Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Trade Deadline

What, no Bolts?

Patriots, Chiefs, Ravens, Saints, Eagles, Seahawks among teams already laying groundwork for frenzied trade deadline

The run up to this year's deadline could be the most active we've seen in a long time

The trade deadline is still nearly a month away, but already there has been a rush of activity to express interest in certain valuable veteran players, and a sense among aggressive general managers that there are more potential trades to be made this year than possibly ever before.
    That sentiment was shared by the eight general managers I reached out to this week, all noting that the chasm between the contenders and pretenders seems more stark than in years past, and that it is no longer considered taboo for struggling teams to trade top players in-season or embrace a wholesale rebuild. The Bengals, Jets, Broncos, Dolphins, Cardinals and Washington are all winless, and there have never been more than six winless teams this late in the season since the 1970 merger of the AFL and NFL. If five teams or more remain winless entering Week 6, that will be an all-time record.
    Trades have become more commonplace in general in the NFL in recent years, with younger GMs with more diverse backgrounds (and not simply scouting) having accepted a mode of transaction that was largely frowned upon in the past, given the extreme team nature of this sport and the differences between schemes and terminologies from team to team. But now, several teams have already begun laying the framework for potential deals ahead of the October 29 deadline, sources said.
    The Saints, Eagles, Ravens, Chiefs, Patriots and Seahawks have been among the most active teams, league sources said, hopeful of addressing roster needs to fortify what they believe can be Super Bowl runs. Many of these teams have already been in pursuit of disgruntled Jaguars star corner Jalen Ramsey, who still could be dealt ahead of the deadline; the Chiefs, Eagles, Ravens and Saints, in particular, are pushing for corner upgrades.
    The Patriots have issues at the offensive line, tight end and receiver, and are expected to push for players like Bengals receiver A.J. Green and/or tight end Tyler Eifert; those players also appeal to the Saints, sources said, who made a real effort to land Denver's Emmanuel Sanders a year ago and likely would again.

The Ravens need to address a flagging defense and will attempt to do so, sources said, with Denver's Derek Wolfe making sense for them, and any other pass-rush help, too.
    The Eagles tried to land star defensive back Patrick Peterson from the Cardinals a year ago, and he could be dealt when he returns from suspension as well, with Arizona yet to win and in need of future draft picks instead of 30-something players.
    Washington has refused to trade holdout star left tackle Trent Williams to this point, baffling rival GMs who used adjectives like "ridiculous," "unbelievable" and "backwards" to describe the team's approach to that situation. Still, some believe owner Dan Snyder will relent at some point this month with his franchise spiraling. Could that prompt him to deal stalwart end Ryan Kerrigan as well? If so, there would be serious interest. Same with Bengals defensive standouts Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap.
    It has the makings of a wild few weeks until the deadline. Traditionally, this would result in far more talk than action. But that tide may finally be changing.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Lone Bolt
    Brock Bowers N.M.W.
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    What, no Bolts?

I'm gonna say I'm fine with that. I don't think we can afford to give away draft capitol...we may need furthur oline development, and we may need to start acquiring draft capitol to move up for a QB in the next few years...not giving it away. I might be okay with a savvy vet to help us get through till the bye, when we may get back a couple of our stars...but nothing more than a late round pick in exchange. Don't really know whats out there in that price range that might help us. In any event, I'm fine with this ship. If it flounders, we will identify needed repairs, and address the next offseason and draft...

I will say this...if this oline, given a full season to grow, does not show up big by the end of the year...I would like to see an overhaul, starting with the oline coach.
    Last edited by Lone Bolt; 10-09-2019, 09:01 AM.
    The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I'm gonna say I'm fine with that. I don't think we can afford to give away draft capitol...we may need furthur oline development, and we may need to start acquiring draft capitol to move up for a QB in the next few years...not giving it away. I might be okay with a savvy vet to help us get through till the bye, when we may get back a couple of our stars...but nothing more than a late round pick in exchange. Don't really know whats out there in that price range that might help us. In any event, I'm fine with this ship. If it flounders, we will identify needed repairs, and address the next offseason and draft...

I will say this...if this oline, given a full season to grow, does not show up big by the end of the year...I would like to see an overhaul, starting with the oline coach.
      It's about whether this team wants to try and win a SB with Rivers.....or just let Rivers go and start over again on offense..... Rivers only has a limited number of years left..... we can't keep waiting till next year... and without a better OL, Rivers may be forced to retire earlier than any of us want....Rivers has taken a beating so far.... then there is no problem trading future picks for an all pro LT who can keep Rivers upright and help him get to a SB......

We should have plenty of high draft picks after Rivers is retired so we can eventually draft another QB.....

Remember one of the great Chargers trades ever was Ricky Young for Ed White...... This team needs at least one great OL..... I would send Gordon and a pick to Wash for their LT....... maybe our rookie OT can step in and save our OL and Rivers...... ?

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

It's about whether this team wants to try and win a SB with Rivers.....or just let Rivers go and start over again on offense..... Rivers only has a limited number of years left..... we can't keep waiting till next year... and without a better OL, Rivers may be forced to retire earlier than any of us want....Rivers has taken a beating so far.... then there is no problem trading future picks for an all pro LT who can keep Rivers upright and help him get to a SB......

We should have plenty of high draft picks after Rivers is retired so we can eventually draft another QB.....

Remember one of the great Chargers trades ever was Ricky Young for Ed White...... This team needs at least one great OL..... I would send Gordon and a pick to Wash for their LT....... maybe our rookie OT can step in and save our OL and Rivers...... ?
        of course we do, and.... who's to say we can't do it w/Trent Scott @LT ??

the hole on the Oline moving forward is @the OC, and the draft has some options at that position, as things stand now.

Nutty has shown how a quality infusion of Oline talent can most affect the win/loss column, and.... thinkin' a healthy and contributing center could help as well, and....

think the same can be said for a productive RB, as it has been shown that rookie tailbacks can hit the ground running in the NFL, and be helpful in terms of wins and losses as well.

and if we can throw out the three year rule on receivers, there is no reason that we can't supplement Keenan and MW w/a rookie wideout as well.

there is also FA and coupla few other draft picks to be had.

think once we get out of the soccer stadium and into Hollywood Park, think you've got to go all in on the Skpper…. don't you ?? !!
        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• UglyTruth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2018
          • Send PM

If we lose to the Steelers, the Chargers need to turn into sellers and start the damn rebuild that they’ve been delaying for years.
          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Boltsfan70
            East Coast Chargers Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
            • Send PM

Trade bosa, ingram and gordon to get a boat load of picks over the next 2 drafts. We wont or will not pay them so get what you can for them.

Comment

• Budsman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

I don’t love trading our first for anything short of Williams. Williams is the type of player that can help us out now and be an integral part of the oline moving forward. He is light years better than any ot in the draft and he helps us now.

Other than that I like Ramsey but that asking price is too high unfortunately and frankly someone will outbid us.

Other than that some bets on either side of the line is good for us.

If rivers does get beaten this season I could see him walking away. It may not be worth it for him to push it into the new stadium. I honestly wonder if we wouldn’t be better with a mobile QB with this Swiss cheese line.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

of course we do, and.... who's to say we can't do it w/Trent Scott @LT ??

the hole on the Oline moving forward is @the OC, and the draft has some options at that position, as things stand now.

Nutty has shown how a quality infusion of Oline talent can most affect the win/loss column, and.... thinkin' a healthy and contributing center could help as well, and....

think the same can be said for a productive RB, as it has been shown that rookie tailbacks can hit the ground running in the NFL, and be helpful in terms of wins and losses as well.

and if we can throw out the three year rule on receivers, there is no reason that we can't supplement Keenan and MW w/a rookie wideout as well.

there is also FA and coupla few other draft picks to be had.

think once we get out of the soccer stadium and into Hollywood Park, think you've got to go all in on the Skpper…. don't you ?? !!
                Nutty is Nutty.

Ronnie Stanley/Orlando Brown of BAL,
                both of whom we could have drafted,
                and both of whom Nutty kinda touted,
                are now recognized as a top tier OT tandem.

Taylor Lewan/Jack Conklin of TEN,
                both of whom Nutty heavily touted,
                have descended into the abyss.

NO rolled the dice in a Trey Pipkins type move, with Terron Armstead. I know you and I both liked Ryan Ramczyk, their ORT. There's a great tandem.

It is clear now that SYB and company were spot on regarding the emerging La'el Collins. We could have drafted him in round 7.

I personally studied for hours and touted...
                --Billy Price (fail.)
                --Dan Feeney (still incomplete.)
                -- Forrest Lamp (still incomplete.)

My conclusion is that no one is an Oline expert, and every fan knows Oline is important. It is all serendipitous. It is all a mixed bag.
                You don't know ball

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Nutty is Nutty.

NO rolled the dice in a Trey Pipkins type move, with Terron Armstead. I know you and I both liked Ryan Ramczyk, their ORT. There's a great tandem.

It is clear now that SYB and company were spot on regarding the emerging La'el Collins. We could have drafted him in round 7.

--Billy Price (fail.)

My conclusion is that no one is an Oline expert, and every fan knows Oline is important. It is all serendipitous. It is all a mixed bag.
                  OL for me are the hardest to evaluate. I never played OL and really have to focus a lot more on them which for some reason is harder to do for me.
                  I agree with Beach about Scott. He looks like he can be one to develope where Tevi is the bigger problem at OT. Feeney is still a work in progress.

I also see teams acquiring some pretty decent players for low round picks like a 5th and such. I don't mind giving up a 5th for a OL who can help us.

I'd love to have T. Williams but he has been an injury concern nearly his whole career and a first I hate to give up but the time is now with Rivers to make a move. Getting him can make Scott move to RT.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltsfan70 View Post
                    Trade bosa, ingram and gordon to get a boat load of picks over the next 2 drafts. We wont or will not pay them so get what you can for them.
                    If we went the fire sale route, I would keep Bosa. He's young, and we could rebuild around him.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Do people really think this team would go into fire sale mode? I see zero chance of that happening, even if we lose every game between now and the deadline.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Nutty is Nutty.

--Billy Price (fail.)

Wood, I was with you pre-draft on Lamp, and I think he is only now starting to show what he showed in college. I personally feel it was a LONG rehab from that injury, which set him back really two years, when you consider getting into play shape and the game slowing down for him. So, I still think Lamp was/is/will be a solid pick. Now, Feeney is more of a head scratcher. I'd like to keep him in at C and see how he develops...

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍