• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

A lot of focus on weaknesses:

the chargers appear improved on the defensive line, linebacker, tight end, the interior of the oline, perhaps at corner and even wide receiver with Mike Williams emergence.

this team will be okay if they avoid another major injury to a key player or two.

Comment

• SYB
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
      Dare I say we haven't even played one real game and already lost major players.That has to factor into the equation.Jus sayin....
      We had no Bosa until week 11, no Henry, basically all year and lost a starting LB in White game 1. Shit happens. And Gordon isn't injured, so it isn't like health is a factor once he decides to quit his bullshit.

Getting back on topic, Bosa's healthy, we're suddenly deep and talented at LB, Mebane isn't struggling with watching a child die and Philips has already proven that he can save this D's ass when called upon to step up. This defense should start off better than last year, even without James.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

I feel really confident about our D get us the ball back more often before Derwin James injury, I am about 75% confident without Derwin James, Adrian Phillips will not be able to do what Derwin James can do, but one thing for sure the supporting cast is better overall having a healthy Joey Bosa, makes a better Melvin Ingram,having and improved Justin Jones, Tillery looks like he is going to be trouble for opponents, having a veteran LB in Thomas who has so much knowledge to help the D be in the right position then the depth at LB on Unosw, White, Brown, Tranquill. Back end again cause for concern minus James, but I expect Hayward will return to the 2017 form, Desmond King will be Desmond King, two players who I think actually make a jump this year are Micheal Davis the fastest player on our D has benefited from the experience of starting last year, and Rashawn Jenkins just looks like a different player, hopefully Trevor Williams can get healthy soon and Adderly get up to speed.
        Phillips isn't the player James is, but he does have the versatility. If he isn't in the SS spot he'll be in his role as the hybrid corner/safety/linebacker, the nickelback or linebacker, whatever you want to call it. If the Chargers didn't retain his services, another team would've taken him. I thought he was an underrated player before he made the pro bowl.

Cornerbacks usually go on the decline when they get to their 30s. Hayward is going to be 30 after the Colts game. He regressed IMO. Hayward isn't as explosive as he was his first two years with the Chargers. But he's still good in spots. The hope is that Trevor Williams returns to his 2017 form or even improve on it. Michael Davis might improve, he's had his bad and good moments.

Linebacker was depleted last year but seems to be an improvement. I think Thomas Davis will help in the run game, but I'm not sure if you can rely on him in coverage too much. He's 36 years old. White, Tranquill, and maybe Brown are the ones who have the coverage skills. Perryman is so-so at covering. A lot of teams play nickel defense, but Gus Bradley likes to play the dime. When you have less linebackers you better be good up front on the D-line. Which brings me to my next point.

Prior to 2019, it was known that Bosa and Ingram needed help. They can't do it all themselves. Players tire out. DL is the most physically demanding. It's best to have good depth. One of the weaknesses of the team is up the middle on defense. The addition of Tillery is great, but you need more than that. Mebane doesn't play on obvious passing downs, he contributes on run stopping. His play is slowly dropping off, although he can still makes good plays. Jones was drafted last year, and reports from camp is that he's gotten better. It's uncertain though if he can be on passing downs for a huge amount of time. Rochell can play on the interior on passing downs, and when he isn't he is on the edge. Rochell can play on the edge but he doesn't have the speed needed to get off of the OT quickly. You're going to need guys with speed on the edge to get to the QB quicker. Nwosu is behind Bosa and Ingram on edge rushing. Just him might not be enough. We're going to need another guy after Nwosu. This is where Lanier or Peace could help out.

Square is the weakest link on the DL. His value is his versatility and he's a good hustle player. But Square doesn't excel in any of DT, NT, or DE. He is a weak D linemen. He gets overpowered by the oppositions interior OL and he is too slow for an edge rusher. See the Cardinals game from last year for an example of what I'm talking about. When Arizona took the lead on the Chargers first, before the game turned around. The defense is not going to elevate to the next level with a player like Damion Square.

Broughton could provide the spark the team needs on the interior of the defense other than Tillery. His potential can't be passed on. He's shown what he can do. I hope he makes the 53 man roster.

Originally posted by SYB View Post

We had no Bosa until week 11, no Henry, basically all year and lost a starting LB in White game 1. Shit happens. And Gordon isn't injured, so it isn't like health is a factor once he decides to quit his bullshit.

Getting back on topic, Bosa's healthy, we're suddenly deep and talented at LB, Mebane isn't struggling with watching a child die and Philips has already proven that he can save this D's ass when called upon to step up. This defense should start off better than last year, even without James.
        I think the defense is getting closer to being really good, but the team doesn't quite have it all together. Especially to be near number 1. We'll have to see who makes the official roster heading into the regular season. I made my case about the pieces on the defense.
        Last edited by ChargersPowderBlue; 08-23-2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• SDBORN
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Phillips isn't the player James is, but he does have the versatility. If he isn't in the SS spot he'll be in his role as the hybrid corner/safety/linebacker, the nickelback or linebacker, whatever you want to call it. If the Chargers didn't retain his services, another team would've taken him. I thought he was an underrated player before he made the pro bowl.

Cornerbacks usually go on the decline when they get to their 30s. Hayward is going to be 30 after the Colts game. He regressed IMO. Hayward isn't as explosive as he was his first two years with the Chargers. But he's still good in spots. The hope is that Trevor Williams returns to his 2017 form or even improve on it. Michael Davis might improve, he's had his bad and good moments.

Linebacker was depleted last year but seems to be an improvement. I think Thomas Davis will help in the run game, but I'm not sure if you can rely on him in coverage too much. He's 36 years old. White, Tranquill, and maybe Brown are the ones who have the coverage skills. Perryman is so-so at covering. A lot of teams play nickel defense, but Gus Bradley likes to play the dime. When you have less linebackers you better be good up front on the D-line. Which brings me to my next point.

Prior to 2019, it was known that Bosa and Ingram needed help. They can't do it all themselves. Players tire out. DL is the most physically demanding. It's best to have good depth. One of the weaknesses of the team is up the middle on defense. The addition of Tillery is great, but you need more than that. Mebane doesn't play on obvious passing downs, he contributes on run stopping. His play is slowly dropping off, although he can still makes good plays. Jones was drafted last year, and reports from camp is that he's gotten better. It's uncertain though if he can be on passing downs for a huge amount of time. Rochell can play on the interior on passing downs, and when he isn't he is on the edge. Rochell can play on the edge but he doesn't have the speed needed to get off of the OT quickly. You're going to need guys with speed on the edge to get to the QB quicker. Nwosu is behind Bosa and Ingram on edge rushing. Just him might not be enough. We're going to need another guy after Nwosu. This is where Lanier or Peace could help out.

Square is the weakest link on the DL. His value is his versatility and he's a good hustle player. But Square doesn't excel in any of DT, NT, or DE. He is a weak D linemen. He gets overpowered by the oppositions interior OL and he is too slow for an edge rusher. See the Cardinals game from last year for an example of what I'm talking about. When Arizona took the lead on the Chargers first, before the game turned around. The defense is not going to elevate to the next level with a player like Damion Square.

Broughton could provide the spark the team needs on the interior of the defense other than Tillery. His potential can't be passed on. He's shown what he can do. I hope he makes the 53 man roster.

I think the defense is getting closer to being really good, but the team doesn't quite have it all together. Especially to be near number 1. We'll have to see who makes the official roster heading into the regular season. I made my case about the pieces on the defense.
          Completely agree with you about Hayward. I think he will continue to decline which is sad. I expect him to get burned a lot this season. His one saving grace could be the pressure provided by the DLINE.

Hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Completely agree with you about Hayward. I think he will continue to decline which is sad. I expect him to get burned a lot this season. His one saving grace could be the pressure provided by the DLINE.

The reports of Hayward's demise have been greatly exaggerated. He was fine last year he just did not get the ints. He has never relied on pure speed so even losing a bit will not hurt him. I think people will be surprised when he has a better season this year than last.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

The reports of Hayward's demise have been greatly exaggerated. He was fine last year he just did not get the ints. He has never relied on pure speed so even losing a bit will not hurt him. I think people will be surprised when he has a better season this year than last.
              I expect DBs to have a very good year based on our DL/edge rush talent. We're strong up front, may contend for NFL best. There are going to be ill timed, poorly thrown, tipped balls. Hayward will find a fair number.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Agree. From PFF rankings for all CBs in the NFL last season:
                14. CASEY HAYWARD JR., LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

It wasn't quite the production we saw from Hayward in 2017, but some of that wasn't his fault. Quarterbacks simply stopped targeting Hayward as much this season. He was the third-least targeted cornerback per coverage snap. The Chargers corner allowed only 32 catches all season.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Agree. From PFF rankings for all CBs in the NFL last season:
                  14. CASEY HAYWARD JR., LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

It wasn't quite the production we saw from Hayward in 2017, but some of that wasn't his fault. Quarterbacks simply stopped targeting Hayward as much this season. He was the third-least targeted cornerback per coverage snap. The Chargers corner allowed only 32 catches all season.
                  Good, savvy takes. FF, sonora too. Casey looks quick in PS. Bounce back year, if it can be called that.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Umm....I disagree on Davis not being able to cover TE and RB in pass pro. He may be 36, but he can still fly. I guess u missed reports of him stride for stride vs a WR in one of the scrimmages against the other teams.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Hayward was getting beat a lot that I saw last season, just the QB threw it to other side for some reason, or got sacked, etc.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

NFL coaches are smart and there is a reason why they tried the other side much more than Haywards side and it isn't really complicated as to why.

Comment

• SDBORN
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Umm....I disagree on Davis not being able to cover TE and RB in pass pro. He may be 36, but he can still fly. I guess u missed reports of him stride for stride vs a WR in one of the scrimmages against the other teams.
                          Huh? Where did I mention Davis?

Comment

Working...
                          X