• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tol
    From Accounting
    • Mar 2019
    • Carlsbad
    • Send PM

Sounds like the Saints tried to lure Old Man Rivers out of retirement.

I wonder why he turned it down?

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
      Sounds like the Saints tried to lure Old Man Rivers out of retirement.

I wonder why he turned it down?

https://www.nola.com/sports/jeff_dun...e966ea67f.html
      Can't read it, keeps asking to subscribe and won't scroll down.

Edit

Saw another article. They only wanted him for 1 game so I get why he said no.
      They asked Brees first for just 1 game and he considered it but turned it down.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-25-2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Nunc Coepi
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2020
        • Send PM

The owners should have sat down with him a month and a half ago to iron out a contract. He was available then. But the Saints owners dragged their feet, which indicates.something. It indicates that Saints owners are stupid. I hate stupid owners. That's why I don't watch football anymore. Charger owners show the same kind of stupidity--- frequently

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Nunc Coepi View Post
          I don't think most Colts fans wanted to get rid of Rivers. There was, though, at least a bitter, vocal minority that never liked him. And it didn't matter how much better he made the team by playing for it. They had long memories, and they remembered that when Rivers was a Charger, their team came off second best whenever they played against him. He used to be a Colt killer
          The loudest ones did....they got their way.

2020 w/ Rivers: 11 - 5
          2021 w/ Wentz: 8 - 6

They are happy they made the switch....Wentz is much more mobile and has the stronger arm.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The loudest ones did....they got their way.

2020 w/ Rivers: 11 - 5
            2021 w/ Wentz: 8 - 6

They are happy they made the switch....Wentz is much more mobile and has the stronger arm.
            Lol, Wentz sucks and had like 87 yards last week.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-25-2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

Rivers record is already better than Wentz’s team.

would have been fun to see him hop in there but a new offense for 1 week is harsh…for Indy or Chargers maybe but other than being near NO i dont see any logic to it.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Reich tried to call up Rivers when Wentz went down. It looks like Rivers was busy with his family and on vacation.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                  Superbowl?
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Los Angeles/Chicago
                  • Send PM

Saints blew their season not signing Rivers, total playoff team with Rivers.

Colts with Wentz horrible, 11-5 with Rivers a year later 9-7 thanks to Taylor, should of signed Rivers when they were 5-5 could of ended up 12-5 with Philcember.

Panthers & WFT as well.

Had Cleveland switched to Rivers with that O line, RBs, D, top seed.
                  Last edited by ChargingBolts; 01-06-2022, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Final update:

2020 Colts w/ a past prime Rivers: 11 - 5 (playoffs/ 300+ yards there)

2021 Colts w/ Wentz: 9 - 8 (shame and despair)

I think this year vindicated PR, and not by just the Colts going down in flames.
                    Herbert's great year didn't get it done.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                      Superbowl?
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Los Angeles/Chicago
                      • Send PM

I'm being selfish by wanting a playoff QB to get injured and their D win them the game and on Monday that team then signs Free Agent Philip Rivers to start next weeks playoff game.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

You ever think about how Philip Rivers feels about Justin Herbert? I do. I have not read anything about Rivers even commenting on his replacement. Rivers is good and humble guy and I am sure he wishes the best for his former team and for Herbert. But a part of him also has to be thinking, "wow, the Chargers and their fans forgot about me quickly."

Look at his 2004 draft class mates for example. The Giants go from HOF two-time SB winner Eli Manning to Daniel Jones. The Steelers are going from Ben Roethlisberger to Mitch Trubisky (apparently). You don't think Steelers fans are going to pine for the Roethlisberger era when they get a look at Trubisky on the field? Usually when the greatest quarterback in a franchise's history moves on/retires, his immediate successor is not usually an immediate sensation, already breaking his predecessor's records.

More often than not, when a franchise has a QB who was a legend for a decade-plus, the franchise enters QB purgatory for awhile. You don't expect the QB you get in the next draft to fill the legend's shoes, let alone look like he's going to be even better than the legend. But this is the case with Herbert. He is reaching heights Rivers couldn't reach even at the apex of his storied career.

As much as we all love Phil and how he carried this franchise for years after the departure of LT, no Chargers fan is pining for the Rivers era, we all see that Herbert looks like he's on his way to be the best QB in franchise history. I just wonder how Rivers feels about it. I wonder if it makes him feel unappreciated on some level.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          You ever think about how Philip Rivers feels about Justin Herbert? I do. I have not read anything about Rivers even commenting on his replacement. Rivers is good and humble guy and I am sure he wishes the best for his former team and for Herbert. But a part of him also has to be thinking, "wow, the Chargers and their fans forgot about me quickly."

Look at his 2004 draft class mates for example. The Giants go from HOF two-time SB winner Eli Manning to Daniel Jones. The Steelers are going from Ben Roethlisberger to Mitch Trubisky (apparently). You don't think Steelers fans are going to pine for the Roethlisberger era when they get a look at Trubisky on the field? Usually when the greatest quarterback in a franchise's history moves on/retires, his immediate successor is not usually an immediate sensation, already breaking his predecessor's records.

More often than not, when a franchise has a QB who was a legend for a decade-plus, the franchise enters QB purgatory for awhile. You don't expect the QB you get in the next draft to fill the legend's shoes, let alone look like he's going to be even better than the legend. But this is the case with Herbert. He is reaching heights Rivers couldn't reach even at the apex of his storied career.

As much as we all love Phil and how he carried this franchise for years after the departure of LT, no Chargers fan is pining for the Rivers era, we all see that Herbert looks like he's on his way to be the best QB in franchise history. I just wonder how Rivers feels about it. I wonder if it makes him feel unappreciated on some level.
                          It's up to him to engage the NFL community in a positive way going forward. He was saddled with subpar par coaching as well as some bizarre toxic situations beyond his control. For the most part he's still a Charger for life.

:2cents:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡