• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

I would’ve thought age would only impact his speed.

It’s pretty incredible how a guy that was supposedly known for his tackling ability has taken on such poor tackling techniques since joining the Chargers. It’s like he forgot to tackle in it’s entirety, not sure I’ve ever seen anything like it.
    Not only is Davis's tackling awful, but his angles and anticipation are very poor, especially considering he's a vet. For example, in the Colts game, when Marlon Mack ran for a 63-yd TD, Davis committed too soon, and got blocked out, instead of staying clean to make the stop. Here's Davis circled in red:

image.png

Mack (blue) hits the lane Davis should have been covering, and takes it to the house.

Comment

• pacstud
      Black Belt Poster
      • Sep 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Not only is Davis's tackling awful, but his angles and anticipation are very poor, especially considering he's a vet. For example, in the Colts game, when Marlon Mack ran for a 63-yd TD, Davis committed too soon, and got blocked out, instead of staying clean to make the stop. Here's Davis circled in red:

image.png

Mack (blue) hits the lane Davis should have been covering, and takes it to the house.
      It's almost like that O-lineman is an NFL caliber player and is paid to block Davis.

I get hating on a guy, but saying "stay clean" is the equivalent of telling a kid that's getting pinned to "get up".

I mean, no shit. But in this case Davis and THE REST OF THE FRONT got blocked.

Comment

• UglyTruth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

It's almost like that O-lineman is an NFL caliber player and is paid to block Davis.

I get hating on a guy, but saying "stay clean" is the equivalent of telling a kid that's getting pinned to "get up".

I mean, no shit. But in this case Davis and THE REST OF THE FRONT got blocked.
        Davis ranks #3 in the NFL in missed tackles. I get that you have a weird thing where you think coaches and players should never be criticized but only praised but Thomas Davis absolutely blows.
        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• pacstud
          Black Belt Poster
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Davis ranks #3 in the NFL in missed tackles. I get that you have a weird thing where you think coaches and players should never be criticized but only praised but Thomas Davis absolutely blows.
          Davis has been shit at tackling. That's fair and at no point did I dispute that point.

Saying he shouldn't get blocked, well that's also part of his job, though defenders do get blocked.

When the whole front is getting their ass handed to them on a play and ONE guy is the scapegoat? That's shit posting and deserving of a call out.

Sorry for the weirdness.

Don't criticize coaches and players if you can't handle some yourself when people call out shit posting, seems simple enough.

Go Bolts!

Comment

• UglyTruth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2018
            • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

Davis has been shit at tackling. That's fair and at no point did I dispute that point.

Saying he shouldn't get blocked, well that's also part of his job, though defenders do get blocked.

When the whole front is getting their ass handed to them on a play and ONE guy is the scapegoat? That's shit posting and deserving of a call out.

Sorry for the weirdness.

Don't criticize coaches and players if you can't handle some yourself when people call out shit posting, seems simple enough.

Go Bolts!
            I don't care about that one play, that's bound to happen. But him missing several tackles on a weekly basis is the issue. He makes the DL look bad because they actually occupy the OL (not on this specific play but others) giving Davis the free reign to the ball carrier and he continues to whiff.
            Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
            - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
            - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
            - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
            - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
            - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
            - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

Working...
            X