Clear All
  • Midwestbolt
    • Feb 2019
    • Midwest
    • Local 150 operating engineer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
    never played the game so forgive my ignorance:

Is progression read short to long? If so then Henry should have been 1st read, which would negate the pass rush and swiss cheese O-line.
    I would say it depends on the play/route combinations called?

I would also venture to guess PR is good enough to see what the defense is showing pre-snap, and make a pretty good guess to who should be the "first" read - even if that isn't technically the play calls 1st read.

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
      never played the game so forgive my ignorance:

Is progression read short to long? If so then Henry should have been 1st read, which would negate the pass rush and swiss cheese O-line.
      It all depends on the play call. If you draw up a play and it is designed to try a long pass then it would be long to short but that is really general. As I said I have no idea of the plays and design for the Chargers but when you draw up a play often there is a #1 option but as soon as you get to the line and look at the defense the #1 can change on a dime. You see a LB on HH and he becomes the number one. The point I am making is and I am just throwing it out there but your reads are based on what the defense is showing. You can look at the field but your reads are also dictated by the pass rush. You have clock in your head and nights like that game the clock is running very fast and when it is running fast all night it is hard to dial it back when there is good blocking, the clock is still running fast in your head. So to make a log story longer, the answer to your question is there is no set read progression. Then with audibles it changes everything again, just think you have a couple of seconds to scan the entire football field and make your decision. With the pressure the Raiders were putting on you just can't go through your entire read, that leads to missing open guys sometimes unfortunately.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Midwestbolt View Post

I would say it depends on the play/route combinations called?

I would also venture to guess PR is good enough to see what the defense is showing pre-snap, and make a pretty good guess to who should be the "first" read - even if that isn't technically the play calls 1st read.
        Very true but this all changes in a situation like the end of the game. He does not have the time to survey the field and call the perfect play to take advantage of the defense. They probably have several plays called in advance he goes to the line and gives a signal to select one of them. It is a totally different animal than say mid third quarter and lots of time on the clock.

Comment

Working...
        X