• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DontEverGiveUp
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Offensive Drives in Lions Loss

There was a lot of moaning about the offense after last weekend's game, and rightfully so. Lots of folks calling for the OC's head. I also saw several posters stating that Rivers doesn't have it anymore. I wanted to step through each drive to really understand why we only ended up with 10 points. We had 10 offensive drives for the game:

1) 3rd and 7, incomplete pass to Allen. Great coverage, ball thrown slightly behind Allen.
    2) Despite 2 TD drops by Mike, we still get in the endzone with Ekeler at the goal line. TD
    3) 3rd and 3, coverage sack. Good defense.
    4) 3rd and 6, incomplete pass to Benji. Would have been a first down, but Benji was held running across the middle and was not able to get to the ball. Bad missed call by the refs.
    5) 3rd and 7, Benji drops the first down catch that hit him right in the chest.
    6) Backed up on our own goal line with little time, we manage to get in FG range and get 3 before the half.
    7) Two TDs called back by penalties, Ekeler fumbles on the goal line.
    8) Rivers and company puts us in position to extend the lead, Long misses FG.
    9) Same as previous drive.
    10) Rivers makes bad decision and gets intercepted in the endzone to end the game.

So of our 10 drives:
    2 ended with points,
    2 were stopped by good defense
    5 were thwarted by drops, bad calls/no-calls, fumble, or missed FGs
    1 game ending INT

I don't think this loss in on Whiz. 5 drives that could have ended in points bit didn't either due to poor execution or bad calls. And Rivers actually played a good game up until the final throw. I'm not too worried moving forward...this was a freak game where everything went wrong for us. A couple self-inflicted mistakes and some missed calls were the difference between scoring 10 and 25-30 points. We will regroup and get back to winning.

​​​​
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DontEverGiveUp View Post
    There was a lot of moaning about the offense after last weekend's game, and rightfully so. Lots of folks calling for the OC's head. I also saw several posters stating that Rivers doesn't have it anymore. I wanted to step through each drive to really understand why we only ended up with 10 points. We had 10 offensive drives for the game:

1) 3rd and 7, incomplete pass to Allen. Great coverage, ball thrown slightly behind Allen.
    2) Despite 2 TD drops by Mike, we still get in the endzone with Ekeler at the goal line. TD
    4) 3rd and 6, incomplete pass to Benji. Would have been a first down, but Benji was held running across the middle and was not able to get to the ball. Bad missed call by the refs.
    6) Backed up on our own goal line with little time, we manage to get in FG range and get 3 before the half.
    10) Rivers makes bad decision and gets intercepted in the endzone to end the game.

So of our 10 drives:
    2 ended with points,
    1 game ending INT

I don't think this loss in on Whiz. 5 drives that could have ended in points bit didn't either due to poor execution or bad calls. And Rivers actually played a good game up until the final throw. I'm not too worried moving forward...this was a freak game where everything went wrong for us. A couple self-inflicted mistakes and some missed calls were the difference between scoring 10 and 25-30 points. We will regroup and get back to winning.

​​​​
    It was ugly execution by the O & ST.

For a loss that we gave away/shit the bed, instead of getting beat by the cubs in their house. I still like our chances this season. Dealing with injuries early, playing through poor execution/new guys in starting spots, and a typical Bolt Sept; things will improve.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Yeah, we should've had 30 to 38 points up there but for our own mistakes. Finish those drives.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DontEverGiveUp View Post

So of our 10 drives:
        2 ended with points,
        1 game ending INT

​​​​
        Love your analysis. I feel the same way. Win the next 4 and we sit at 5 - 1 and maybe are tied with the Chiefs if we get lucky. I would take that after week 6.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Love your analysis. I feel the same way. Win the next 4 and we sit at 5 - 1 and maybe are tied with the Chiefs if we get lucky. I would take that after week 6.
          Would be great for sure.
          I'm ok with 4-2.
          We seem to struggle early in a season typically and we do have several KEY starters banged up.
          Get an above .500 record by midseason, win divisional games, get healthy, DOMINATE last half of season, DESTROY playoffs opponents, SMASH NFC champ in SB LIV, and open up the new house with a banner, ring, & the LOMBARDI!
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Throwing game ending interceptions are one thing Rivers hasn't shaken, probably never will. Tossing into tight double coverage on first down shows that Rivers will never lead this team to a SB. Talk about his lousy clock management...add down management to that also.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
              Throwing game ending interceptions are one thing Rivers hasn't shaken, probably never will. Tossing into tight double coverage on first down shows that Rivers will never lead this team to a SB. Talk about his lousy clock management...add down management to that also.
              Boy there is the Debbie Downer I remember from other sites. Can I ask why you even bother? Just a masochist at heart??? Dude, we are 1 - 1 for Christ's sake........

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                The Precious
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Then again the outlook for the season for Saints and Steelers fans sure has changed hasn't it?

Rivers is is one of the main reasons I maintain interest in this team.

Comment

• DontEverGiveUp
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

In the Lynn era (34 games), we are 22-12, and Rivers has 6 game-winning drives (would be 8+ if our kicker wasn't the laughing stock of the league) and 3 game-losing interceptions (which includes a hail mary on the final play against NE down by 8).

So in reality, Rivers is far more likely to win us the game at the end than to throw a game-losing interception (especially if we can make FGs). I think what skews the perspective of Rivers' play is the fact that the Chargers are consistently in a position where they are hoping for a late go-ahead score.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

You guys are letting facts get in the way of a super awesome take. No fair.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Whiz really called a great game. He called a TD on that last drive on the reverse to Benjamin, but Ekeler didn't give him the ball. Go back and watch it, there was only one defender on that side of the field with 3 blockers in front. Chances are it would have scored.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                        Whiz really called a great game. He called a TD on that last drive on the reverse to Benjamin, but Ekeler didn't give him the ball. Go back and watch it, there was only one defender on that side of the field with 3 blockers in front. Chances are it would have scored.
                        Yeah. Rivers was asking Eckler wtf he didn't pitch the ball.

Comment

Working...
                        X