• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charge!
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I don’t think TT is the type to even try to pull that off.
    I agree that TT/spanos won't even likely make any offers for him..... I think Chargers think a QB who can pass accurately is not really important.... remember our 2 backup QB's from 2018??? neither one could throw accurately..... at all....

If CIN does trade the most likely teams to offer the farm are NO and NE....... because those organizations realize how important a great QB is....... most organizations do not.....

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I liked Gil Byrd.
      I did not like Billy Ray Smith or Gary Anderson.
      Gawd.
      Coryell going crazy over Gary Anderson.
      Tom Bass thinking Billy Ray Smith was special.
      Disasterous.
      There was the rumor that Marino liked marching powder.
      We acquired all those picks in prep for drafting or trading for Elway......

its amazing how stupid we got after we could not get Elway..... that was a very deep draft.....

Comment

• Sorry, but I cannot get on board with what I perceive as some pretty ridiculous overreactions to Burrow in this thread tonight. IMO, some of you guys simply are not projecting Burrow accurately at the next level.

Thinking that Burrow is going to be the next Elway, or even Andrew Luck, names mentioned in this thread tonight, to me seems like some pretty questionable takes. Elway was supremely physcially gifted, blessed with an absolute cannon of an arm and the ability to run. Luck also had a strong arm and was an above average runner in terms of both strength and speed for a QB. Equally questionable is the notion that somehow it would be Burrow making the Saints or Patriots contenders forever because of what Burrow brings to the table versus what Payton or Belichick, two of the best head coaches in NFL history, bring to the table.

Burrow may turn out to be a fine NFL player, but he is not going to be able to constantly float balls to wide open receivers like he has for much of this season with LSU. The windows will be much tighter and his lack of arm strength, which is fairly obvious, is going to be exposed at least to some degree. Coaches can scheme against a QB's weaknesses as the Titans just did against Lamar Jackson. And worse yet, Burrow does not exactly appear to have a quick release to offset his less than great arm strength (see Rivers, Philip).

I like Burrow's ability to work through progressions and he has some ability to extend plays, so that may help him to offset his lack of arm strength, but in my view, not only is Burrow not the greatest thing since sliced bread, he presents as a pretty substantial bust potential at the next level in terms of carrying the expected value of a #1 overall pick. That does not mean that he will not be able to compete in the NFL, just that there is a very real possibility that his NFL career will be nothing at all like what some of you seem to think it is going to be. He may end up being one of those players that is a great college QB, but not a great NFL QB. And that is just way too much risk for a player to be worthy of the #1 overall pick.

And to be clear, I am not talking about the kind of risk that every NFL draft pick carries. In my view, a player being discussed as a top 5 and potential #1 overall pick needs to be an elite player that is a virtual lock to be a great player at the NFL level. No matter how anyone tries to spin it, the fact that Burrow can't spin it, makes him a greater risk than what would be ideal for an early first round pick.

Not only would I not trade 3 first round picks (or more) for Burrow, I would not select Burrow if I had the first pick overall and I would not draft him at #6 overall either. That said, I can see how a desperate Bengals team would be willing to roll the dice and hope that Burrow could overcome his limitations, especially as Dalton appears to have fallen out of favor with their current coaches.

Still, the reality is that Dwayne Haskins beat out Joe Burrow at Ohio State, which is why Burrow had to transfer to LSU in the first place. And if Washington took Burrow with the #2 overall pick in this year's draft (which is unlikely), Haskins would likely beat Burrow out all over again.

Also, my expectation is that Lawrence, if given an equal team with which to compete (which he clearly did not have tonight), is and always will be better than Burrow.

In terms of the 2020 draft, I do not want the Chargers to take a QB at all because none of them are as good as Rivers still is. However, if the Chargers do take a QB with the #6 overall pick, I would rather have Herbert than either Burrow or Tagovailoa, though I do not love any of the three as safe franchise QB prospects.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Charger fans, Heisman Trophy voters, wall to wall pundits, NFL scouts/GMs from coast to coast ...

that's scientific consensus.
          You don't know ball

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Hogmollies are just there to measured & weighed like prize bulls.
            Why do they run the 40? No idea. If anything I’d like just to see them run a 10 w/a 5 split.
            short shuttle is s'posed to be worthy of comparisons…. (along w/PFF pressures allowed)

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
              Sorry, but I cannot get on board with what I perceive as some pretty ridiculous overreactions to Burrow in this thread tonight. IMO, some of you guys simply are not projecting Burrow accurately at the next level.

Thinking that Burrow is going to be the next Elway, or even Andrew Luck, names mentioned in this thread tonight, to me seems like some pretty questionable takes. Elway was supremely physcially gifted, blessed with an absolute cannon of an arm and the ability to run. Luck also had a strong arm and was an above average runner in terms of both strength and speed for a QB. Equally questionable is the notion that somehow it would be Burrow making the Saints or Patriots contenders forever because of what Burrow brings to the table versus what Payton or Belichick, two of the best head coaches in NFL history, bring to the table.

Burrow may turn out to be a fine NFL player, but he is not going to be able to constantly float balls to wide open receivers like he has for much of this season with LSU. The windows will be much tighter and his lack of arm strength, which is fairly obvious, is going to be exposed at least to some degree. Coaches can scheme against a QB's weaknesses as the Titans just did against Lamar Jackson. And worse yet, Burrow does not exactly appear to have a quick release to offset his less than great arm strength (see Rivers, Philip).

I like Burrow's ability to work through progressions and he has some ability to extend plays, so that may help him to offset his lack of arm strength, but in my view, not only is Burrow not the greatest thing since sliced bread, he presents as a pretty substantial bust potential at the next level in terms of carrying the expected value of a #1 overall pick. That does not mean that he will not be able to compete in the NFL, just that there is a very real possibility that his NFL career will be nothing at all like what some of you seem to think it is going to be. He may end up being one of those players that is a great college QB, but not a great NFL QB. And that is just way too much risk for a player to be worthy of the #1 overall pick.

And to be clear, I am not talking about the kind of risk that every NFL draft pick carries. In my view, a player being discussed as a top 5 and potential #1 overall pick needs to be an elite player that is a virtual lock to be a great player at the NFL level. No matter how anyone tries to spin it, the fact that Burrow can't spin it, makes him a greater risk than what would be ideal for an early first round pick.

Not only would I not trade 3 first round picks (or more) for Burrow, I would not select Burrow if I had the first pick overall and I would not draft him at #6 overall either. That said, I can see how a desperate Bengals team would be willing to roll the dice and hope that Burrow could overcome his limitations, especially as Dalton appears to have fallen out of favor with their current coaches.

Still, the reality is that Dwayne Haskins beat out Joe Burrow at Ohio State, which is why Burrow had to transfer to LSU in the first place. And if Washington took Burrow with the #2 overall pick in this year's draft (which is unlikely), Haskins would likely beat Burrow out all over again.

Also, my expectation is that Lawrence, if given an equal team with which to compete (which he clearly did not have tonight), is and always will be better than Burrow.

In terms of the 2020 draft, I do not want the Chargers to take a QB at all because none of them are as good as Rivers still is. However, if the Chargers do take a QB with the #6 overall pick, I would rather have Herbert than either Burrow or Tagovailoa, though I do not love any of the three as safe franchise QB prospects.
              Bold take here on the TPB
              while I would absolutely take Burrow’s risk/reward 1 overall, I agree with most of this post
              The first sane post in a few pages
              fellas... trading 3 first? A second and Bosa?? Wth??
              tongue in cheek I hope
              even if you DID think that was Elway playing tonight, what kind of team are you building around him without any affordable first round talent in the next few seasons?
              you must be really big Telesco fans and think he’s going to hit on every lower round guy the next 3 drafts too right?
              question for those who think that’s a great idea
              at what point is it “just a fair idea”?
              3 first, 2 seconds Bosa and KA?
              then at what point is it just ridiculous?
              10 first round picks?
              more than curious, I'm fascinated
              .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
              .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
              .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
              .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
              .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
              .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
              .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
              .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
              .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Get me the QB who can still run around and sometimes make plays (not throw INTs) when all hell is breaking loose. Or at least knows how to throw it away or just eat it. We ain’t never gonna have the OL of the gods (or have the refs on our side), dreaming of the perfect pocket passer throwing to wide open receivers is just that, a dream.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Sorry, but I cannot get on board with what I perceive as some pretty ridiculous overreactions to Burrow in this thread tonight. IMO, some of you guys simply are not projecting Burrow accurately at the next level.

Wow. Just wow. Burrows just put up the best season ever by a college QB and won the national championship game while shredding the best defense in all of college and you have concerns about him as a QB? He was also only 3 completions away from breaking the highest completion percentage of all time.

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

I don't know which Burrow you were watching this season, but it wasn't the one that plays for LSU. Obvious lack of arm strength? Floating balls? You don't complete 76% of your passes in the SEC just floating balls around. And, you don't complete the best singular season, again against the SEC, in the 150-year history of college football just floating balls. The ONLY thing I would agree with in this post is I wouldn't trade 3 1st rounders for him. This just sounds like a disgruntled Clemson fan.
                    sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
                      Disgruntled
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Alabama
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Wow. Just wow. Burrows just put up the best season ever by a college QB and won the national championship game while shredding the best defense in all of college and you have concerns about him as a QB? He was also only 3 completions away from breaking the highest completion percentage of all time.
                      Right?!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree that TT/spanos won't even likely make any offers for him..... I think Chargers think a QB who can pass accurately is not really important.... remember our 2 backup QB's from 2018??? neither one could throw accurately..... at all....

If CIN does trade the most likely teams to offer the farm are NO and NE....... because those organizations realize how important a great QB is....... most organizations do not.....
                        Doubt it. Both NO and NE are picking in the 20s and trading up from there would be very costly. Doubt Cincinnati wants to go from #1 to twenty something. The picks they get from us will be earlier in the rounds if we give up 6 and 37.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Lmao....talk about questionable takes....
                          Floating balls? Haskins? Haskins was a 1 year starter and Burrow wasn't there at Ohio St last year....not to mention Burrow just blew his stats away this season.

Lawrence will be a very good one as well but we ain't getting him. Doubt we suck enough to even be top 12 next draft and regardless of forum beliefs, teams don't tank on purpose for s college player.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍