• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

I am not feeling overly optimistic about the start of the season. I could be wrong and hope I am. But losing three players who were Pro Bowlers last season, including the leading scorer is not something any team can just easily overcome.

As much as I really like Austin Ekeler and am impressed by Justin Jackson, I am far from convinced they are going step in and fill the hole left by the absence of Gordon (whom TT should not cave into IMO). I think Ekeler has excelled in his role as a change of pace to MG for a reason, because that is the perfect role for him. Jackson is largely untested and may be better suited for the same type of role Ekeler has played. I anticipate Ekeler and Jackson will share an equal workload in a committee, taking about 90 percent of the entire RB workload. I am not sure that is going replace MG. Those who believe that JJ is going to step in take over for MG as the feature back and equal or exceed MG's play...well I think that is a pipe dream. I could be wrong - I frequently am - but the chances of JJ becoming an elitish back of MG's caliber are slim IMO. In the Rivers era, this team has excelled when the offense is balanced by a strong running back. First LT, then in RM's best season of his career the Bolts were back in the playoffs after a several year drought, then with the emergence of MG the Bolts are back as an elite team. Rivers has needed a bell cow RB to make this team successful. RB by committee by choice will be a new thing. Maybe it works. But I have some doubts.

Then you have the loss of a Pro Bowl LT, the best player on a very shaky OL, the weakest unit on the team. The plan appears to go with a 2018 UDFA (Scott) at that position. SMH. That's all I can say.

Then we lose our enforcer on the back end of the defense, a player who did everything last season, who was a major contributor to the defense's success last season. He will be replaced by an admirable alternative in AP, but AP is not going to replace DJ. Opposite AP the choices are just guys in Jenkins and Watkins and a rookie. And in packages when AP is a dime LB, who's going to protect the back end? I cringe.

I could be wrong. As I said, I frequently am. But I think this team could be .500 after ten games. But after week 11, if James, Okung and Gordon are back, this team could go 6-0 to close out the season and roll into the playoffs as a Wild Card and the hottest team in the league. I feel this is a very possible scenario. So I am not pessimistic about the season as a whole. I do believe, however, this team could struggle out of the gate, minus three Pro Bowl players.

Also, if Gordon doesn't report for the start of the season and the tandem of Ekeler/Jackson is not getting it done 3-4 games in, I think TT will find a way to bring MG back real quick.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

With only Gordon, Okung and James out, the Chargers are away from a .500 team. The defense was decimated last year and they were only one game from the AFC Championship game. Bosa was not there for the first 4 or 5 games. Perryman missed more than half of the year, etc. I know Okung is a big piece to replace but like the tittle of this thread says, the defense could win some games. Have you seen Tllery against NO ? With the depth chart of the August 22, the Chargers will not be 10-0 after 10 but they will not be 5-5. I see them at 6-4 or 7-3.

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

Dare I say we haven't even played one real game and already lost major players.That has to factor into the equation.Jus sayin....

Comment

• OhioBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Also, if Gordon doesn't report for the start of the season and the tandem of Ekeler/Jackson is not getting it done 3-4 games in, I think TT will find a way to bring MG back real quick.
          Gordon was good at breaking tackles but that was only once he got through the the whole, Gordon doesn't have great vision. Ekeler and Jackson do have great vision and they will need it becuase this line hasn't show they can create holes with any kind of consistencey. With this line Gordon wouldn't see the small crease and he will just try to barrell his way to yardage thus creating no yardage, or negative yardage, or worse resulting in his regularity of getting injured limping of to the sideline.

I feel really confident about our D get us the ball back more often before Derwin James injury, I am about 75% confident without Derwin James, Adrian Phillips will not be able to do what Derwin James can do, but one thing for sure the supporting cast is better overall having a healthy Joey Bosa, makes a better Melvin Ingram,having and improved Justin Jones, Tillery looks like he is going to be trouble for opponents, having a veteran LB in Thomas who has so much knowledge to help the D be in the right position then the depth at LB on Unosw, White, Brown, Tranquill. Back end again cause for concern minus James, but I expect Hayward will return to the 2017 form, Desmond King will be Desmond King, two players who I think actually make a jump this year are Micheal Davis the fastest player on our D has benefited from the experience of starting last year, and Rashawn Jenkins just looks like a different player, hopefully Trevor Williams can get healthy soon and Adderly get up to speed.

Lot of what if and question marks on offense from the O-line will they be at least average, to open wholes running, to not getting Rivers killed, to just how effective Eckler and Jackson can be which is tied to the O-line.

On Defense the only question is if James wasn't injured how dominate can these D be? Right now they will be good, with James they could be great!

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
            Dare I say we haven't even played one real game and already lost major players.That has to factor into the equation.Jus sayin....
            We arguably lost more/had a less serviceable OL the beginning of last season. Just sayin...

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

Gordon was good at breaking tackles but that was only once he got through the the whole, Gordon doesn't have great vision. Ekeler and Jackson do have great vision and they will need it becuase this line hasn't show they can create holes with any kind of consistencey. With this line Gordon wouldn't see the small crease and he will just try to barrell his way to yardage thus creating no yardage, or negative.
              I'm not sure where you get this from. Gordon scored 14 touchdowns last season. He's been a touchdown machine the past 3 seasons, at the top of the league. You don't accomplish this unless you are really, really good.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

MGIII is sitting out for a pay raise. Okung's return is uncertain. Maybe by mid-season, maybe never. James has a bent screw, maybe back @ early Dec.
                Nwosu is on limited snaps for a few weeks more or less. Anyone else?
                Perryman, Tillery, Williams & Adderley are fully practicing.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

We arguably lost more/had a less serviceable OL the beginning of last season. Just sayin...
                  They had less experience together. Feeney in yr 2, Pouncey was a quality upgrade but new, Schofield was a new jouneyman starter at RG. Barksdale stunk, replaced by rookie Tevi. Okung was the only returning vet.
                  I'm looking forward to Lamp-Pouncey-Feeney in the middle. Scott is good enough, he & Tevi may surprise in a good way when PR & the starting O play. It absolutely makes a difference when the starters take the field with a gameplan.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    I'm not sure where you get this from. Gordon scored 14 touchdowns last season. He's been a touchdown machine the past 3 seasons, at the top of the league. You don't accomplish this unless you are really, really good.
                    Melvin is good, but nobody on here is going to say he is really, really good and alot of us say 10 mill is a more than a generous offer. There areRB's that score 10 a year easily but alot of them come inside 10 yard line like Melvin. You have to look at the whole body of work when evaluating Gordon last year was the first year he average over 4 yards per carry, don't foget ZERO TD's his Rookie year, even Ryan Mathews scored in his rookie season 7 TD's, in Ryan Mathews carreer he had only one season where he didn't average 4 yards or better rushing.

Let's no get it twisted Melvin Gordon is a good running back, he may or may not be on the verge of becoming a really good back, but he is not really, really good back or else we would of signed him by now.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

E=blueman;n812284]

We arguably lost more/had a less serviceable OL the beginning of last season. Just sayin...[/QUOTE]
                      Season aint even started,jus sayin..

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

E=blueman;n812284]

[/QUOTE]

True dat. It's hard to judge a group we haven't seen play as a unit. Hell, we don't even know the starting lineup for certain. Pouncey is a lock at C, LT Scott & RT Tevi probable OTs. Feeney, Schofield, Lamp - 2 are probable OGs but which ones on which side?

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                          True dat. It's hard to judge a group we haven't seen play as a unit. Hell, we don't even know the starting lineup for certain. Pouncey is a lock at C, LT Scott & RT Tevi probable OTs. Feeney, Schofield, Lamp - 2 are probable OGs but which ones on which side?[/QUOTE]

Don't try to confuse things with facts.

Comment

Working...
                          X