• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

As far as benching Rivers today for Tyrod.

Lynn won't have to if Rivers plays smart situational football. And does a better job of finding the open grass and getting the football out.

Lynn said as much.
    Stay aggressive but make smart decisions.

If Rivers can get in a zone, he can be player of the week. I hope he isnt completely out of gas and looking at retirement in the back of his mind. Back against the wall. Run the table Philip. 2009 Style.

Also, I really hope Rivers and team Do Not turtle up and ground the air attack.

In fact I think it make sense to go some no huddle early and pass, pass, pass on 1st downs with lots of motion misdirection, trips and natural rub routes. Try to get your best players in favorable match ups early and often. And let Philip stack completions. Let him get the ball out quick and into play maker hands.

Don't turtle up. If your going to do that. Might as well play Taylor and do lots of QB runs.

My problem is.
    I want Joe Burrow.
    Rivers is not the furture.
    If Rivers gets hot these final 5 games. Instead of being 4-12, 5-11, 6-10 and a chance to move up to #1.
    They could be 8-8 or 9-7 and the QBs are probably are out of reach.

But, if Rivers can drag this team to playoffs after some of his worst football. That would be really fun football entertainment. Rivers stacking 5 wins in a row and walking off the field shaking his head talking smack.... I'm not done yet!
    That would be fun to see.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sb4Rivers View Post
      Something is very wrong with Chargers. From Top Down. If Rivers wanted to stay that contract would have been done. Now they want to Bench him. Classic chargers meltdown and huge fumble in FO with Rivers career.

When was the last time the fired A coach in season? What did whiz do that was so bad to be fired in season? after chargers brought him back for second time.
      Whiz and Rivers could not make the offense better this season why?
      The defense drafts a DT in first rd and has only had a few good games! why?

we have plenty of talent, overall game plan has been poor for a long time....
      I posited a long time ago that Rivers may have told LAC this is it...2019 & done.

Who knows ?

But yeah something is wrong.

I got a strange vibe when Phil traipsed up to the podium with his youngest.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm with u, Critty. It's not hatred, it's the extreme frustration of watching a team like the Bolts, with ALL that talent, just being squandered away due to a combination, over the years, of poor drafting, lack of trades, poor FA signings (though some were good), at times poor playcalling and coaching, and at times, poor decisions made by some of our players.
        This team isn't as talented as we think. Especially when starters go down. Going from Derwin to Teamer and Okung to Scott is like eating food prepped by Bobby Flay to someone from Worst Cooks in America.

11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
        181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
        225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st ➡️ 253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

I'm not a big fan of analytics. Wasn't it analytics that caused Orlando Brown Jr. to tumble from the 1st round into the 3rd round...?

If teams use analytics, they should use it to target position groups. Every year, there are deep/shallow position groups. Whereas, you can get a 2nd round talent in the 3rd or 4th round because the position group is so deep. This year, I think the deep groups are: RB, WR, and CB. Knowing this, I wouldn't draft these positions early. Typically, 1st and 2nd rounders become starters... with 3rd and 4th rounders becoming quality depth. What if you're finding 4 starters every draft because you're targeting deep positions in 3rd/4th/5th rounds...?

Example: EDGE was one of the deep positions last year. Maxx Crosby was a guy the Raiders got in the 4th round. Raiders also got WR Hunter Renfro in the 5th round. WR was another deep group last year. Browns got Mack Wilson in the 5th. Jets got Blake Cashman in the 5th... LB was a deep group.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Boltnut
            I'm not sure what analytics said about those players you mention. But now I'm curious.

A took a moment to see what the Crosby analysis was pre-draft.

Seems like he got a lot of credit for burst, hand activity, length, effort level, snap timing. And it was mentioned that his testing suggested he has bend and turn. I think the 4th rd may have been because he was from Eastern Michigan, so level of competition he did it against dropped him down.

The combine performance was very good.

The defensive end, who had just one NCAA offer out of high school, is expected to hear his name called this weekend at the NFL draft.

But much more important, the on field analytics were very favorable for Maxx.

Grading all of the FBS, including Power 5 and non-Power 5 teams, Crosby hasn’t flown under the radar here at PFF; he’s done quite the opposite. Among the 142 FBS edge defenders with at least 800 snaps over the past two seasons (2017-18), Crosby ranked fifth in overall grade (91.7), second in run-defense grade (91.2) and 11th in pass-rush grade (90.0).

Seems like Mayock may have had the guts to trust the analytics to say we are drafting this kid.
            I don't know. Maybe he did not use them.

And took a look at Orlando Brown.
            His on field analytics were very good.
            Pass protection rate was 90%. And he recorded the most hits on pull trap blocks of any tackle in the draft. Then he had the horrible combine and it dropped his status. But the combine numbers didn't change how large the man was or change his success rate on the field. So Newsome does it again. Just a very smart drafter. But even the Ravens waited until the 3rd rd #83 overall.

So, seem like these players got drafted about where teams were comfortable using picks.

Brown had combine flag.
            Crosby had level of competition flag.

But Neither had a on field performance flag. They were rated very high there. Which should always be the most important of analytics.

There is also things like how much does this kid love football and have a want to be great mentality. I don't know how analytics can be applied here, but if there is for these traits, I would look at what it says.

I wonder where Chargers had them on their board.

Last edited by Critty; 12-01-2019, 12:37 PM.
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Typed Taylor or Stickman next week?

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                Typed Taylor or Stickman next week?
                Might as well throw Stick out there for the rest of the year now that we're done.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Stick must start the rest of our games.

We must not risk injury to our franchise QB.

:chuckle:
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    Stick must start the rest of our games.

We must not risk injury to our franchise QB.

:chuckle:
                    LOL...let Tyrod play first half, Stick second half...

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

the donks were done and yet we lose.
                      could we have beat a dead horse today with Stick?
                      :deadhorse:
                      only football deities of the aether know for certain

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Gwynning_Spirit View Post
                        the donks were done and yet we lose.
                        could we have beat a dead horse today with Stick?
                        :deadhorse:
                        only football deities of the aether know for certain
                        Stick probably would have scrambled to gain some positive yardage, maybe even a first down, on that play when Rivers turtled up for a sack to put us out of figgie range. That's the game right there, among other issues...

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Oh man... Just stop It.

Comment

Working...
                          X