• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

You clearly did not attend many Raider, Steeler, Bronco or Green Bay games...
    I saw them all. First, there aren't many Green Bay or Steeler games in San Diego. They only cone around once every 4 years at the most. Raiders and Broncos were every year and yes once it was apparent that the Chargers were leaving and less home fans showed up there were some bad crowds. But it was nothing like it is now and I have been going to Charger games since the 60's. You're just wrong.

the only time Broncos and packers fans outnumbered Charger fans was the they played each other in the super bowl in San Diego. I was at that game too

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
      Aren't there any billionairews with ties to San Diego? That might want to become a legend in their own time, by buying the team and bringing them home?
      The bufoons that run our team will never make the right decisions. The sooner they're gone, the better.
      If said billionaire pays for a stadium because the city won't. IMO SD will never get another football team unless the owner builds it.
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

There used to be plenty of Chargers fans in San Diego, even when they sucked. I remember going to the draft event at the stadium the year we drafted Junior. We had SUCKED the year before (6 - 10) and yet the place WAS PACKED with fans. I miss those days.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
          Superbowl?
          • Sep 2018
          • Los Angeles/Chicago
          • Send PM

The Chargers have no fans storyline is exhausting. To me it is common sense. If it were the San Diego Bears or the L.A. Packers it would be the same for those teams. If it were the Buffalo Chargers or Cleveland Chargers we would have no storyline. Why? Because Buffalo and Cleveland are not destination cities nor transient cities. If you are a Patriots fan and want to get away from the 0 degree winter and take your family on vacation are you taking them to Buffalo or instead San Diego for the Zoo, ocean, Seaworld, weather, game same with L.A., Disney, Universal, ocean, weather, game? The same thing is going to happen to the Raiders in Vegas, Steeler fans, Cowboys fans etc. are going to invade that town on the weekend their team is there and take over the stadium. It is what it is, I just wish everyone else would see it, not that big of a deal because it happens to the Cardinals, etc.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I saw them all. First, there aren't many Green Bay or Steeler games in San Diego. They only cone around once every 4 years at the most. Raiders and Broncos were every year and yes once it was apparent that the Chargers were leaving and less home fans showed up there were some bad crowds. But it was nothing like it is now and I have been going to Charger games since the 60's. You're just wrong.

the only time Broncos and packers fans outnumbered Charger fans was the they played each other in the super bowl in San Diego. I was at that game too
            I have only been going to games since the early 70s so I can't comment about the 60s.

San Diego has always been a bandwagon town with a ton of transplants that are fans of other teams. There were small windows of time when the team was really good that people jumped on the bandwagon. There were many more windows of sucking where people did not follow the team. That has always been reflected in the attendance and percentage of other teams fans at games. We had an artificial ticket guarantee in place for a while that inflated things. I had season tickets for 28 years and did not miss a single game and I totally disagree that when any team with a strong following like I listed played here that there was not a VERY large contingent of other teams fans here - even when we were good.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
              There used to be plenty of Chargers fans in San Diego, even when they sucked. I remember going to the draft event at the stadium the year we drafted Junior. We had SUCKED the year before (6 - 10) and yet the place WAS PACKED with fans. I miss those days.
              I was there. I think that was the year I won the draft game by picking the most players drafted in the first round. Got a hat out of it. I miss those draft parties.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• pacstud
                Black Belt Poster
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Yes, its horrible but are you serious with this post? They moved to a city that had zero interest in them being there. Most people knew that to be the case. Not Spanos. They either bought into Fabiani's oft-repeated theory about the bigger market and bigger revenue or just hoped against all evidence to the contrary that they could make it work.
                According to some, it's all an illusion, and in point of fact the stadium is packed with rabid Bolt fans.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I was there. I think that was the year I won the draft game by picking the most players drafted in the first round. Got a hat out of it. I miss those draft parties.
                  Remeber how the place erupted when the Bucs and Ray Perkins picked his Alabama guy Keith McCants instead of Junior. McCants played 6 seasons for 3 teams and never really did squat. All because Perkins had recruited him.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Remeber how the place erupted when the Bucs and Ray Perkins picked his Alabama guy Keith McCants instead of Junior. McCants played 6 seasons for 3 teams and never really did squat. All because Perkins had recruited him.
                    Yes I do. The whole town wanted Junior. And we got him. I don't recall another draft pick ever getting that reception, even Rivers because of the unusual way he got here.

And it shows you the luck in the draft. Junior and McCants were equally rated prospects. McCants went nowhere. Junior went to the HOF.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                      • Sep 2018
                      • JoJa
                      • Send PM

Yes I do. The whole town wanted Junior. And we got him. I don't recall another draft pick ever getting that reception, even Rivers because of the unusual way he got here.

And it shows you the luck in the draft. Junior and McCants were equally rated prospects. McCants went nowhere. Junior went to the HOF.
                      All the announcer got out was "Keith...." and the whole room blew up knowing Junior had fallen to us. That was so flipping cool as I had just watched Junior win the MVP at the Rose Bowl in person a few months before. My brother spun around and high fived me with such force, he broke my watch band. It's one of those moments I will never forget.

Comment

• chris9341
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

The Chargers are not at home in LA. They need to find a new city that actually wants them.
                        I agree and Portland would be the perfect place for them to relocate.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

I agree and Portland would be the perfect place for them to relocate.
                          Or Utah. The sports fans there support their college teams and NBA team (Jazz) pretty well so I'm sure they'd do the same for an NFL team.
                          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

Working...
                          X