What Type of QB Do You Want The Chargers To Draft When The Time Comes?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

What Type of QB Do You Want The Chargers To Draft When The Time Comes?

Myself I like someone who can stay in the pocket even when there is pressure and deliver a dot. I just feel that QB's that can scramble cannot win a superbowl unless that team has a great running game and a great defense. You can say what about Russell Wilson? Well I like Wilson but when the Seahawks won that superbowl in which they trounced the Donkeys it was the Seahawks defense that won them that game. Just look at all of the QB's who have won a superbowl and what type of passers they were. I know a lot of people are stuck on Tua as the number one pick in next years draft but if teams are smart they should draft Herbert from Oregon and I pray to god that he falls to us. I just like him better then Tua.
  • mecho
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

I would like someone in the mould of Aaron Rodgers can make most of the throws from the pocket but has enough speed to run if needs be

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

A lefty...

NO !!
      Not Matt Leinart !!

:koolaid:

2- ahh !!
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chris9341
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        A lefty...

NO !!
        Not Matt Leinart !!

:koolaid:

2- ahh !!
        Has a lefty ever won a SB? I know of just one who came close and that was Boomer Esiason.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

Has a lefty ever won a SB? I know of just one who came close and that was Boomer Esiason.
          Jim Zorn never got the chance...cryin' shame.

Comment

• BoltBacker
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Las Vegas, NV
            • Send PM

Ken Stabler won a Super Bowl.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
              Ken Stabler won a Super Bowl.
              If only Tebow had a defense.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

rocket arm, great touch/precision passer, cerebral - reads defenses like comic books, can stand in the teeth of a fierce pass rush with cool deliberation, runs like grease lightning, has a 6th and 7th sense about where the soft spot is in coverage or where they are bringing pressure, coach on the field type, throws people open routinely, can play the position blindfolded,

the alpha of alphas

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

and on top of all that, a lefty (in the throwing sense). Fierce christian values.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Myself I like someone who can stay in the pocket even when there is pressure and deliver a dot. I just feel that QB's that can scramble cannot win a superbowl unless that team has a great running game and a great defense. You can say what about Russell Wilson? Well I like Wilson but when the Seahawks won that superbowl in which they trounced the Donkeys it was the Seahawks defense that won them that game. Just look at all of the QB's who have won a superbowl and what type of passers they were. I know a lot of people are stuck on Tua as the number one pick in next years draft but if teams are smart they should draft Herbert from Oregon and I pray to god that he falls to us. I just like him better then Tua.
                    I think Eason is your man.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by mecho View Post
                      I would like someone in the mould of Aaron Rodgers can make most of the throws from the pocket but has enough speed to run if needs be
                      Agree. Run first QBs don't last and with the game on the line, you need a QB that can pass because there are too many times when you won't be able to scramble for it. Guys like Watson and Jackson just take way too many hits.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

The ideal QB has a combination of attributes:

1. Arm strength, mechanics, and accuracy: The obvious things. This used to be the only real thing evaluators looked at and it has led to many busts, but they are all important. Josh Rosen does well on most measures of evaluation but lacks accuracy. I have noticed players with a baseball background often have above average accuracy. Brady & Mayfield are examples.

2. Vision, fluidity, instincts, and improvisational ability: This separates QBs who have the measurable talent from those that can actually produce on the field. In a testing drill Blake Bortles probably looks 10x the QB that Gardner Minshew is. He's much bigger, much taller, and has much greater arm strength. But put them both in a game and Bortles falls apart and Minshew starts to look really good. If a player has a basketball background they tend to be excellent in this area. Basketball builds vision, fluidity, and instincts that can't be duplicated from any other sport. But this set of characteristics are something a player either has or doesn't, can't really be improved. After accuracy this is the most important characteristic IMO. A good question to ask when evaluating this ability is, "Could I picture this guy playing point guard for a basketball team?" Aaron Rodgers & Deshaun Watson may have never touched a basketball in their lives but the way they look on the football field I could picture them doing it. Same with Kyler Murray. Mahomes was actually an all district Bball player and I see a lot of that in his game. Josh Allen & Trubisky? No way.

3. Raw athleticism. Speed and quickness. In the modern football era a player has to have the raw athletic ability to extend plays and move around in and outside the pocket. Not really a deal breaker though a player just has to be adequate enough. Tony Romo was a very good QB that had 2 but not 3. Jake Locker was a QB that had 1 & 3 but no 2. Vinnie Testaverde was actually a really good athlete and out of this world in "1" but lacked 2.

4. Mentality under pressure: This encompasses competitiveness and ability to deal with pressure and a lot of it is genetic. Great QBs (and many athletes in general) are often assholes in general. In certain mental evaluations they have much in common with psychopaths. A psychopath can actually routinely pass a lie detector test because a lie detector test is really a "stress tolerance" test. You want someone who is highly resistant to stress. A normal person under stress loses fine motor skills and vision. Stressful neurochemicals cause the body to overproduce adrenaline which leads to extreme tunnel vision. In an extremely stressful situation the average person struggles to even control their fingers well enough to punch '911" on their phone. You want someone who deals with stress very well. Science has found that daredevils & those with ADHD have a mental quirk where under baseline conditions their brain is understimulated but stressful situations just normalize them. I suspect some QBs like Brett Favre had some level of ADHD. But regardless, great players in big situations don't change, they just stay the same. Everyone else changes.

So put all that together and rate QBs in each of those categories.

Rodgers: Excellent 1, 2, 3, and 4.
                        Mahomes: Excellent 1, 2, 3, and 4 looks to be trending in the right direction. Mahomes is a perfect encapsulation of his background. Son of a major league pitcher and 90 mph pitcher himself, all district basketball player, and football player.

I will say from what I've seen Joe Burrow definitely has #1 and was also an all state basketball player.

Tua looks the part in every area except for his elongated release but that's probably a mild gripe.

I've seen too much tunnel vision from Fromm.

Need to see more of Herbert.
                        Last edited by Kellyb72601; 10-26-2019, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X