• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Bolts vs. Colts Analysis Game 1

Okay, so we won ugly. Yes, Rivers's pick was ugly, as was King's muffed punt return. But the ugliest of all was the breakdown by our defense. Below, Phillips (red) is in a decent position to make the tackle on Hilton, but is already overpursuing. He needs to slow down and tackle with control, instead of launching and whiffing, which he does. Davis also misses Hilton, who turns it into a TD. Total breakdown, and I'm surprised a vet like Davis was so lacking in fundamentals here:

image.png
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Here's where it gets really ugly: Mack's 63-yd TD run. Great blocking by Colts, but we gotta do better than this. Ingram had a shot at a tackle, but Davis (red) had an ever better shot at Mack (blue), if he stays clean.

image.png

Rayshawn also had a shot at Mack, but launched and whiffed:

image.png

And the whiff:

image.png

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

They will learn from it. First games never are perfect but we got it done to close it out. The late turnovers really cost us points to put it away. Our offense had a lot of positives. Defense needs to work on the blocking sheds....they really were patient and took their blocks for long gains.

I hope williams is ok...didnt hear what the prognosis was. He is such a redzone stud for us.

we will learn from it on all phases.

game ball to Long for being nails on punts and kickoffs and pk duty...huge benefit having him backup kicking for badge

we got a W.... im happy

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Another Mack run for big yardage. Another Phillips (yellow) fail, and Davis (red) overpursues to the outside, allowing Mack to cut inside for more yards. Not impressed by Phillips and Davis so far...

image.png

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Nice preseason win for the Bolts.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

First TD...a pass to Hilton. Why is Facyson (yellow) playing so deep in EZ? Doesn't he see Hilton? And Davis not all that impressive in coverage either, but he needs more help from Facyson on this play.

image.png
            Attached Files

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

gameball to Ek and Ty Long! I too wasnt impressed with TDavis. And we are dropping like flies. Money Bags out, Perryman, then Davis (CB), then MWill, and not to mention Okung and Derwin.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Trent Scott wasn't good today and we shouldn't be comfortable with him moving forward. One thing tho, is he the one who planted Leonard?

it was disgusting to me that in game 1 of the season Brandon Facyson was the CB. He's a 3rd stringer at best and got eaten alive out there. The only thing that save him from a monumental day of infamy was the Colts ability to run. They didnt need to throw it at him although they knew they could. At will.

Our run d was horrible. The Colts OL won the battle decisively. This was a match up I wanted to see and hope to never see again.

I dont think I'll see another performance from Adam Vinatieri like the one I saw today. Historic.

On the good side, Ekeler was great in space. JJ looked solid as well. He had some holes to run thru. Keenan was great especially on the jump ball td. HH was ok but we need more from Travis and MW.

Our LB core was weak. Phillips isn't an LB. White barely is. Thomas Davis has good stats but little real impact.

Overall, we made this one much closer than it should have been. Torture

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Feeney played well

They missed Perryman

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

Thomas Davis was underwhelming...he looks old and slow.

Trent Scott does not appear to be the answer at LT. Let's hope Rivers can survive until he improves, or Okung makes it back.

I thought our D did pretty good overall...a lot of missed tackles is not uncommon first game of the year, and our dline was facing one of the best olines in the league. I think we will get better.

MGIII who? I like our RB committee as is...

I like that Rivers got dialed in towards the end...outside of the interception, he was starting to look sharp. The overtime drive was nice to see.

Why did we wait so long to get Henry involved?

Overall, there was a few things about that game that were disappointing...but at least we got the ball in overtime, and drove it down their throats for the win...that forgives some of our sloppy play.

Mock version 3.0-The "Double Mitchell"
                    (Assumes "fantasy" trade with Vikes)

11. Q. Mitchell CB
                    23. A. Mitchell WR
                    37. K. Jenkins DT
                    69. C. Beebe OG -105. C.Gray LB
                    110. R. Davis RB -140. J. Jones Slot CB
                    181. T. McLachlan TE -225. J. Jean-Baptiste Edge
                    253. K. Vidal RB

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                      Trent Scott wasn't good today and we shouldn't be comfortable with him moving forward. One thing tho, is he the one who planted Leonard?

it was disgusting to me that in game 1 of the season Brandon Facyson was the CB. He's a 3rd stringer at best and got eaten alive out there. The only thing that save him from a monumental day of infamy was the Colts ability to run. They didnt need to throw it at him although they knew they could. At will.

Our run d was horrible. The Colts OL won the battle decisively. This was a match up I wanted to see and hope to never see again.

I dont think I'll see another performance from Adam Vinatieri like the one I saw today. Historic.

On the good side, Ekeler was great in space. JJ looked solid as well. He had some holes to run thru. Keenan was great especially on the jump ball td. HH was ok but we need more from Travis and MW.

Our LB core was weak. Phillips isn't an LB. White barely is. Thomas Davis has good stats but little real impact.

Overall, we made this one much closer than it should have been. Torture
                      Yeah Phillips is good at what he needs to be. A STs player and extra cover LB. He isn't a good safety and again I'll say at some point Tranquill can possibly take his spot when Derwin comes back.
                      T. Davis is better than he was today and lack of PS snaps and a new D, i hope he gets better.

Scott was a Trainwreck and I'm not sure how Facyson won a spot on the team but the others like Richard's were worse. We can use some CB depth.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 09-08-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• SDBORN
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                        Thomas Davis was underwhelming...he looks old and slow.

Trent Scott does not appear to be the answer at LT. Let's hope Rivers can survive until he improves, or Okung makes it back.

I thought our D did pretty good overall...a lot of missed tackles is not uncommon first game of the year, and our dline was facing one of the best olines in the league. I think we will get better.

MGIII who? I like our RB committee as is...

I like that Rivers got dialed in towards the end...outside of the interception, he was starting to look sharp. The overtime drive was nice to see.

Why did we wait so long to get Henry involved?

Overall, there was a few things about that game that were disappointing...but at least we got the ball in overtime, and drove it down their throats for the win...that forgives some of our sloppy play.
                        Have to agree about Davis. Today he didn't look good. Let's give him another game or 2 to see if he figures it out.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍