• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biggestfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

The only thing I can take from the winners of these games so far, especially the 49ers, is its important to invest in the defensive line.

Comment

• Silversurfer
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Los Angeles
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Biggestfan View Post
      The only thing I can take from the winners of these games so far, especially the 49ers, is its important to invest in the defensive line.
      And O-line, Tenn was manhandling Baltimore's D-line.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post

And O-line, Tenn was manhandling Baltimore's D-line.
        Its not hard - OL and DL

My guess, TElesco will draft Jeudy , Lamb or CB at 6

(this is an organization that has yet to fire any coaches from a 5-11 season. this isn't change for change sake. this is horrible special teams having the same coach).

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Midwestbolt View Post
          Now that this weekends games are in the books, I was revisiting the idea about running the ball (effectively) and balanced offenses are keys to success in season, but moreso in post season.

looking at in season stats only:

The number one running team, Baltimore, not only got beat, but soundly beat by Tenn, who in aggregate is probably about #4 in rushing.

The # 2 team in running the ball, SF, soundly defeated the vikings, who were statistically on par with Tenn in attempts/yardage aggregate.

The first of these games intrigued me the most:

Baltimore, who by far and away, was the top rushing team, (averaging 60 yards/game more than #2 san fran), ran to the tune of 180 yards and totaled 530 yards in the loss. (yes, some was late game yards, but they earned those yards regardless). Was the stat of the game turnovers? 2 INT and 1 fumble lead to 14 points. Not insurmountable when you realize Baltimore had 77% more Yards (530 to 300) and 74% more total plays (92 to 53). They won TOP, doubled up the titans on 1st downs, and edged them out on several other game stats. Yet to me, it didn't seem like the Ravens were ever in control of the game. The game was dictated to them by the titans from the first quarter.

So....turnovers? In a nutshell, yes - but maybe a secondary question to ask is, the #1 running team in the NFL lead by a QB who is their leading rusher (as in #6 leading rusher in yds in the nfl.) the "new generation/new NFL/new era" of dynamic offense lead by a running QB, was stopped cold. For the second year in a row I may add.

On a side note, the other prototypical, new generation, running QB's team was soundly tromped in KC. Blame the defense, but the Texans Offense could not keep up even being spotted 14 pts by a blocked punt and KC fumble on the 6 yd line. I never knew KC was noted for their overwhelming defense. Now, I don't believe Houston is the better team, or should have won - but think on this: Patrick Mahomes isn't a "running" QB but closer to a traditional QB who has great vision and outstanding mobility. But in essence, he is not part of the new era of QB's. He's more like a faster Arron Rodgers.

Very small sample size, but maybe this brave new world of running QBs taking over the NFL is a little premature.
          Rodgers is/was faster than Mahomes. Both have great field vision and know when to exploit defenses by running the football.
          Last edited by powderblueboy; 01-13-2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• pacstud
            Black Belt Poster
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

You win to run, not run to win.

This has been explored and explained by many smarter than myself.

You pass because you're losing (often).

So looking at net running/passing stats is futile.

You win to run, period.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Its not hard - OL and DL

My guess, TElesco will draft Jeudy , Lamb or CB at 6

(this is an organization that has yet to fire any coaches from a 5-11 season. this isn't change for change sake. this is horrible special teams having the same coach).
              Hey, you forgot 4.39 WILL/Safety/Slot... You want your defenders fast.... We play modern-day defense. You know... oh stit, here they come... I'm getting the fuck out of the way... thank god I'm fast...

We can always get our OL from Northwest Southern State. They'll develop...

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Hey, you forgot 4.39 WILL/Safety/Slot... You want your defenders fast.... We play modern-day defense. You know... oh stit, here they come... I'm getting the fuck out of the way... thank god I'm fast...

Yes, you’d be an absolute fool to forget a top 5 talent we you draft @#6, Duh!
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Yes, you’d be an absolute fool to forget a top 5 talent we you draft @#6, Duh!
                  Absolutely! That's why all of those perennially bad teams (Bengals, Lions, Browns) get so good... all those top-5 talents they keep drafting year after year. I hear Jerry Tillery was the last "1st-round talent" left in the 1st round last draft. Thank god we got him... he'll be a difference maker with all of that talent oozing from his pores... LOL! Weren't we supposed to make a playoff push once Derwin got back...? Pretty sure we went 1-4. Love DJ... but fail to see how he helps us score TD's in the redzone... or help our lowest rated (29th) OL unit.

What defines "talent"...? Is it a fast 40...? 3-cone shuttle...? Verticle jump...? When does planting a 320 lb DL on his ass become a talent...? When does keeping 260 lb beasts off your QB become a talent...?

The combine needs a midget-throwing event...

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Apologies to any small people out there... didn't mean to offend.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Isaiah Simmons has long arms,
                      which enables him to disengage from blockers.

He can play all three LB spots,
                      which gives us flexibility in developing
                      Tranquill, Kyzir, Nwosu and Egbule.

Actually Isaiah could also be a CB with length opposite Hayward.

How about a Nascar front.
                      Simmons--Bosa--Ingram--Derwin.

We have GOT to be able to defend Mahomes, Tyreek, Kelce, et al.

Not to mention what DEN, LVR are up to.

If we end up with a Super Bowl of SF vs TEN,
                      hopefully that will not be perceived as a moratorium about which way to proceed,
                      so far as building our team goes.

So far, I would definitely draft Simmons at 6 over Austin Jackson and that could easily end up being our big decision.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Scott and Tevi gave up 88 pressures combined this year. That's 31st in the NFL. And they had PR getting rid of the ball quickly. Don't give me any BS about Tevi "having nice feet" TT... liars month isn't for another 2 or 3 months.

Comment

• Midwestbolt
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Midwest
                          • Local 150 operating engineer.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post
                          You win to run, not run to win.

This has been explored and explained by many smarter than myself.

You pass because you're losing (often).

So looking at net running/passing stats is futile.

You win to run, period.
                          I agree that gross stats are not the be all and end all, but it seems run game effectiveness (not just total yds) and balance in the offense is more than a by-product of winning, but a common denominator of many successful offenses.

Or would your opinion be its just a classic chicken/egg argument then? Or not even that?
                          ​​​

Last edited by Midwestbolt; 01-13-2020, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X