• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think we will pick sooner than 19 and I would not pick Swift. Right now I think we are the 10th pick and finish 6-10
    personally suspect we make it up to 8-8 before season's end, and.... if we were picking as you surmise, would add CeeDee (Cedarian) Lamb, Isaiah Simmons and Tristan Wirfs to the other two, albeit would be hard pressed to take any of 'em before Brown, albeit again really like the idea of adding Swift.
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

The downside to bringing back Rivers is;
      Another repeat of what has happened for 10 seasons in a row. Not able to win the AFC West.
      Possibly another slow start.
      At worst, a couple injuries to o line and Rivers not getting top notch protection. And a season full of excuses and the blame game with winnable games lost.

The upside of bringing Rivers back;
      He is a veteran who will compete and ball out. Will not turtle up and played scared.
      At best a good season and a wildcard spot with a chance to make a run at the trophy.

But what is likely to happen?
      Not win the AFC West again.
      So it will have to be a wildcard spot to make playoffs.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The downside to Rivers coming back is the 10 million posts complaining about him that you guys will leave in every thread.
        Rich, do you honestly see a way Rivers does not continue to make the mental mistakes? Are those mistakes all someone else’s fault, and somehow the team will eliminate the whatever-it-is and everything will be fine?

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
          The downside to bringing back Rivers is;
          Another repeat of what has happened for 10 seasons in a row. Not able to win the AFC West.
          Possibly another slow start.
          At worst, a couple injuries to o line and Rivers not getting top notch protection. And a season full of excuses and the blame game with winnable games lost.

The upside of bringing Rivers back;
          He is a veteran who will compete and ball out. Will not turtle up and played scared.
          At best a good season and a wildcard spot with a chance to make a run at the trophy.

But what is likely to happen?
          Not win the AFC West again.
          So it will have to be a wildcard spot to make playoffs.
          I highly doubt that after all these years, Rivers suddenly gets non-turtle up and non rock-slinging for picks religion...

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I highly doubt that after all these years, Rivers suddenly gets non-turtle up and non rock-slinging for picks religion...
            Rivers is going to post all of Topcat's messages in his den this offseason; he'll come out smoking next season.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Rich, do you honestly see a way Rivers does not continue to make the mental mistakes? Are those mistakes all someone else’s fault, and somehow the team will eliminate the whatever-it-is and everything will be fine?
              I think the way Rivers played last year was easily good enough to be a serious playoff contending QB and we won as many regular season and playoff games as the Chiefs did before we both lost to the Patriot juggernaut. I see no noticeable decline in his physical skills like we saw in Manning in his last year in Denver. He had 12 interceptions last year and has 15 so far this year. Some of them were awful decisions or just bad passes at bad times, but you are talking about what will likely a difference of 5 or 6 more interceptions out of nearly 600 passes. Fix 1 bad pass out of 100 and the season is massively different.

We all know he isn't mobile and is near the end. I don't "blame" others for his bad decisions but if you ignore the effect the really bad line he is behind, missing Henry for 4 games, the garbage that is our 3 thru 6th receivers, some play calling so bad it got our OC fired, Gordon's hold out and then Lynn's insistence on forcing him back at the expense of using Ekeler and Jackson more, than it does explain some of the drop off. I saw an anonymous quote from an AFC GM that said the Rivers clearly does not trust his offensive line. It shows. Stick any other QB behind that line and they will also suffer from it.

So I guess my answer is give him a better line and I think he can cut down on some of the bonehead passes. He will always be a gunslinger type and take chances that will lead to big plays and occasionally some interceptions. I think it's worth bringing him back for a year or two more and if you believe Popper, that is what is likely to happen. If he decides to hang it up, than I want to draft someone and start the rebuild now. No interest at all in trying Taylor as I know it will end just like his Buffalo years and we will be outside looking in.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Okay, so NEXT YEAR Rivers is REALLY going to ALMOST stop slinging the rock into coverage for picks that lose us games...sigh...
                LOL...man Cat...your killing me. You and a few others on here...it's like your all Michael Corleone, and Phillip is Fredo...he has certainly let us down a few times thru the years, so you feel betrayed. I get it. "You broke our hearts, Phillip....you broke our hearts...."

For some of you guys, Rivers already sleeps with the fishes...but I have seen him also come thru in the big games...I have seen him overachieve...and I think he has some game left...so if we keep him a few more years, and build a good team around him, and a rookie QB inherits that team...what is the harm in that?

Look....the end is nigh...be it this year, or just a couple more...and I do hope we are keeping our eye out for the next guy...if someone we love falls to us this year or next....get him. But trading away the farm right now will only make things worse...and living with ol' Phil at QB for a few more years? Fine by me...I'm not gonna hate on the guy cuz he is too passionate...
                The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think the way Rivers played last year was easily good enough to be a serious playoff contending QB and we won as many regular season and playoff games as the Chiefs did before we both lost to the Patriot juggernaut. I see no noticeable decline in his physical skills like we saw in Manning in his last year in Denver. He had 12 interceptions last year and has 15 so far this year. Some of them were awful decisions or just bad passes at bad times, but you are talking about what will likely a difference of 5 or 6 more interceptions out of nearly 600 passes. Fix 1 bad pass out of 100 and the season is massively different.

We all know he isn't mobile and is near the end. I don't "blame" others for his bad decisions but if you ignore the effect the really bad line he is behind, missing Henry for 4 games, the garbage that is our 3 thru 6th receivers, some play calling so bad it got our OC fired, Gordon's hold out and then Lynn's insistence on forcing him back at the expense of using Ekeler and Jackson more, than it does explain some of the drop off. I saw an anonymous quote from an AFC GM that said the Rivers clearly does not trust his offensive line. It shows. Stick any other QB behind that line and they will also suffer from it.

So I guess my answer is give him a better line and I think he can cut down on some of the bonehead passes. He will always be a gunslinger type and take chances that will lead to big plays and occasionally some interceptions. I think it's worth bringing him back for a year or two more and if you believe Popper, that is what is likely to happen. If he decides to hang it up, than I want to draft someone and start the rebuild now. No interest at all in trying Taylor as I know it will end just like his Buffalo years and we will be outside looking in.
                  Solid...look, Rivers isn't Joe Montana...he has flaws...his biggest is he does play emotional. I put myself in River's shoes, and I can almost feel what he felt when he watched one of the best rosters on paper, going into this season, start to fall apart right from the start due to injury. He has to be feeling the press, being as competitive as he is, of father time, and the end nearing...I agree he got a little panicky, and tried too hard to take it all on himself.

I'm cool if we move forward without him...there is some sense in that, especially if a really good prospect falls to us this year...but I am also very cool with keeping him on for just a couple more years, and continuing to build the team around him....and seeing if he can take that final step, and evolve into a cool headed gunslinger. Phillip's best football often happens when he has nothing to lose, or when no one expects anything out of us...maybe this old dog can learn a new trick....learn to play all zen like...I'm rooting for him.
                  The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

LOL...man Cat...your killing me. You and a few others on here...it's like your all Michael Corleone, and Phillip is Fredo...he has certainly let us down a few times thru the years, so you feel betrayed. I get it. "You broke our hearts, Phillip....you broke our hearts...."

For some of you guys, Rivers already sleeps with the fishes...but I have seen him also come thru in the big games...I have seen him overachieve...and I think he has some game left...so if we keep him a few more years, and build a good team around him, and a rookie QB inherits that team...what is the harm in that?

Look....the end is nigh...be it this year, or just a couple more...and I do hope we are keeping our eye out for the next guy...if someone we love falls to us this year or next....get him. But trading away the farm right now will only make things worse...and living with ol' Phil at QB for a few more years? Fine by me...I'm not gonna hate on the guy cuz he is too passionate...
                    I don't know, Lone, I'm getting tired of watching endless re-runs of The Riverboat Comedy Hour, when you wonder how he's going to melt down and cause us to lose next...agree he's still got SOME game left...which makes it all the more frustrating...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Michael Corleone says to Fredo...
                      "When you visit our Mother, I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there."

Still one of my favorite movie quotes.

cat says to Rivers...
                      "When Spanos retires number 17,
                      I want to know in advance.,
                      so I can shut off my TV."
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

personally suspect we make it up to 8-8 before season's end, and.... if we were picking as you surmise, would add CeeDee (Cedarian) Lamb, Isaiah Simmons and Tristan Wirfs to the other two, albeit would be hard pressed to take any of 'em before Brown, albeit again really like the idea of adding Swift.
                        Brown goes top 8 beachcomber - so you won't have to worry about that.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Michael Corleone says to Fredo...
                          "When you visit our Mother, I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there."

Still one of my favorite movie quotes.

cat says to Rivers...
                          "When Spanos retires number 17,
                          I want to know in advance.,
                          so I can shut off my TV."
                          It will be a bittersweet moment, just like when PR probably gets into the HOF...happy for him, but with that lingering disappointment of what COULD have been, had he just been a bit more patient, a bit more self-controlled, a bit less reckless...sigh...

Comment

Working...
                          X