• Show
Clear All
  • Kellyb72601
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

New OC Shane Steichen a Norv disciple

This is hilarious to me.

Said Norv gave him his first job here in '11. He went to Cleveland with Norv and still talks to him every day:

Offensive Coordinator Shane Steichen speaks to the media on preparing for the Packers in his new role and what has helped him prepare to be the Bolt's next play caller,

Bring back Norval!!
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Continuity baby!

Comment

• SDBORN
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Full circle the Charger way!

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Im not on the McDaniels train...but he did have to work with Orton and Tebow. Shocked he wasnt more successful with those 2.

And all joking aside id like to think after 10 more years in the league around good coaching....coaches can evolve. Like players do.

I still think the future for us after Rivers will be some sort of version of a mobile QB. A pass first type that can run and make plays. Run the spread and RPOs. Its just mirroring college and trends like this are often set there. Many used to tell me the bellcow runner was done. I stated that Gurley and Gordon would change that. Then you had Zeke and Barkley. McCaffrey. We see more full time RBs in college than ever and i think the trend will still carry over to the pros with high attempt RBs and QBs that can make plays on the run.

And with that it makes sense to have a coach that is offensive minded like that. Thats why i wanted Shannahan so bad. I just like how he utilizes his run game and uses his QB to manage things. If Jimmy could run more im sure that offense would be even better. They dont have much at WR. They play suffocating D....run the ball with multiple backs and use their TEs and intermediate passing game. Tons of misdirection and movement. Down the road i think a guy like Eric Bienemy will get some looks at HC. Hes pretty innovative and has picked up quite a bit from Reid.

They are 2nd in the league in time of possession. Obviously the D helps with that. But they are also averaging 181 yards rushing a game. 2nd in the league. This would have been best for Rivers imo. This type of offense.

While i think steichen will want to air it out....that will be a game flow thing and our D willl likely force us to have to do that. But its possible with his background that we may see a lot more use of our TEs and RBs. And i think thats best for Rivers. It allows him to be more efficient while throwing less. And we can eat clock. In theory at least. The OL makes it hard to do these things.

But the bottom line is that what we are seeing in SF is exactly what i wanted when we hired Lynn. We are a couple trench guys away from having the pieces. A dominating OG and OT would help. Continue to build the DL. Not worry about skill guys right now. Control the lines....control the game.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Let's give the new arrangement at least one game to show what it can or cannot do before we start the condemning, shall we?

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            Let's give the new arrangement at least one game to show what it can or cannot do before we start the condemning, shall we?
            Cue Monty Python gif:

”She’s a witch! Burn her, burn her!”

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Comment

• SDBORN
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                Im not on the McDaniels train...but he did have to work with Orton and Tebow. Shocked he wasnt more successful with those 2.

And all joking aside id like to think after 10 more years in the league around good coaching....coaches can evolve. Like players do.

I still think the future for us after Rivers will be some sort of version of a mobile QB. A pass first type that can run and make plays. Run the spread and RPOs. Its just mirroring college and trends like this are often set there. Many used to tell me the bellcow runner was done. I stated that Gurley and Gordon would change that. Then you had Zeke and Barkley. McCaffrey. We see more full time RBs in college than ever and i think the trend will still carry over to the pros with high attempt RBs and QBs that can make plays on the run.

And with that it makes sense to have a coach that is offensive minded like that. Thats why i wanted Shannahan so bad. I just like how he utilizes his run game and uses his QB to manage things. If Jimmy could run more im sure that offense would be even better. They dont have much at WR. They play suffocating D....run the ball with multiple backs and use their TEs and intermediate passing game. Tons of misdirection and movement. Down the road i think a guy like Eric Bienemy will get some looks at HC. Hes pretty innovative and has picked up quite a bit from Reid.

They are 2nd in the league in time of possession. Obviously the D helps with that. But they are also averaging 181 yards rushing a game. 2nd in the league. This would have been best for Rivers imo. This type of offense.

While i think steichen will want to air it out....that will be a game flow thing and our D willl likely force us to have to do that. But its possible with his background that we may see a lot more use of our TEs and RBs. And i think thats best for Rivers. It allows him to be more efficient while throwing less. And we can eat clock. In theory at least. The OL makes it hard to do these things.

But the bottom line is that what we are seeing in SF is exactly what i wanted when we hired Lynn. We are a couple trench guys away from having the pieces. A dominating OG and OT would help. Continue to build the DL. Not worry about skill guys right now. Control the lines....control the game.
                It's all about the Trench-a-men!

Comment

• SDBORN
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  Rivers like swag with a shade of Dax Shephard

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

I'm not condemning them at all in fact I think it's probably an upgrade. I just think Philip Rivers never really wanted to play for any coach other then Norv and has never wanted to run any system other than Norvs. This move eliminates Wisenhunt and brings 2 Norv disciples together to go back 100% Norval. The following are things I've learned from piecing together bits & pieces of interviews over the years:

1. When Norv was fired and McCoy & Reich brought in they all got together during the offseason with Rivers and created an offense. Rivers was a big contributor into the offense with regards to both scheme & terminology. Rivers knows as much offense as any OC in the league, probably more than most.

2. When Lynn was initially brought in '17 the offense initially struggled until he got his hands out of the offense and gave up more control to Wisenhunt & Rivers.

3. Steichen was also brought in as QB coach in '17. Every week for the last 3 years Steichen has met with Lynn and gone over the passing scheme for that week. In fact in the Tenn game last year the first offensive play was an ~80 yd TD to Tyrell Williams. Lynn said Steichen predicted that play during that meeting and knew it would be a TD.

4. Lynn eventually planned on moving Steichen up to OC anyway. Evidently he really likes Steichen. The struggling offense just gives him a convenient excuse to make the move now. Who knows how much of this was related to Rivers not being on board with what Wisenhunt wanted to do offensively? I imagine that had at least something to do with it.

5. With Wisenhunt out of the picture you bring 2 Norv disciples together with no outside interference. Steichen said he talks to Norv on the phone every day. Rivers learned from Norv & never wanted him gone.

To me that all adds up to Norv may as well still be coaching the football team.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Rivers like swag with a shade of Dax Shephard
                      That's pretty funny because I immediately thought of this after hearing his voice.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

being a disciple isn't the same as being a clone.
                        i'll reserve judgement for the next few games
                        but Steichen knows the pros and cons of the Norv offense
                        I have hope
                        .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                        .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                        .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                        .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                        .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                        .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                        .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                        .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                        .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢