• Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Exactly.
    Although I am guessing Russell can go for a few more years.
    I wish I had your confidence in Okung's health. When he's healthy, we're so much better as a team.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Exactly.
      Although I am guessing Russell can go for a few more years.
      Not me, I think he's done. He's still a good OT when he's able to play but he's not worth a nickle when he is on the sidelines watching. He's a great guy though.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Not me, I think he's done. He's still a good OT when he's able to play but he's not worth a nickle when he is on the sidelines watching. He's a great guy though.
        The so called "evidence" that Okung is done consists of Russell stating that he has not made up is mind.
        This is a personal risk/reward decision.
        The lack of availability in 2019 was a direct result of his cardivascular conditioned.
        Once managed by meds, there is no reason Okung cannot be capable of coming back and playing several more years.
        The same thing goes for Pouncey, once he gets rid of the fire in his neck.
        I for one am not throwing away Oline assets, whether highly talented, or just barely capable of developing into journeymen.
        Snaps are worth a great deal.

I remind everyone that the Chargers stated last year, whether we like it or not, that Jonah Williams and Andre Dillard alone wre on their radar as early picks.
        Flash forward to the 2020 Draft. There are two OTs,Andrew Thomas and Dedrick Wills that fit us in early slotting, based upon talent level and scheme fit.
        If there is an early run on OTs, we will draft a different position. Later round offensive linemen will NOT be significantly more impactful than who we already have.
        The experience Pipkens, Qberry and others are getting right now, will lead to something.
        Argue all day. But then watch what happens in April.

Our time is better spent studying Slot WRs who can beat press coverage, and DTs who can augment JJ, Tillery, Bosa and Ingram.
        SFs defensive backfield was terrible last year. Then they draft Nick to complete their defensive front. I digress.
        You don't know ball

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

I think Okung missed the early games due to the afib, but when he came back he started missing time because of muscle things, calf, etc. Those worry me. I have afib myself and I know it can be handled by the right meds. I trust he has those so I discount the afib.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            I think Okung missed the early games due to the afib, but when he came back he started missing time because of muscle things, calf, etc. Those worry me. I have afib myself and I know it can be handled by the right meds. I trust he has those so I discount the afib.
            I’m not able to bet anything on Pipkins after watching the game yesterday. I assume everyone else saw it too?
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

The so called "evidence" that Okung is done consists of Russell stating that he has not made up is mind.
              This is a personal risk/reward decision.
              The lack of availability in 2019 was a direct result of his cardivascular conditioned.
              Once managed by meds, there is no reason Okung cannot be capable of coming back and playing several more years.
              The same thing goes for Pouncey, once he gets rid of the fire in his neck.
              I for one am not throwing away Oline assets, whether highly talented, or just barely capable of developing into journeymen.
              Snaps are worth a great deal.

I remind everyone that the Chargers stated last year, whether we like it or not, that Jonah Williams and Andre Dillard alone wre on their radar as early picks.
              Flash forward to the 2020 Draft. There are two OTs,Andrew Thomas and Dedrick Wills that fit us in early slotting, based upon talent level and scheme fit.
              If there is an early run on OTs, we will draft a different position. Later round offensive linemen will NOT be significantly more impactful than who we already have.
              The experience Pipkens, Qberry and others are getting right now, will lead to something.
              Argue all day. But then watch what happens in April.

Our time is better spent studying Slot WRs who can beat press coverage, and DTs who can augment JJ, Tillery, Bosa and Ingram.
              SFs defensive backfield was terrible last year. Then they draft Nick to complete their defensive front. I digress.
              not his decision, and.... 'tis nothing personal.

he's also got more ailments than just cardiovascular.... toe, shoulder, ankle, groin, etc., and.... save for his year in Denver has missed an avg of four games/year over his time in NFL.

not sure Pouncey will ever be clear of concerns 'round his neck.... ??

snap counts don't win games....

Chargers can and will make statements ad infinitum re: the draft and their picks, and.... their track record on the Oline consists of Pip, Forrest, Dan, Sam, Tuerk, Chris Watt and Fluker.

Jedrick Wills is a (very) questionable gambit @RT, let alone @LT.

and goddess yes to WR, RB or NT early.... CeeDee to free Keenan, and Brown to free up SupaMel and Joey, albeit Epenesa is no Nick (nice shot at a comp tho)

most assuredly there are third rounders in 2020 >> Pip last year, and.... yes to getting good reps outta Trey and Qberry.

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Pouncey has a big meeting with his doctor next week. We'll see.

Everyone is pointing out all these injuries Okung has had,
                wihtout stopping to think that the injuries are a direct result of his cardiovascular situation. Russell tried to come back and help this team, in spite of the fact that he was not in football shape.

Unlike TPB, TT, AL, TT will welcome back these teo talented Olinemen with open arms.

BTW it sounds like many decisions will be finalized right after the Senior Bowl. In the mean time, there is plenty of time for y'all to engage in mindless venting, instead of trying to be smart about our personnel decisions.

Other than groupthink, there is absolutely no reason to be so damn fatalistic. C'mon, you know how methodical our LAC culture is.
                You don't know ball

Comment

• Caslon
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

I'm giving Okung a free pass his latest injury, Guys that big shouldn't have to go chasing after a QB fumbled football.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

If we don't go qb inn the 1st, it better be a an OT. Period.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Caslon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

It's first round QB or nothing as far that position. A second round QB choice and sports writers will write "The next Charger franchise QB?". Despite the Chargers drafting Stick in the 5th round, the media posed the same stupid question...QB of the future for the Chargers?

If the Chargers give away a future draft pick to move up for a QB, I don't see them opening up their new rental with him. That might be committing business suicide as they would have to insert him into the lineup on day one. Having a 2020 QB pick being brought along by the likes of a Tyrod Taylor is just as laughable.

So...they'll retain Rivers with a one year contract (Rivers might go for it)...get a QB day one...and be ready to insert him should Rivers become an Eli Manning. This makes business sense which is the Spanos' MO. It also might make sense for Rivers who wants to not have to move his family. He can take it as a challenge.

If some team from the south indicates interest, he may take it and move there where he came from. So far tho, Rivers and his family are fairly rooted here. His kids have all grown up here and he commutes from San Diego to LA each day.

Horrendous year a given, what are the alternatives? Change for change sakes? What might that bring? Just as worse or more? 4-12? 2-14 with a green QB or Tyrod?

Business suicide if you ask me. And we all know the Spanos' are totally business and putting a competitive NFL team on the field, it that's what you can call it.
                      Last edited by Caslon; 12-31-2019, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                        It's first round QB or nothing as far that position. A second round QB choice and sports writers will write "The next Charger franchise QB?". Despite the Chargers drafting Stick in the 5th round, the media posed the same stupid question...QB of the future for the Chargers?

If the Chargers give away a future draft pick to move up for a QB, I don't see them opening up their new rental with him. That might be committing business suicide as they would have to insert him into the lineup on day one. Having a 2020 QB pick being brought along by the likes of a Tyrod Taylor is just as laughable.

So...they'll retain Rivers with a one year contract (Rivers might go for it)...get a QB day one...and be ready to insert him should Rivers become an Eli Manning. This makes business sense which is the Spanos' MO. It also might make sense for Rivers who wants to not have to move his family. He can take it as a challenge.

If some team from the south indicates interest, he may take it and move there where he came from. So far tho, Rivers and his family are fairly rooted here. His kids have all grown up here and he commutes from San Diego to LA each day.

Horrendous year a given, what are the alternatives? Change for change sakes? What might that bring? Just as worse or more? 4-12? 2-14 with a green QB or Tyrod?

Business suicide if you ask me. And we all know the Spanos' are totally business and putting a competitive NFL team on the field, it that's what you can call it.
                        This is exactly the sort of scenario that scares the shit out of me...that our front office will make an irrational and desperate move in light of our Grand Opening next season...can't reach Burrow, but what if they panic and spend another first to move ahead of Miami to take Tua...who will probably sell a few tickets, name and curiosity alone...before possibly turning into an injury bust? I have a hard time seeing the Chargers having a responsible, team building, but boring draft, considering the big move into the stadium this year...

Hell, I can even understand them wanting to make a big splash, attract some fandom...sell some tickets...but very concerned what these types of moves will mean 3 yrs down the road...
                        The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Caslon
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

Serves the teams owners and GM right that they should fret. They got this team to this point. TT and his big swing and miss this last draft. The Spanos' hoping for the same big swing with their fingers in the pie. Poetic justice fail.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍