• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackMamba
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

The Young Guys are Ready

It's obvious the issue with the team right now is coaching, and it goes beyond the playcalling by Wiz and Gus, which also leaves MUCH to be desired but that's been talked about enough. Why are we continuing to start has-beens and scrubs who were never good to begin with and have them play a meaningful amount of snaps when 1) they're clearly not getting it done, and 2) there is a group of guys we've put together in recent years that is ready to play NOW. And even if they're not there quite yet, is it honestly going to be much worse than playing guys who have no future with this team while we're losing precious games? Guys like Nwosu, J. Jones, Lamp, Tranquill, Kyzir, Adderley (though he's hurt right now), and even the young receivers can help us and have so much more upside than what we're doing now, whether this season or for future development. They should be getting the majority of snaps on an injury-riddled, underperforming team that desperately needs a shot of energy, but inexplicably are not.

The Lynn old school mentality of having guys "earn" their snaps through training camp or whatever else outdated notion is in his head is costing us big time. It's just a knuckledheaded stubbornness that makes no sense whatsoever. I'm calling it now, we're going to stay on our current path, not make any meaningful changes to the roster and be a couple games under .500 by December. Then he'll finally start the youth movement when it's too late, they'll ball out as expected, we'll win a few games we're not expected to in December and it'll amount to an 8-8 wasted season with no playoffs or high draft pick. Rinse and repeat. All because he wants to do right by his veterans. Yuck.
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlackMamba View Post
    Why are we continuing to start has-beens and scrubs who were never good to begin with and have them play a meaningful amount of snaps when 1) they're clearly not getting it done, and 2) there is a group of guys we've put together in recent years that is ready to play NOW. And even if they're not there quite yet, is it honestly going to be much worse than playing guys who have no future with this team while we're losing precious games? Guys like Nwosu, J. Jones, Lamp, Tranquill, Kyzir, Adderley (though he's hurt right now), and even the young receivers can help us and have so much more upside than what we're doing now, whether this season or for future development. They should be getting the majority of snaps on an injury-riddled, underperforming team that desperately needs a shot of energy, but inexplicably are not.
    Nwosu and J. Jones are getting their playing time. Lamp has yet to be a starter, but is slowly being worked in. I'd like to see Pipkins take over at RT in place of Tevi. I want to see Broughton get brought along, because the DT/NT group is really underwhelming aside from Tillery.

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Get Adderly in soon as he is healthy Jenkins is not fit for Free Safety. I also 2nd the thought of Lamp and Pipkens in!

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I'm in favor of replacing anybody who sucks with someone who might not suck as bad. I know, weird.

Comment

• RollingThunder
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          I'm in favor of replacing anybody who sucks with someone who might not suck as bad. I know, weird.
          This is absolute genius.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Lamp looked like their best offensive lineman last Sunday. He continuously gave Rivers a huge pocket by stonewalling the bull rush.

Maybe Rivers likes offensive guards on roller skates...i don't know, but its starting to be a huge head scratcher why this guy doesn't start.

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Yeah again that is on this coaching staff.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                LOL...classic! Send that in a memo to Lynn...

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                  Lamp looked like their best offensive lineman last Sunday. He continuously gave Rivers a huge pocket by stonewalling the bull rush.

Maybe Rivers likes offensive guards on roller skates...i don't know, but its starting to be a huge head scratcher why this guy doesn't start.
                  Lamp wasn't perfect...I was watching him closely...at least he kept the pressure to his outside instead of inside...

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Completely disagree with the lead thread. Blocking and tackling and we would be 5-0 and running away with the division. Coaching has nothing to do with it.

We have a lto fo young depth players being forced into starting roles. Would you have pissed away the future to keep the same piss poor backups?

The young players who suck now will get better with time.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Where does this magical blocking and tackling you speak of come from? From the guys who've been starting who aren't blocking and tackling? Would not common sense, much less quality coaching, suggest trying new guys? Especially when the current starters we're all bitching about have been doing this shit for at least a full season if not longer? if you are suggesting coaching is not the issue, Steve, then would not the thread starter's premise of playing different guys be 100% valid? If guys don't get better over time, and it's not the coaching, then what? I had hopes for Tevi, he sucks. Scho and Feeney are what they are, not seeing any progression with them from last season, just zero. Scott looks like he's in over his head. Jenkins plays FS like Feeney plays guard, just zero recognition of where he needs to be, should not be put in that position IMO. And Mebane, freaking Mebane, is our best interior DL. I wish these guys (the unnamed ones as well) were looking better, but they seem to be remaining constant to where they are. And isn't the definition of insanity expecting a different outcome from the same set of constant variables?

Maybe I'm way off base and these sucky players we're starting become world beaters, I'm no football coach, I just see a very bad team at many positions, with nothing to hang my hat on for expecting improvements.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

We need Mike Williams to step up and play like a top 10 draft pick. Outside of Keenan Allen, our WR corps is anemic. The first INT Rivers threw Sunday, Williams got a hand on the ball and tipped to the DB who picked it. It probably wasn't a catchable pass, it was pretty high. But that is what Williams was supposed to do for Rivers, create a big catch radius. On the 2nd INT, in the end zone, Williams got out high-pointed by the DB who intercepted the ball. Rivers probably shouldn't have thrown that pass. But he probably thought Williams was going to fight for it. Williams isn't going to create a lot of separation. He doesn't have the speed or the moves. His game is supposed to be his size, strength and physicality. He needs to start making that work for him and not let DBs get the better of him.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍