MIA Week4: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly (DEFENSE)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
    a whiff, in baseball, is a swing and a miss. translate to tackling...I see a difference in a whiff versus a mistackle. sometimes guys break through arm tackles. I'd categorize that as a missed tackle, not a whiff. but to each his own I suppose.
    And I call it a launchwhiff when a player leaves his feet and launches himself like a missile, roughly parallel to the turf, missing the ballcarrier. Okay, so Nwosu briefly got a piece of the runner's leg, but he still launched and whiffed, in my book. I hate to see launchwhiffing any time, because it rarely results in a tackle. The better move is to take a proper angle, square up vs. the ballcarrier and wrap up. So, in Nwosu's case, the angle he took was a bit off, and, of course, he left his feet. Not good. Rarely effective.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think on that play Nwosu never had the chance to take a better angle, dunno if he was caught out of place or just slow to react, or maybe the guy with the ball was fast?

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        I think on that play Nwosu never had the chance to take a better angle, dunno if he was caught out of place or just slow to react, or maybe the guy with the ball was fast?
        Well, here's Nwosu right after the snap. He gets a great jump, and is in excellent position for the tackle:

image.png

But no. Instead of staying on his feet, Nwosu immediately begins his launch, apparently going for the big hit or the big TFL. Had Nwosu stayed on his feet, he could have at least forced the ballcarrier closer to where there was help on the tackle, or slowed him enough until help arrived to clean up, or wrapped up for the sure tackle. But when a player launches like this, he loses all control and options.

image.png

So, regarding angles, wrong angle is in red, which Nwosu took, launched and whiffed. Right angle in blue, staying on his feet, giving him a much better chance of closing in on the ballcarrier:

image.png
        Last edited by Topcat; 10-03-2019, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

What's the difference between a whiff and a missed tackle?
          What he says......

Whiff = complete miss
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

is there a snap a split second before? does it show nsowu crashing in while the ball carrier is heading the opposite direction nwosu is heading? this might explain why he tried to launch as he didnt have enough momentum heading in the same direction as the ball carrier. his launch was low so I doubt he was going for a big hit. when a ball carrier is running full speed in the opposite direction you are heading it's difficult to get up to speed to square up a runner. I'm not saying nwosu played it perfectly and just missed...just a different perspective.

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

just rewatched the vid...that's a tough tackle to make as the runner was running full speed at 90degree to nwosu who had to wait for the ball to be snapped...there's little chance he can square up. plus isnt that guy a WR? tough to to square up on that play IMO

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍