• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Interior Defense Weakness

The interior D-line. Why does, in 2019, this continue to be a weakness? I continue to see a team that depend on Bosa or Ingram to be super all the time.

Tillery is the number 1 pick of this years draft. While he does have big shoes to fill, he's going to need the help around him to make things easier for him too.

Justin Jones had reports about him, prior to entering the draft, telling what his weakness as a player is. Those reports gave you a clue about him as a pass rusher. So far in 2019, I'm seeing those reports proving to be true.

Damion Square is horrible. Absolutely horrible. He is weak for a NT/DT. He's a good hustle player, but not imposing on the opponent. Square's value is his versatility, but he doesn't excel in any area. He's just not that good. To deny this is to deny a reality to an issue on the team.

With all these said, why would folks be surprised that our interior defense isn't doing much more than they are? There are weak links to every weakness to an area of a team. I'm not forgetting Mebane, who has his share in the struggles of the D-line.

Seventh rounders the previous two years took advantage of their opportunities, and convinced the team that they were here to stay. Last year, it was Justin Jackson. The year before that it was Isaac Rochell. Will there be a third under the Telesco and Lynn pairing? I hope to see Cortez Broughton. He could provide a spark. Both the run and pass defense. See what Brougton brings to the table.
  • SCRATCHBOLTNZ
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2017
    • Send PM

I agree!

I thought the defensive line would be a strength of this team and it is bearly making even at the moment.

Bosa gives it on every play...Ingram..mmm.. not so much, but when hes in the mood...unstoppable! I just wish he was in the mood more!!

Interior is definately the weakness. I expected more from Tillery. He seems to be more of finesse player, when it seems we a crying out for classic, Hard-nosed strong-man to better take on doubles.

Comment

• UglyTruth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2018
      • Send PM

https://boltbeat.com/2019/09/22/char...anic-patience/
      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Im not seeing pressure on the QB. Run defense was good with Perryman back.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          Im not seeing pressure on the QB. Run defense was good with Perryman back.
          Deshaun's escapability, bogus Roughing the Passer calls, Offensive Holding non calls. Victory is at our fingertips

TPB says...tear it all down, man.
          You don't know ball

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Deshaun's escapability, bogus Roughing the Passer calls, Offensive Holding non calls. Victory is at our fingertips

TPB says...tear it all down, man.
            Yep that was a killer...plus the called back TD. Refs killing us. Can't touch the QB at all. What is a DL supposed to do? They can't stop in mid air. Calling intentional roughing ok, but not incidental. There is a difference.

Comment

• Biggestfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SCRATCHBOLTNZ View Post
              I agree!

I thought the defensive line would be a strength of this team and it is bearly making even at the moment.

Bosa gives it on every play...Ingram..mmm.. not so much, but when hes in the mood...unstoppable! I just wish he was in the mood more!!

Interior is definately the weakness. I expected more from Tillery. He seems to be more of finesse player, when it seems we a crying out for classic, Hard-nosed strong-man to better take on doubles.
              Why this team didnt sign a solid interior dlineman this offseason I have no idea. Typical front office foolishness

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Tillery was coming off injury and I expected him to start off slowly. I expect he will be fine and gradually improve. The disappointing one to me is Justin Jones. After listening to the coaches and players rave about how much better he was after an offseason of reshaping his body and a year in the system he has been completely invisible. Perhaps having success practicing against our offensive line fooled everyone into thinking he could do that against other teams and have success.

Bosa and Ingram have had very little success generating heat in the pass, though I will say Bosa has been very good against the run.

Comment

• Biggestfan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  Tillery was coming off injury and I expected him to start off slowly. I expect he will be fine and gradually improve. The disappointing one to me is Justin Jones. After listening to the coaches and players rave about how much better he was after an offseason of reshaping his body and a year in the system he has been completely invisible. Perhaps having success practicing against our offensive line fooled everyone into thinking he could do that against other teams and have success.

Bosa and Ingram have had very little success generating heat in the pass, though I will say Bosa has been very good against the run.
                  The point is you need veteran presence on occasion. If they thought this front line would magically be much better than last year by default that's ridiculous. There were solid defensive tackles we could have signed in the interim while Jones and Tillery develop. Heck, maybe we should have kept Darius Philon for all I know. Square is a non factor. Mebane is waning badly. Makes no sense why we dont get interior d line help. This dline has been pushed around for many years now. So obviously its been a personnel issue. And trade Ingram too

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Yeah definitely dont need to resign Ingram after this contract if he plays like this for most of the season.

Comment

• SDBORN
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Year after year some of us have repeatedly wanted TT to just spend the cash on a proven interior guy. This is the most annoying thing. We spent money on an aged Mebane, an over the hill Thomas Davis, an unnecessary backup qb, and a useless Travis Benjamin.

​​​​​People will say he addressed it in the draft.

I'm sorry but drafting an undersized pass rush expert with a recent history of injury is not addressing this need, besides the fact that the position takes a while to develop either way. We will be lucky if he somehow hit with the Broughton pick, that is if we ever actually try and play the guy.

We've had our chances to pay someone in this area of need. But it was ignored time and time again. Last year we started the season with no Liuget for the first 4 games and no adjustment was made. We had a rough start back then too.

Nothing this orginization has done in recent years makes me think we are in win now mode.

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SCRATCHBOLTNZ View Post
                        I agree!

Bosa and Ingram have done NOTHING !!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡