• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

The drive summary just proves the point that there was nothing wrong the game plan or play calling. It was execution and errors, the same things that win or lose the great majority of games.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

after analyzing the plays, i saw sooooo many dropped passes. Cant blame Whiz for that

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DontEverGiveUp View Post
        There was a lot of moaning about the offense after last weekend's game, and rightfully so. Lots of folks calling for the OC's head. I also saw several posters stating that Rivers doesn't have it anymore. I wanted to step through each drive to really understand why we only ended up with 10 points. We had 10 offensive drives for the game:

1) 3rd and 7, incomplete pass to Allen. Great coverage, ball thrown slightly behind Allen.
        2) Despite 2 TD drops by Mike, we still get in the endzone with Ekeler at the goal line. TD
        3) 3rd and 3, coverage sack. Good defense.
        4) 3rd and 6, incomplete pass to Benji. Would have been a first down, but Benji was held running across the middle and was not able to get to the ball. Bad missed call by the refs.
        5) 3rd and 7, Benji drops the first down catch that hit him right in the chest.
        6) Backed up on our own goal line with little time, we manage to get in FG range and get 3 before the half.
        7) Two TDs called back by penalties, Ekeler fumbles on the goal line.
        8) Rivers and company puts us in position to extend the lead, Long misses FG.
        9) Same as previous drive.
        10) Rivers makes bad decision and gets intercepted in the endzone to end the game.

So of our 10 drives:
        2 ended with points,
        2 were stopped by good defense
        5 were thwarted by drops, bad calls/no-calls, fumble, or missed FGs
        1 game ending INT

I don't think this loss in on Whiz. 5 drives that could have ended in points bit didn't either due to poor execution or bad calls. And Rivers actually played a good game up until the final throw. I'm not too worried moving forward...this was a freak game where everything went wrong for us. A couple self-inflicted mistakes and some missed calls were the difference between scoring 10 and 25-30 points. We will regroup and get back to winning.

​​​​
        Thats twice he's done that this season. Once in preseason. I can't help but wonder why they wouldn't use the bigger back, Jackson, in those situations.
        sigpic

Comment

• PR#1
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Instead of flying over the top, Eckler should have just tried to outrun everybody to the corner of the endzone and dive into the TD pylon.

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

There was a lot of moaning about the offense after last weekend's game, and rightfully so. Lots of folks calling for the OC's head. I also saw several posters stating that Rivers doesn't have it anymore. I wanted to step through each drive to really understand why we only ended up with 10 points. We had 10 offensive drives for the game:

1) 3rd and 7, incomplete pass to Allen. Great coverage, ball thrown slightly behind Allen.
            2) Despite 2 TD drops by Mike, we still get in the endzone with Ekeler at the goal line. TD
            3) 3rd and 3, coverage sack. Good defense.
            4) 3rd and 6, incomplete pass to Benji. Would have been a first down, but Benji was held running across the middle and was not able to get to the ball. Bad missed call by the refs.
            5) 3rd and 7, Benji drops the first down catch that hit him right in the chest.
            6) Backed up on our own goal line with little time, we manage to get in FG range and get 3 before the half.
            7) Two TDs called back by penalties, Ekeler fumbles on the goal line.
            8) Rivers and company puts us in position to extend the lead, Long misses FG.
            9) Same as previous drive.
            10) Rivers makes bad decision and gets intercepted in the endzone to end the game.

So of our 10 drives:
            2 ended with points,
            2 were stopped by good defense
            5 were thwarted by drops, bad calls/no-calls, fumble, or missed FGs
            1 game ending INT

I don't think this loss in on Whiz. 5 drives that could have ended in points bit didn't either due to poor execution or bad calls. And Rivers actually played a good game up until the final throw. I'm not too worried moving forward...this was a freak game where everything went wrong for us. A couple self-inflicted mistakes and some missed calls were the difference between scoring 10 and 25-30 points. We will regroup and get back to winning.

​​​​
            There were quite a few drops, not just on third down and in the endzone. Those are killers.

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

In the Lynn era (34 games), we are 22-12, and Rivers has 6 game-winning drives (would be 8+ if our kicker wasn't the laughing stock of the league) and 3 game-losing interceptions (which includes a hail mary on the final play against NE down by 8).

So in reality, Rivers is far more likely to win us the game at the end than to throw a game-losing interception (especially if we can make FGs). I think what skews the perspective of Rivers' play is the fact that the Chargers are consistently in a position where they are hoping for a late go-ahead score.
              Don't let facts get in the way of a good Caslon story.

Comment

• AZBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

EKELER needs to get his head into the game, his physical ability is great......

Yeah. Ri,its vriLers was asking Eckler wtf he didn't pitch the ball. [/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍