• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Rivers was awful his whole career at come from behind games, if that’s a metric for Taylor it’s a wash, but with fewer INTs in those situations, not a bad thing.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      Rivers was awful his whole career at come from behind games, if that’s a metric for Taylor it’s a wash, but with fewer INTs in those situations, not a bad thing.
      27 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 32 Game-Winning Drives

Even last year he had two come from behind wins - Indy and the Bears.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        Lol, you sure you watch the games?
        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Thats not counting the games he gave us the lead only to have the defense lose it on the last drive

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

If Taylor is our staring QB, we won’t have to worry about all those one score losses because we won’t be within one score of most teams at the end of the game.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

2 per year for game winning drives. Yep, I watched.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                If Taylor is our staring QB, we won’t have to worry about all those one score losses because we won’t be within one score of most teams at the end of the game.
                Well that will certainly make for less anxiety and pulling hair out

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I don’t agree either. He had some great comebacks. 32 games sounds like a lot but over 16 years ... thats 2/yr. I don’t know if thats stellar. A QB could be undefeated his entire career and not have a single 4thQ comeback because he always got his team the lead before the 3rdQ ended. A QB could get a ton of 4thQ opportunities because he always played shitty in the first half and put his team in a hole. By itself, its just an interesting number. it doesnt say how many opportunities he had, nor why he had those opportunities. 32 out of 33 would be great if he didn’t put them in a hole those 33 games and just played well to level it out. But 32 out of 3000 ... nothing to brag about. You get my drift.

I wouldn’t crow about last year, he lost more games than he won. I wish him well, but also don’t feel bad for him. He got paid high starting QB money for 16 yrs where the avg player gets maybe a couple years at min salary (or never get beyond PS). I’m ready to move on.

I don’t get the feeling some have that he’s the last reason they were charger fans and now they probably won’t be fans anymore. I don’t doubt them, nor question them. But i don’t get it, I assume they are new and didn’t live through all the pre-Rivers eras. I’m a charger fan more than a Phil fan. I first became a charger fan As a kid when Hadl was nearing his end. I watched the laughable Unitas misadventure, the Svare debacle, Foust lousy start before Coryell arrived and he led the best offense in NFL. The couple Stan Years bracketed by a long string on each side of horrible QBs - Phil stands in solid contention as their best ever. But he’s just a player, he’s not the team.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t agree either. He had some great comebacks. 32 games sounds like a lot but over 16 years ... thats 2/yr. I don’t know if thats stellar. A QB could be undefeated his entire career and not have a single 4thQ comeback because he always got his team the lead before the 3rdQ ended. A QB could get a ton of 4thQ opportunities because he always played shitty in the first half and put his team in a hole. By itself, its just an interesting number. it doesnt say how many opportunities he had, nor why he had those opportunities. 32 out of 33 would be great if he didn’t put them in a hole those 33 games and just played well to level it out. But 32 out of 3000 ... nothing to brag about. You get my drift.

I wouldn’t crow about last year, he lost more games than he won. I wish him well, but also don’t feel bad for him. He got paid high starting QB money for 16 yrs where the avg player gets maybe a couple years at min salary (or never get beyond PS). I’m ready to move on.

I don’t get the feeling some have that he’s the last reason they were charger fans and now they probably won’t be fans anymore. I don’t doubt them, nor question them. But i don’t get it, I assume they are new and didn’t live through all the pre-Rivers eras. I’m a charger fan more than a Phil fan. I first became a charger fan As a kid when Hadl was nearing his end. I watched the laughable Unitas misadventure, the Svare debacle, Foust lousy start before Coryell arrived and he led the best offense in NFL. The couple Stan Years bracketed by a long string on each side of horrible QBs - Phil stands in solid contention as their best ever. But he’s just a player, he’s not the team.
                    Well you know we have been behind a lot in Rivers career and again, That don't include the times he gave us the lead late only to have the defense crumble and lose or the number would be higher

Also, Rivers didn't start his first 2 years so it's a little more than 2 a year.

The years we went 14-2 ,12-4, etc...I'm sure there weren't many needs to come back but he did a few in 2018 we know of.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

. He got paid high starting QB money for 16 yrs where the avg player gets maybe a couple years at min salary (or never get beyond PS). I’m ready to move on.
                      I agree, he's set for life. But, I sure do wish him well. Sixteen years of never even missing one game - I wonder if we'll ever see that again? He gave us a lot of good memories but so did many others before him and I have no doubt there will be many more as the years roll by. If we play the team he's on next year I'll certainly be pulling for the Chargers.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Thats not counting the games he gave us the lead only to have the defense lose it on the last drive
                        You're right. Rivers had a lot of great game winning moments and was let down by defense and special teams too.

But It goes both ways. Rivers also threw away a number of games where the rest of the team did enough to win.

The reason QB get so much credit/blame.

Like a pitcher. Throw 6 inning of shutout ball. Up 3-0 in the 7th. And a couple walks and 1 hanging pitch and just like that 3-3.

For a QB. 14/17 150yd 2 td. 1st half.
                        Up 17-10.
                        Driving in 3rd quarter, in FG range. Chance to go up 20-10 or get td and be up 24-10. Then...1 bad throwing decision for a pick 6. And its 17-17.

Being an NFL QB is a tough job.

Rivers has had way more ups than downs as a QB. One of the greatest Chargers ever. But he choked away a game here and there. And when there are only 16. 1 or 2 game can be enough to miss playoffs.

The worst was Rivers playing like an MVP and having an historically terrible special team killing his chances.
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                          San Diego Native
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Farmington, NM
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Let's put it this way...I and a few others have been saying that Tyrod, in the right system, with a few more decent weapons than he had at Buffalo, can play well...let's give the dude a chance...
                          I moved to D.C. for grad school in 2007. Lived and worked in the mid-Atlantic (DC area and Norfolk, VA) through 2014. The team to watch in those parts is VA Tech. I watched a ton of him in college and then a bit in Baltimore. I'm a Tyrod fan. I was thrilled when we signed him a year ago because I have seen him win. He will give us a chance to win. He is likely the Chargers QB1 for 2020 and if things work out... 2020 and beyond. I'm ok with that.

Comment

Working...
                          X