• Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Chargers rookie report card from preseason loss vs. Cardinals

By: Gavino Borquez | 5 hours ago

DT Jerry Tillery -- N/A

Tillery was held out of Thursday's game. It didn't come as much of a surprise, as the Chargers have been extra cautious with him since he's coming off a shoulder surgery for a torn labrum. Tillery recently started participating in team drills and it appears that he's making great strides, receiving reps with the first-team.

FS Nasir Adderley -- N/A

Like Tillery, Adderley didn't play in the preseason opener neither. He hasn't been able to participate that much in training camp, as he's been nursing a hamstring issue. Coach Anthony Lynn said that it was some "soreness" and that they want him to rest instead of re-aggravating it. The time he misses will be critical since he was expected to make a strong push for the starting free safety spot.

OT Trey Pipkins -- D

Pipkins' performance came as almost no surprise. Many expected there to be growing pains for the former Sioux Falls product, making the leap in competition from Division II to the NFL. Pipkins experienced them in his first professional preseason debut, as he was beat badly for a sack in the by Cardinals linebacker Pita Taumoepenu. Along with that, there were a few other instances where his opponent beat him off the edge and he gave up the edge on a couple run plays.

LB Drue Tranquill -- A

Tranquill came in to play the middle linebacker position late in the second quarter. He played the rest of the game, and the former Notre Dame product was dominant in his debut. Tranquill may have been the best defender on the field, showing up in run support with the team-leading five tackles and showcasing his former safety skills with the lone interception on the night. QB Easton Stick -- C+

Stick was up and down in his professional preseason debut. He threw a head-scratching interception to safety Tyler Sigler on a pass intended to wide receiver Jordan Smallwood. The pass was directly to Sigler, who was sitting underneath. He then followed that up with a nice drive, where he showed off his ability to win with his legs on a 31-yard rushing touchdown. That same drive had some good throws here and there, too. Not great, but not bad for Stick.

LB Emeke Egbule -- B-

Egbule didn't get any playing time until late in the game. The former Houston product didn't make much noise, but he did force a fumble, posted a tackle on running back Wes Hills and showed some hustle by chasing down a tight end on a catch and run.

DT Cortez Broughton -- B

Broughton led all defensive tackles in snaps with 30. Despite amassing only one tackle, he did show exactly what we saw from his college tape which is a quick first step to evade the backfield. On the run stop he had, he displayed great range as a defender to make the play.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

How long has this Adderly injury been going on now?
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

After evaluating the offensive line's performance in Arizona, Lynn said offensive tackle Sam Tevi was "physical in the run game," Dan Feeney "did an outstanding job for [Mike] Pouncey at center," and offensive linemen Trent Scott and Forrest Lamp are both "getting better."
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          Thanks for the visuals, cat...very useful !
          Now I must say, Sir, is it possible that your love for Detrez has colored your takes here ? Maybe. But Ek/JJ look so dynamic. We may need to keep Jeremy Cox over Detrez. See Ek's goal line mishap.

i just rewatched the game, in the patented, wu-dai, condensed, slo mo stop action mode.
          and this is what I saw.
          --I am over the moon about the left side of our Oline. It was just a glimpse, but Scott-Lamp-Feeney were destroying. Holes were opened up. Ek/JJ were reading well and had good rhythm. Shred that D. Gawd, can Pouncey play ORG ? Well Schofield looked OK. How about Scott-Lamp-Feeney-Pouncey-Schofield. Sammy the Ute to schwing tackle...jus' noodlin' here.
          --Lanier looked good.. The comp for roster spots @ Dline is gonna be tight. I remain confident the our defense is gonna be killer. Contain and inside pressure is how we will deal with the Kyler's and the Mahomes of the world.
          --It is a lot of fun to watch Tyrod & Easton, with their mobility. It really takes pressure off the Oline. Phil, get some track shoes. We wanna see you run for first downs and give us that signal.
          --I remain fearful that Okung's career might be over. We must not be selfish here. It is gonna be fun to watch Trent Scott develop. It all started with some grainy Grambling film, props to Emory Hunt aka Em Diggy. I am calling first on this dude. Diligence matters

That is all.

PSG1. Nothing more. Nothing less. Out.

wisdom of wu
          I dont have love for either but dont know why you would say this. I assume its based on his speed which i think many posters get to carried away with. Speed dont mean anything if you cant make anybody miss. Im hopefull that Cox can transition to the NFL and he has good size but i dont see much wiggle from him. Im thinking PS candidate.

As for the OL play, agree it was pretty good but it was against AZ who still isnt going to be a very good team and got rid of Nkemdiche prior to the game and now released Philon so that DL is even weaker.
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            How long has this Adderly injury been going on now?
            He injured a hammie on his Mar 22 Pro Day. I don't know if it's the same injury. I seem to remember they thought he was better, then he had a setback.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Just like always, Eks looks more explosive to me than Gordon. I look forward to seeing him on the field more often this year. Last year's sample size is too small to say he can't be our bell cow back.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont have love for either but dont know why you would say this. I assume its based on his speed which i think many posters get to carried away with. Speed dont mean anything if you cant make anybody miss. Im hopefull that Cox can transition to the NFL and he has good size but i dont see much wiggle from him. Im thinking PS candidate.

As for the OL play, agree it was pretty good but it was against AZ who still isnt going to be a very good team and got rid of Nkemdiche prior to the game and now released Philon so that DL is even weaker.
                Good points.

I am thinking in terms of Cox as a short yardage back, although he could use some of the proverbial lower pad level.

The Oline needed a game like this, to start to build confidence. Gashing run plays will help in pass pro, which is how anything at all positive can be said about, say, Yevi.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• AZBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

EKELER' need to hold on to the football, this is a problem......he almost fumbled on the previous play on the 5 yard line, watch if you didnt see.....you think that would have registered, but he fumbled on the very next play...unacceptable.... fumbles are game changing events

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I didnt see much from Newsome. 5 carries for 13 yards isn't going to wow anyone imo. Pope looked better, I'll give him a 1-0 lead at the quarter mark,
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Newsome hasn't looked like he's taken that next step, JJ does so that's good. Whoever behind Eck and JJ wants to step up, fine.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

The tape I've seen of Cox shows some of his runs with a single halfway decent cut, then he hits the jets. Need to see him with more game reps, especially with first string O-line to get a better sense of what he can do. Detrez was playing behind a patchwork O-line with Pip in his first pro game, Django at RT at times, Feeney playing at a new position, and Lamp with his first extended play anytime since college, and he was a bit rusty. We all know Detrez had a decent game last year when MG3 was out.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                          I didnt see much from Newsome. 5 carries for 13 yards isn't going to wow anyone imo. Pope looked better, I'll give him a 1-0 lead at the quarter mark,
                          I agree but based off of last year, we know Newsome is much better than he looked in this game.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X