Bolts at Cards Game Day Thread (Preseason #1)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
    I wasn't pleased about the way the Oline performed collectively. I missed the first two drives; but what i saw was the starters unable to control the line of scrimmage against 2nd - 3rd stringers. They couldn't really run the ball & the pass protection was just okay.

Not encouraging....& yes, Cardale Jones was part of the problem.
    Agree that run blocking wasn't all that strong, though pass pro was better...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
      One thing about MG is he doesn't let go of the rock. If I remember we lost a close game with Ekeler fumbling, hope he learns how to hold onto the ball.
      Ekkie was stripped of the rock as he was tackled. So, he needs to remember that when he gets tackled to secure the rock with BOTH hands...

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Ekeler was held up by the D in a goal line scrum, the defender came in and got his hand on a corner of the ball and ripped it free.

Ekeler should have had two arms protecting the ball.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree that run blocking wasn't all that strong, though pass pro was better...
          LOL! I thought the opposite. We drove the field no sweat when Tyrod was in. With Stick, run blocking was definitely better. Cardale didn't get anything going.
          Ek & JJ had good avgs. Pope & Cox had some decent carries. Newsome was disappointing.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
            Newsome was disappointing.
            I never understood the Newsome hype - seems like just a guy to me.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Gordon had 5 fumbles his first year and ball security was a big concern, but he worked at correcting it and now it isn't an issue. I'd have to rewatch the fumble play again, but it looked like Ekeler had a bit of trouble with the handoff so may never have secured it well.
              I was watching on a flight home, so small screen. but it looked like he had it perfectly secure. he got tied up/stood up by 2 defenders in a gang tackle and a 3rd defender came from the side and just ripped it away from him. 2 or 3 pulls on the ball and he got it out. Not a typical he got hit, he coughed it type fumble. He got mugged by a gang, hard to prevent if you leave your RB unprotected against 3 defenders stood up. Really could have called forward progress there but Eke being Eke, he was still fighting.

More OL standing up and working with him there instead of lying on the ground underneath this 3-on-1 mugging would be helpful.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, let's put it this way. Lamp started and played pretty much all the game at LG, and I didn't see TOO MUCH evidence of the pocket collapsing. That sack of Kordell was mainly because he held onto the rock too long and DIDN'T step up into the pocket...Pretty decent pass pro most of the night...Feeney wasn't too bad at center, either...no bobbled snaps at all, and pass pro on IOL was good...CORRECTION--LAMP had a few whiffs...still looks like a rook...see other thread on analysis...
                his new name Kordell cracks me up.

on his sack, it appeared his escape strategy was to run backwards to the parking lot and hide under a van. Alas he could only get 5 yards before they caught the Tater. youre 100% right, the pocket in front of him was there to step up into. The pressure was coming from the side and behind - but instead of stepping into the pocket he ran backwards right into the defenders like a frightened baby water buffalo. Croc-bait.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

I thought Lamp overall looked pretty good? I liked that the line stayed in most of the game. They need the work. What really impressed me was the patience of Ekeler and Jackson. They let blocks develop. It took Gordon a few years to do that. So when you have Gordon simply running into his OL we would blame the OL. But maybe these guys will let things develop and then hit the hole. Both have good acceleration through gaps. They may even get to full speed a lot faster than Gordon and with this OL it may work out great for us. I cant recall how many times a game in the past i would scream at Gordon to chill out and let blocks maturate. Leveon is the best at this. David Johnson is as well. I cant help but wonder how much better Gordon might be at this point with Lynn as his coach for 4 years.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Im thinking this season for the game threads we will start the week with an opponent game prep thread. Then roll that thread into the game thread.

My idea for this is to capture some fans from other teams. The teams we play each week. We are now the top Bolt Forum on the web. Guys will google Charger Forums and get us. And really only us. So hopefully that happens. A little smack and banter is fun.

By rolling the thread into the GDT it hopefully keeps those other fans with us through the game.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      I thought Lamp overall looked pretty good? I liked that the line stayed in most of the game. They need the work. What really impressed me was the patience of Ekeler and Jackson. They let blocks develop. It took Gordon a few years to do that. So when you have Gordon simply running into his OL we would blame the OL. But maybe these guys will let things develop and then hit the hole. Both have good acceleration through gaps. They may even get to full speed a lot faster than Gordon and with this OL it may work out great for us. I cant recall how many times a game in the past i would scream at Gordon to chill out and let blocks maturate. Leveon is the best at this. David Johnson is as well. I cant help but wonder how much better Gordon might be at this point with Lynn as his coach for 4 years.
                      this is Eke's 3rd year, not like he's still a raw UDFA. Can see the growth in him vs JJ last night imo. The OLs and the rush block scheme MG's first 2 years was much worse than now, he was hit behind the LOS so often it was a huge factor in his maturation imo. He's still their best RB if he were here imo, but we can live without. I thought OL and Offense overall looked pretty good early with a pro QB (TT), it went downhill fast with CJ and by the time Stick got in, there were alot of scrub on scrub messes that makes it hard to really judge.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Los Angeles
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

LOL! I thought the opposite. We drove the field no sweat when Tyrod was in. With Stick, run blocking was definitely better. Cardale didn't get anything going.
                        Ek & JJ had good avgs. Pope & Cox had some decent carries. Newsome was disappointing.

Yeah they were opening up some big holes to run through. Looked like pass blocking on the edges were the issue and occasionally the line getting pushed back into Tyrod Taylor.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

his new name Kordell cracks me up.

on his sack, it appeared his escape strategy was to run backwards to the parking lot and hide under a van. Alas he could only get 5 yards before they caught the Tater. youre 100% right, the pocket in front of him was there to step up into. The pressure was coming from the side and behind - but instead of stepping into the pocket he ran backwards right into the defenders like a frightened baby water buffalo. Croc-bait.
                          Yep. Kordell has been running into the welcome arms of blitzers for YEARS...hopefully, TT cuts him loose this year and poaches a developmental QB for our PS who actually has some upside...though Stick looks REAL good so far (except for that pick)...

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍