.

Their LB corp is fine, but not that great. Their secondary is very thin, and could use some top end players at CB, although they should be better now that Sutton isn't leaving them out to dry in man coverage all the time.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

I'm not sure where the RG3 comparison is coming from as Mahomes is nothing like him. Mahomes passed for over 5000 yards and had 50 TD passes last year. In RG3's best year he passed for 3200 yards. He has 42 total TD passes in his entire career.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    I'm not sure where the RG3 comparison is coming from as Mahomes is nothing like him. Mahomes passed for over 5000 yards and had 50 TD passes last year. In RG3's best year he passed for 3200 yards. He has 42 total TD passes in his entire career.
                    I think it's wishful thinking, as in the "league" will catch up to him as a "mobile" QB. RG3's problem ultimately was that he never learned to be a pocket QB. Mahomes seems to be a much better passer than RG3, more accurate and with a great arm. I can't point to better coaching by Reid, vs. the Rat for RG3, but I also think RG3 may not be as coachable than Mahomes.

I do think that Mahomes may not be as effective as last season, and the Chargers and the Pats may be the best against him, like they were last season.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Mahomes is the real deal without question.
                      Will he throw for 5K and 50TDs every season? No. He does have the ability, plays the most important position, and has an outstanding offense around him. so he'll have his team in most every game.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Agreed. We all thought we were going to win the AFCW last year. That didn't happen. The Chiefs are the team to beat until we we finally do it.
                        Every reign comes to an end. Besides, we need to pay the Chiefs back for 2010.

The fact that we have a better defense gives us an edge.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Every reign comes to an end. Besides, we need to pay the Chiefs back for 2010.

The fact that we have a better defense gives us an edge.
                          Welcome to the Blues family. Good to have you.

Comment

Working...
                          X