• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Scott is only starting his 2nd game, after playing his college ball at Grambling, which isn't in the upper echelon on college football. But he fought back and did a good job down the stretch.

The whole OL needs to keep getting better in pass protection and in keeping the RB clean to get them upfield before contact on running plays. If we can do that, then Rivers is going to be much more effective in play action, and have easier to convert 2nd and 3rd downs.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Surprises: very encouraged by the OL play. Heyward looked better than I thought he would. LBs looked worse, way worse. Ty Long, oh yeah. And not surprised to see both Adderly and Tranquill making plays on ST. Matter of time...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Everything is happening according to my prediction.

Let me add here that the reason we are not seeing Forrest Lamp is that Feeney-Pouncey-Schofield are blocking like a chorus line, tight on every note.

We are getting there real fast folks.
        It is coming together.

Year 3. Pat Meyer. :smile:
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Scott is only starting his 2nd game, after playing his college ball at Grambling, which isn't in the upper echelon on college football. But he fought back and did a good job down the stretch.

The whole OL needs to keep getting better in pass protection and in keeping the RB clean to get them upfield before contact on running plays. If we can do that, then Rivers is going to be much more effective in play action, and have easier to convert 2nd and 3rd downs.
          Grambling State. Not even as good as Grambling. Scott looked about like what I expected. He did some good things, he looked lost a few times. He definitely has athleticism and some talent. Going to have to be patient, though.

The guy who looked a lot better was Feeney. Maybe he really did beat out Lamp.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Grambling State. Not even as good as Grambling. Scott looked about like what I expected. He did some good things, he looked lost a few times. He definitely has athleticism and some talent. Going to have to be patient, though.

The guy who looked a lot better was Feeney. Maybe he really did beat out Lamp.

TG
            Feeney's work with Oline guru Duke Manyweather has been a boon.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Agreed. Also not sure why I've seen us repeatedly try to use Keenan Allen like Mike Williams (not just in yesterday's game). I know it worked yesterday but that's not playing him to his strengths in reality. The guy is one of the best route runners in the league.
              8 RECs for 123 and a TD - I'm not seeing the problem on the KA side that you are seeing?
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• UglyTruth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post

Yes, Lynn said "we aren't going to leave him (Scott) on an island". But they did just that frequently.
                I don't think they took the Colts DL very seriously since there aren't any big name players on it.

It should (and better) be different when we play KC with Jones & Clark and Denver (with Von & Chubb) and other teams with a strong pass rush.
                Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

8 RECs for 123 and a TD - I'm not seeing the problem on the KA side that you are seeing?
                  I think he's saying that passes like the TD one to Allen shouldn't be thrown because that was basically a jump ball type situation which KA usually doesn't win and would have got picked off instead.

I agree somehwat with him becase yeah yeah it's great that KA got that one but in general, jump ball passes were usually thrown to guys like Tyrell and Mike Williams in the past and not to KA.
                  Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                  - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                  - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                  - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                  - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                  - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                  - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• SDBORN
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

I think he's saying that passes like the TD one to Allen shouldn't be thrown because that was basically a jump ball type situation which KA usually doesn't win and would have got picked off instead.

I agree somehwat with him becase yeah yeah it's great that KA got that one but in general, jump ball passes were usually thrown to guys like Tyrell and Mike Williams in the past and not to KA.
                    Exactly what I'm saying. I've seen us put him in those situations at times last year too. From what I recall it failed more often than it worked.

Comment

• SDBORN
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

UglyTruth summed up what I'm getting at.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Feeney's work with Oline guru Duke Manyweather has been a boon.
                        Agreed. His Indiana OL coach Greg Frey really loved Feeney's effort, attitude and willingness to work & compete. PFW's two time All American, top ranked OG in the '17 draft is a blue collar worker. Give him some time, he's not way gifted but he's working on it.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

I don't think they took the Colts DL very seriously since there aren't any big name players on it.

It should (and better) be different when we play KC with Jones & Clark and Denver (with Von & Chubb) and other teams with a strong pass rush.
                          They took them seriously enough to block for 125 rush yds, 6 ypc.
                          LAC's OL is a work in progress, hopefully. 3rd year for the coaches, 2nd for Pro Bowl C Pouncey.. Scho is a decent journeyman IMO. Feeney, Tevi, Scott, Lamp, Quis are young players with limited experience. It's obvious that the coaches expect game to game improvement. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                          X