• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Nice to see Popper out there protesting too.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

More defined? Did he have his shirt off?
      IDK.
      Popper is creepy tho.
      Stick to tacos ?
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Those with a PFF subscription can read the new projection for the OL rankings around the NFL.

They have us ranked at 30th.
        LV Raider - 11th - tackles are solid, but not great. Interior OL is pretty good at LG and C, RG they need to upgrade Gabe Jackson, but will be OK if he plays back to form, which he didn't last year.

KC - 12th - need some work in the run game. They are a little weak with some guys having off season, but have a solid mix of depth and potential to pick from. 4 mid level starters and a start in Mitchell Schwatz, with some depth and developmental options.

Den - 14th - Solid, but nothing spectacular. Their big FA signing (James) last year only played 63 snaps, Bolles is an average player at RT until you figure in all the penalties. Risner was a solid grade at LG, Glasgow should be the same at RG. Connor McGoven had a career year at C and went to NYJ, so now they have a hole and it looks like 3rd round pick (LSU) Lloyd Cushenberry will get the 1st chance to start, although he is not a very good pass protector in college.

Summary of the text

Bulaga is fine.

RT is a mess with a lot of possibilities, but no solid options. Pipkins had the best grade, but on only a few (250) snaps.

Trai Turner graded out about like Schoefield did last year, but if he plays back to his Carolina form is an upgrade.

Feeney has struggled.

Pouncey only played just over 300 snaps and didn't grade out that well in the ones he was healthy for.

Lamp has played 394 snaps total, including preseason.

Key is that the young players have to improve.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensi...020-nfl-season - but only if you have a subscription.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Those with a PFF subscription can read the new projection for the OL rankings around the NFL.

LV Raider - 11th - tackles are solid, but not great. Interior OL is pretty good at LG and C, RG they need to upgrade Gabe Jackson, but will be OK if he plays back to form, which he didn't last year.

KC - 12th - need some work in the run game. They are a little weak with some guys having off season, but have a solid mix of depth and potential to pick from. 4 mid level starters and a start in Mitchell Schwatz, with some depth and developmental options.

Den - 14th - Solid, but nothing spectacular. Their big FA signing (James) last year only played 63 snaps, Bolles is an average player at RT until you figure in all the penalties. Risner was a solid grade at LG, Glasgow should be the same at RG. Connor McGoven had a career year at C and went to NYJ, so now they have a hole and it looks like 3rd round pick (LSU) Lloyd Cushenberry will get the 1st chance to start, although he is not a very good pass protector in college.

Summary of the text

Bulaga is fine.

(RT) LT is a mess with a lot of possibilities, but no solid options. Pipkins had the best grade, but on only a few (250) snaps.

Trai Turner graded out about like Schoefield did last year, but if he plays back to his Carolina form is an upgrade.

Feeney has struggled.

Pouncey only played just over 300 snaps and didn't grade out that well in the ones he was healthy for.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensi...020-nfl-season - but only if you have a subscription.
          There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Ranking based on assumptions.They're making worst case base-line predictions. .
            Of course it's up to the Chargers to prove them wrong.
            I suspect that our OL will be closer to league avg. It is unlikely that the young players, new players, new coach, new scheme will produce the same results.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Summary of the text

Bulaga is fine.

RT is a mess with a lot of possibilities, but no solid options. Pipkins had the best grade, but on only a few (250) snaps.

Feeney has struggled.

Why does TT still have a job with this continuing state of absolute incompetence in assembling talent for the OL? Is this the 3rd or 4th year of this sh**?
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

His name is Forrest Lamp.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Why does TT still have a job with this continuing state of absolute incompetence in assembling talent for the OL? Is this the 3rd or 4th year of this sh**?
                  Depends on how you count sh**. 2017- 18 sacks, 2018 12-4.
                  There have been a lot of crappy years on OL., I get that. It doesn't mean 2020 won't be better with new vets, young draft picks, new vet OL coach, young OC's playcalling. It'll be different - and worse? 2019 set a low bar. We got a shot to be improved.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

No one has harped on the OL more than me but I don't see the problems with our OL as a reason to fire the GM. The GM is responsible for the entire roster and I have little doubt that the roster is better today than it was when TT first took over.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

No one has harped on the OL more than me but I don't see the problems with our OL as a reason to fire the GM. The GM is responsible for the entire roster and I have little doubt that the roster is better today than it was when TT first took over.
                      I was with you on OL frequently. Then TT started drafting/ signing guys who didn't work out. I've been holding my breath, hoping he'll find a path that works.
                      Fluker, Dunlap, Ohrnberger, Rhinehart Watt, Franklin, Troutman, Tuerk, Robinson, Barksdale, Slauson, Okung, Lamp, Feeney, Pulley, Tevi, Quesenberry,
                      Schofield, Pouncey, Pipkins, Turner, Bulaga.- Coach Campen.
                      Maybe out scouts are the problem? It isn't like Telesco has ignored OL but he definitely needs to hit more often.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

There is a serious shortage of good OL in the NFL, and other teams are putting a higher priority on it than we are. Do you want to spend JuWan James type of money for JuWan James types of players ($12.75 mill per season for a 1 year wonders who were not that great even in the 1 year)?

The alternative is to draft OL high in the draft, which would have meant no Hebert or Murray in 2020 / Tillery or Adderley in 2019, no James or Nwosu in 2018.

I don't necessarily think all the blame goes on the GM. At some point, don't the coaches have some responsibility to make players better?

Guys like Feeney came in and played reasonably well for a rookie forced into the starting lineup due to the injury to Slauson. His play was not that great, but reasonably high for a rookie. Feeney simply hasn't gotten any better. Using the first point as the evaluation of the GM, I think TT did his part. I am not sure I can say the same thing about the offensive coaches.

As far as the signing goes, when you have to rely on using FA, for almost every NFL team, that means you are admitting that your drafts are not working.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

There is a serious shortage of good OL in the NFL, and other teams are putting a higher priority on it than we are. Do you want to spend JuWan James type of money for JuWan James types of players ($12.75 mill per season for a 1 year wonders who were not that great even in the 1 year)?

The alternative is to draft OL high in the draft, which would have meant no Hebert or Murray in 2020 / Tillery or Adderley in 2019, no James or Nwosu in 2018.

I don't necessarily think all the blame goes on the GM. At some point, don't the coaches have some responsibility to make players better?

Guys like Feeney came in and played reasonably well for a rookie forced into the starting lineup due to the injury to Slauson. His play was not that great, but reasonably high for a rookie. Feeney simply hasn't gotten any better. Using the first point as the evaluation of the GM, I think TT did his part. I am not sure I can say the same thing about the offensive coaches.

As far as the signing goes, when you have to rely on using FA, for almost every NFL team, that means you are admitting that your drafts are not working.
                          I understand Hebert, when your qb is there, you have to take him. I understand James, you couldnt pass on his talent at that point in the draft. Any of the others, I would gave been happy with an OL.

I dont believe in continually passing on players at your highest need position at the top of the draft. In any three year period, at least one of your top two picks needs to be an OL. Thats just replacement level drafting at a position of scarcity.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X