• Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Week 1 IND : The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

I created 3 vids with my choices for those plays that usually go unnoticed on Highlight reels. Also added coaches film from Gamepass and slowed the speed 0.5x so we can really break it down.

1st play: The Good
    Justin Jackson finds some good blocking and hits the hole with speed, easily getting to the 2nd level.

2nd play: The Bad
    Phil looks to be getting greedy wanting Mike W over the top and doesnt see wide open Travis in flat.

3rd play: The Ugly
    Trent Scott lets his man smash Phil. This type of play could easily lead to and injury.

Just choosing Offense plays right now, let me know if you guys want def added or any other plays broken down with slo-mo caoches film

Happy Hump day my fellow die hards
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
    I created 3 vids with my choices for those plays that usually go unnoticed on Highlight reels. Also added coaches film from Gamepass and slowed the speed 0.5x so we can really break it down.

1st play: The Good
    Justin Jackson finds some good blocking and hits the hole with speed, easily getting to the 2nd level.

2nd play: The Bad
    Phil looks to be getting greedy wanting Mike W over the top and doesnt see wide open Travis in flat.

3rd play: The Ugly
    Trent Scott lets his man smash Phil. This type of play could easily lead to and injury.

Just choosing Offense plays right now, let me know if you guys want def added or any other plays broken down with slo-mo caoches film

Happy Hump day my fellow die hards
    Thank you NMC.
    Great to see you.
    Video content of this type is very useful across the board.
    Hit us with some shots on D.
    You amuse us.
    You don't know ball

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Wow! Great job. Thanks so much for doing this. The coaches tape is really a different take and you slowing it down allows us to see the players so much better. I did notice on the second on that Benjamin was wide, wide open during the game. But Rivers was in heavy traffic there.

Tg
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Play #2. Phil's vision thing continually frustrates me, but he does also see things others cannot see, while focusing on the other parts downfield.

Play #1 & #3. This is a perfect teachable chance to illustrate Oline technique.

Play #1. Schofield seals off perfectly, allowing Pouncey to get an effective chip with his legs, enough to constitute the key block on the play, on WILL and DROY Darius Leonard. Note that again, Pouncey's stellar play involved absolutely perfect technique, and no violence.

Play #3. This one is so obvious. Look at how low and how wide Trent Scott's hand placement is. He will see this on tape, and learn to get past this bad technique. Poor habits take time to unlearn.
        You don't know ball

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Great work, Chili! On Play #3, Wood, besides Scott's poor hand placement, wouldn't you also say his failure to slide to his left a bit quicker also led to the sack?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            Great work, Chili! On Play #3, Wood, besides Scott's poor hand placement, wouldn't you also say his failure to slide to his left a bit quicker also led to the sack?
            Not exactly. Here's why.

When an offensive lineman has such bad hand placement, it is the worst. There is a huge target area for the DE, the OT's chest. A simple quick, powerful jolt to the chest stuns the OT. This is immediately followed up with a pass rush move and a win every time.

ie the bad hand placement leads directly to and causes the slow slide to the left.

Conversely, a quick powerful jab from the OT (a classic Pat Meyer concept) puts the DE on the defensive. Sam Tevi can be pretty good at this.

You don't know ball

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Not exactly. Here's why.

When an offensive lineman has such bad hand placement, it is the worst. There is a huge target area for the DE, the OT's chest. A simple quick, powerful jolt to the chest stuns the OT. This is immediately followed up with a pass rush move and a win every time.

ie the bad hand placement leads directly to and causes the slow slide to the left.

Conversely, a quick powerful jab from the OT (a classic Pat Meyer concept) puts the DE on the defensive. Sam Tevi can be pretty good at this.
              Ok, thanks for the explanation...so the slow slide is still a problem, but it's the bad hand technique that is the cause...good analysis there, Wood...

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                • Jun 2013
                • Palm Springs
                • I know nothing
                • Send PM

Do you suppose it would work to just tie his hands together?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Ok, thanks for the explanation...so the slow slide is still a problem, but it's the bad hand technique that is the cause...good analysis there, Wood...
                  We have a window to the mysteries of our Oline.
                  You don't know ball

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    Play #2. Phil's vision thing continually frustrates me, but he does also see things others cannot see, while focusing on the other parts downfield.

Play #1 & #3. This is a perfect teachable chance to illustrate Oline technique.

Play #1. Schofield seals off perfectly, allowing Pouncey to get an effective chip with his legs, enough to constitute the key block on the play, on WILL and DROY Darius Leonard. Note that again, Pouncey's stellar play involved absolutely perfect technique, and no violence.

Play #3. This one is so obvious. Look at how low and how wide Trent Scott's hand placement is. He will see this on tape, and learn to get past this bad technique. Poor habits take time to unlearn.
                    While I agree with you with #2, the only other thing I would point out is the pocket collapsed so fast Phil did not have a lot of time to progress through his reads.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

While I agree with you with #2, the only other thing I would point out is the pocket collapsed so fast Phil did not have a lot of time to progress through his reads.
                      If the Bolts are going to slide Feeney (yellow) to the other side to block like this, he needs to get over quicker, take a better angle, OR at least use JJ (blue) to chip the rusher before going into the flats to buy PR some more time. Meanwhile, Tevi (red) is sliding left and has still not engaged to help Scho, and Scott's man is blowing by him. These kinds of stunts take kind of long to develop...maybe in time, they work, but right now, we need to buy PR every half second we can...

image.png

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Well, Benjy was wide open early.

I don't want to discount an Oline failure, and I love PR, but that's where the play was available. All eleven defenders were either rushing the passer or in coverage on all other receiving options.

You don't know ball

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡