• Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    We throw the ball that much because we fell behind and we cannot consistently gain yardage in the running game. Sure, we get the occasional nice run, but when we face lots of 3rd and longs and stuggle to protect Rivers, it is really hard to keep driving the ball. The only choice is to try and stay on the positive side of the down and distance (on schedule) and that means throwing it a lot.
    I understand falling behind and needing to catch up, but there was plenty of Football to be played when we were down 14-0. In my film study i saw quite a few 3 and out shotgun drives. I want some change, some balance. If me ( an outback goon) can spot shotgun formation = pass then what do you think NFL DC's are doin?

I have made this statement for years and stand by it : Rivers throws 30+ times usually ends in a loss.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

^^^ Yes, this. Let Rivers be that effective weapon he can be, he can slice up a D like Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken can slice up a wing’s face.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

I understand falling behind and needing to catch up, but there was plenty of Football to be played when we were down 14-0. In my film study i saw quite a few 3 and out shotgun drives. I want some change, some balance. If me ( an outback goon) can spot shotgun formation = pass then what do you think NFL DC's are doin?

I have made this statement for years and stand by it : Rivers throws 30+ times usually ends in a loss.
        I can't stand that shotgun formation, especially on first and second down...it's so predictable...Chili, there was an interesting article in BFTB which kind of confirms what you're saying about Rivers throwing too much:

"Philip Rivers is just a couple months shy of 38 years old, and he’s on pace to throw for the second most passing attempts in his career. A pace that’s also good for half a dozen throws a game more than he’s had in any of his best seasons. Losing inflates passing attempts, but through five games the Chargers have been competitive till the end in every one, and still Philip Rivers is throwing the ball more than he did during the 5-11 season in 2016 as well as the year his running backs were Branden Oliver and Donald Brown almost all year. None of this paragraph should be true with this team.

The Chargers roster, even in it’s current, almost impossibly injury-depleted state features an embarrassment of riches at the running back position, and it’s being under utilized at the moment. All Austin Ekeler has done in the absence of Melvin Gordon is look as dynamic as any back in the world not named Christian McCaffrey. He’s 4th in the league in yards from scrimmage and tied for 3rd in total touchdowns to this point after leading the league alone with 6 touchdowns after week 4, prior to Gordon’s return.

Justin Jackson is having a strong follow up to his rookie campaign, sitting at a remarkable 7.9 yards per carry average on 18 carries, even with multiple long touchdowns being erased due to questionable holding penalties.

The third most effective running back on the roster at the moment looks like Melvin Gordon, a player who while many have divided opinions on, convinced the vast majority last year that he’s at least an above average starter.

The Chargers offensive line has seemingly had infinitely more success opening lanes for the running backs not named Melvin Gordon than they have trying to keep Rivers clean this season."

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...e-their-season
        Last edited by Topcat; 10-11-2019, 07:39 AM.

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
          The one play that made me want to yell at the TV was he goal to go and they bring in Taylor for the gimmick play. With how the offense was struggling we did not have plays to waste like that.
          That was fucking Lynn doing his fucking shit....

Comment

Working...
          X