• Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

HOU week3 Offense: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

I think i lost the 1st thread i posted last night, prolly forgot to hit "post"...:dunno:

O well here it is on the remake fellow diehards.

Play #1 The Good
    A great pocket from the O-Line. Phil climbs it well and hits Inman running a smooth in-out route.

Play #2 The Bad
    Listen to the audio. Phil calls Warhammer and tells Scott to squeeze inside for the blitz. Scott misses the outside rush and Phil throws a lame duck pass for Ekeler while under pressure. Tell me if i got it wrong here

Play #3 The Ugly
    Both Tackles cut block which i do not like. Both Feeney and Pouncey let a guy run around them. Phil doesnt see Inman is open. 3rd and 4 with the only short routes being TE culkin and RB Ekeler, where is our playmakers (Allen / Williams) ? bad playcall compounded with fumble. Just UGLY

• like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Good breakdown chillies.

As your #3 clearly shows....not all sacks are on the Oline. This one was completely on Phil.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

How is it Rivers fault? Houston had 3 pass rushers on that play. What the hell are they doing having the tackles cut block in that situation?

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
        How is it Rivers fault? Houston had 3 pass rushers on that play. What the hell are they doing having the tackles cut block in that situation?
        That was the designed protection scheme. Would guess that it was intended to be a quick pass. Phil held the ball.

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

That was the designed protection scheme. Would guess that it was intended to be a quick pass. Phil held the ball.
          Since nobody here has any idea on what the play was actually supposed to be, coming to that conclusion is just a guess.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Since nobody here has any idea on what the play was actually supposed to be, coming to that conclusion is just a guess.
            You're correct in guessing.

Given the scenario of both OTs preforming cut blocks and watching the WR action leads to that conclusion. Is this where the limited evidence leads? Yes. Am I 100% certain? Absolutely not.

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Maybe Phil audibled, and a few people didn't get the memo...

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Watt didn't fall for Tevi's cut block and recovered to help strip the rock from Rivers. Scott's cut block tripped his man, who also quickly recovered. Yep...not a fan of cut blocks because 1) you could injure a player and 2) players frequently recover from them to pressure or sack the QB anyway...

image.png

As Watt sidesteps Tevi, who is still on the deck, Scho is in perfect position to block Watt:

image.png

But no. Scho lets Watt blast right past him, then Watt punches the rock out of Rivers's hand, causing the strip. I blame Scho in large part for this strip.

image.png

Last edited by Topcat; 09-27-2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

in that 2nd pic you got there Cat you can see Inman coming wide open with room to run for TD, but Phil is looking left, similar to last weeks INT (vs DET)

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                    in that 2nd pic you got there Cat you can see Inman coming wide open with room to run for TD, but Phil is looking left, similar to last weeks INT (vs DET)
                    Wow, good point...if Rivers has just an extra second or two, he probably spots Inman...Scho again flying under the radar here...and failing to help out...

Comment

• Midwestbolt
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Midwest
                      • Local 150 operating engineer.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, good point...if Rivers has just an extra second or two, he probably spots Inman...Scho again flying under the radar here...and failing to help out...
                      Unfortunately he doesn't get that second. or even half second. He already has to make the decision to pull the ball down and run. Inman wasn't an option here, that's just wishful thinking. Judging by the cut blocks as others have said, this was likely designed for the quick hit. If you watch the coaches 22 you'll see there's not many good options for #17 at any point during this play. A quick lob to EK maybe the best? But...real easy to second guess over a week what happens within the span of about 2 seconds.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                        Good breakdown chillies.

As your #3 clearly shows....not all sacks are on the Oline. This one was completely on Phil.
                        The big problem was the 2 receiver running routes right next to each other on their release. Culkin and the slot receiver were not supposed to run the same route and mirror themselves. It confused Rivers because someone was running the wrong route.

As far as the protection goes, it was not great, and yes, ideally the ball should come out. When the receivers do something wrong, the whole play comes apart. Hou did a nice job of mixing up the rush. We like to expose our OL by using a lot of big on big protection, and with Hou bringing pressure on so many plays, Schofield HAS to honor the LB up near the line. And he can't start to wander and go block someone else too quickly, since Hou had been living off the delayed blitzes earlier.

This is the kind of rush where Remeo Crennel does what I call mixing up the tempo. He has given a steady diet of boring 4 man rushes with traditional 4 man looks, then a lot of blitzes out of uneven fronts, with the DL staggered with the rushers coming from odd angles. THen he mixes in a look that he has gotten pressure off of, and even though he doesn't bring it, our inexperienced receivers give him a big play.

Comment

Working...
                        X