• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Does "The Sign Guy" still fly his freak flag over Dignity on Sundays...? If so, Spanos could sponsor a "Shoot the Cesna Out Of the Sky With a T-Shirt Cannon" contest. $1000 a shot. Free PSL with every purchase...
    They left the cannon behind in San Diego - their way of burying the past, so they're out of luck. Thing would be rusty from inactivity anyhow.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

They left the cannon behind in San Diego - their way of burying the past, so they're out of luck. Thing would be rusty from inactivity anyhow.
      I heard that Snoop Dogg fired the cannon last week, from the radio broadcast. Do you have an article that says that they left it behind, or do you go to the games?

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I heard that Snoop Dogg fired the cannon last week, from the radio broadcast. Do you have an article that says that they left it behind, or do you go to the games?
        The cannon is there every single week

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

In 1996, Neil Smith of the Kansas City Chiefs said that while he despised the cannon that the Chargers fired after each of their scores, he especially hated their fight song.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Prior to the 2007 AFC Championship Game against the Chargers, New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said, "I hate that song." He first heard it when he was an assistant coach with the New York Giants in 1980, when the Chargers won 44-7 while Fouts threw for 444 yards. Belichick called the game a "track meet" and recalled Chargers players such as Chuck Muncie, Kellen Winslow, and John Jefferson. "They didn't get through playing that song before they had scored again and they started playing it again. It was 'San Diego Super Chargers,' that's still ringing in my head."

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The cannon is there every single week
              The original one? Who owned the cannon in the first place: the Chargers or the City of San Diego? Probably a replacement cannon if they are letting Snoop Dog fire it. The sacrilege!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

I thought i heard about it during season #1 in LA. I dug this up - evidently the cannon was owned by cannon man. He was there with his cannon for 37 years. Now, every trashy LA celeb will get a shot at it.

"A recent piece in the San Diego Union-Tribune beautifully detailed the home game routine for the 70-year-old Dixon, who would drive his Chargers-themed buggy down the seven miles of surface streets between his house and Qualcomm Stadium - with his naval cannon in tow.

There he would tailgate with the "Cannon Alley Fan Club" until 90 minutes before the game, when he'd roll the cannon onto the field and fire it off whenever a Chargers score or win warranted."

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I've seen pictures of a military canon being rolled around Balboa Stadium circa 1961. And according to this article, the man who started firing off the cannon was a man named Jimmy Peluso, owner of San Diego Wireworks.

Over the years, the customer base for San Diego Fireworks broadened. "He did the Padres," Jimmy's son says. "He started the cannon for the San Diego Chargers back in Balboa Stadium. He became known as Mr. Fireworks in San Diego." https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...-diego-county/

Jimmy Peluso would die in 1980. Ron Dixon (current Chargers Canon Man) would buy Peluso's company shortly thereafter. Dixon is also associated with San Diego's KGB Skyshow (Aztecs). Dixon would drive the canon down to The Murph, from his Tierra Santa home every Sunday, tailgate in the parking lot, then roll his canon in before the start of each game.

But that's all water under the bridge now...
                  Last edited by Boltnut; 09-28-2019, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

So, who runs the cannon now? Some L. A. area resident or the same guy who did it before? Does that have anything to do with the business of the team?

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

So, who runs the cannon now? Some L. A. area resident or the same guy who did it before? Does that have anything to do with the business of the team?
                      Ron Dixon. The SD Chargers Canon guy. For the last 37 years. Same guy. He must travel up to LA every Sunday. Probably on his own dime. Apparently, there are some traditions that Deano thinks are helpful to branding and selling tickets. The canon, and it's operator, have been deemed helpful. The San Diego Super Chargers song died on the chopping block...

It's all in the articles posted...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The LA So-on-and-so-Forths. That's a great re-branding idea!
                        Excuse me, good sir. Its the LA So Ons ... a little respect, please
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Can we survive the new stadium with this coaching staff? I don't think we can.

Time to pay some real football minds
                          Yep...Spani are well aware that sales of Personal Seat Licenses are way down...plus probably TV revenue...who wants to buy a commercial for a loser? Nothing personal, just business...if someone doesn't get fired at least at the end of the season, I'm shocked...

Comment

Working...
                          X