• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

This was a tipped pass, but at least Pip and the rest of the O-line give Jones decent protection. Note Culkin in to help Tevi.

image.png
    Attached Files

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

This turned out to be a patented Hill scramble for big yardage. Egbule appears to have Hill in his grasp, but Hill slips away, eluding other Bolts. You just cannot overpursue vs. someone like Hill.

image.png

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Later on, Hill tries to scramble outside, but Teamer boxes him in, and importantly DOESN'T OVERPURSUE!!! When Hill tries to cut to the left, Teamer quickly recovers, and makes the tackle, with help. THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPRESSIVE PLAYS of the game!!! Teamer shows how to take correct angles to a slippery snake like Hill. Teamer also shows how to set the edge and box the ball carrier to the inside where there's help. And Teamer was in on other tackles as well. I think Teamer is so good, he can actually fill in for Derwin in a lot of packages. Please, TT, DON'T send Teamer to the PS or he gets poached. Guaranteed!!!

image.png
        Last edited by Topcat; 08-18-2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

On that 2-pt conversion attempt, Hill gets nailed by Lanier for the sack!

image.png
          Attached Files

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Any injury reports yet?

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Any news on Nwoasu?

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Pope is making a serious run for a roster spot. I was not really impressed by him last year, but he is really working hard. He is finishing runs, he is doing a good job of PR. I actually liked his 1st return almost as much as his 2nd. The problem with Scott as a return guy is he runs sideways way too much. Pope took it upfield and got a few yards on his first attempt. Boring, but the difference between being a good PR guy and bottom half of the league is getting upfield and getting a 4-6 yards on punts where there is nothing there, instead of trying to make something happen that isn't there and losing 2 or 3 yards. JJ Jones did a great job in preseason last year of going north sourth, then fucked up by going all east west in the regular season.

I liked what Cox did on his 2 catches. He didn't get any carries because he didn't get to play RB until too late in the game, so that remains to be seen. BUt in college, he tends to get a little tap-dancy, trying to juke guys and make people miss. He didn't do that vs NO. He stuck his foot into the ground, got upfield and hit people. That is what 225 lb RB are supposed to do. He is too big and not nimble enough to maintain speed in his cuts if he is juking. He needs to hit his crease and go. The best runs vs NO were all like that, and while they won't always be, Cox loses more speed than all the small RB.

Lanier made some nice plays as a pass rusher, but he needs to stop allowing guys like Hill to get outside of him and needs to play the run better. He has been pretty ordinary as far as a run defender, and it is mostly because of what is between his ears. He needs to read and react better. He has the wheels to be a good pass rusher though.

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  Pass pro had some bad moments, and it's not all on the O-line. On this play, Ekkie (circled) is supposed to protect vs. the blitz on the right side. Instead of staying on Tyrod's flank, he dives into the middle between Scho and Feeney and gets buried uselessly, while a Saint rusher has a clean shot at Tyrod. (next photo)

image.png
                  I disagree, on the play you're referencing Eckler picked up the correct rusher coming from the inside and number 75 Schofield just lets his guy free on the outside to the QB. Schofield had no one else to block but 24. As a RB you always pick up the inside blitz before the outside and the extra rusher was coming from the inside. If Scho gets his man thats a fine bit of pass blocking. In actuality this was one more oopsie on the OL

BTW great breakdown, its fun to watch through the video with you. I dont always get to break down tape with other people. Good stuff keep it up
                  Last edited by Budsman; 08-18-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Agree about Pope, he puts together a few more positive plays in the next couple of games, he should get on the 53.

Cox looks very PS guy, his pass protection didn't exist.

Lanier did as good a job against Hill as most starters would, plus sacked him. He should be on the 53.

Our best OL are backups lol.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I disagree, on the play you're referencing Eckler picked up the correct rusher coming from the inside and number 75 Schofield just lets his guy free on the outside to the QB. Schofield had no one else to block but 24. As a RB you always pick up the inside blitz before the outside and the extra rusher was coming from the inside. If Scho gets his man thats a fine bit of pass blocking. In actuality this was one more oopsie on the OL

BTW great breakdown, its fun to watch through the video with you. I dont always get to break down tape with other people. Good stuff keep it up
                      Budsman is correct, that RB read their assignments inside out. Ekeler was correct to stay inside. I just don't know if he blocked the right guy or not.

It depends on what protection is called. So there are 4 defenders rushing (DT, DE, LB #56 and DB - #25). We have Feeney (C), Schofield (RG) and Tevi (RT) and Ekeler blocking them. Both Ekeler and Schofield try and go for the LB.

IF we are in a big on big protection, then the LB is "probably" the OG responsibility, and the RB needs to get the DB. That would mean Ekeler screwed up. If they had another protection called, then Schofield might have messed up by not going with the DB and letting Ekeler go "hunting" the LB, who is threatening both the A gaps, and the offensive right B gap.

I tend to think it was probably Ekeler, since Schofield and Feeney traded off the LB to Feeney and the DT to Schofield, but it's not clear that it is definitely that was how it should have worked.

In defense of Ekeler, our OL really struggles at times with those inside twists, stunts and delayed blitzes. It's easy when teams do it so often against us, to jump at the first thing the D throws at you, and not stick with it that extra split second to see what they are really throwing at you. He saw the LB and that is the kind of thing that just killed us late last year, so he went for it, when he needed to be a bit more patient. That is why it is so important to get the OL and RB together and keep them together as long as we can.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Topcat, nice work.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

From Saints commentary

2.*The man was unblockable*: If you ever want to call a one-tackle performance dominant, look no further than defensive end Trey Hendrickson, who practically lived in the Chargers' backfield pretty much every play he was in there in the first half. He forced three holding penalties, hurried quarterback Tyrod Taylor into several incompletions, and was just a one-man wrecking crew. He lined up on both sides at end, but was most effective on the left side where Chargers right tackle Sam Tevi will be seeing Hendrickson in his nightmares. Good to see Trey making the most of his extended reps in the preseason, since Cam Jordan still has not played.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X