The Bogart's Experience at Dignity Sports Park-Anyone been there, done that?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    Badges?....
    Yep...classic...

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Gwynning_Spirit View Post
      The African Queen tops my Bogart experience
      Heck yeah, I put that up there with "Casablanca" and "The Maltese Falcon."

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Both of those are great films, it's just that my personal favorite is "Treasure of the Sierra Madre." The way Bogie goes crazy at the end--and the theme of placing a higher value on riches than human life and happiness--true food for thought, and great acting...
        "Madre" is too depressing for me. Same with "In a Lonely Place." Have you ever seen "Petrified Forest," the film that made Bogie into a star? Another film I like is "Dark Passage," a Bogie and Bacall movie - entirely set in San Francisco with some great shots of the city in the '40s.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

with the proverbial fork now firmly stuck into the charger season, i predict this bogey thread to take on steam.

Image result for humphrey bogart smiling

Comment

• Bolts54
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2019
            • Send PM

Gotta be "Treasure of Sierra Madre" due to the message that is just like the Chargers' season- In the film, these guys pile up an array of riches only to find a way to lose it, and then decide they are no worse off than when they started. The Chargers-entered 2019 with a ton of talent and a weak schedule, found a way to choke it away, and now they are back to 1998 and putting all their faith in the QB of the future. Of course, Madre ended on the note the treasure hunters would be fine after all. Not sure if we can say that about the Chargers.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I have a bunch of Bogie films on my Tivo waiting to be watched.

But Casablanca and African Queen , they're the best.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts54 View Post
                Gotta be "Treasure of Sierra Madre" due to the message that is just like the Chargers' season- In the film, these guys pile up an array of riches only to find a way to lose it, and then decide they are no worse off than when they started. The Chargers-entered 2019 with a ton of talent and a weak schedule, found a way to choke it away, and now they are back to 1998 and putting all their faith in the QB of the future. Of course, Madre ended on the note the treasure hunters would be fine after all. Not sure if we can say that about the Chargers.
                Interesting how you draw a metaphor between Bogie films and the Bolts. How about this:

"The Petrified Forest"--This is our O-line, standing there like a bunch of statues while speedy rushers blow by them...
                "The Maltese Falcon"--This is the Super Bowl trophy, out of the Chargers' grasp until now...for now, it's "the stuff dreams are made of..."
                "To Have and Have Not"--To have a good team one year, an awful team the next...
                "Dark Passage"--Those terrible losing streaks we inevitably go through...
                "Casablanca"--"I'm shocked--shocked--to hear that the Chargers lost another winnable game again."
                "The Caine Mutiny"--When your star running back sits out the preseason and several regular season games, lets his team down, and drives our Captain crazy...
                "The African Queen"--fighting through the jungle of another losing season only to have it all blow up in their faces at the end...
                "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"--no matter how hard the Bolts try, they seem to watch their super bowl hopes disappear year after year, just like the gold gets blown away by the wind at the end of the movie...
                ...and finally...
                "Sahara"--the ultimate TANK movie...
                Last edited by Topcat; 11-25-2019, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Interesting how you draw a metaphor between Bogie films and the Bolts. How about this:

"The Petrified Forest"--This is our O-line, standing there like a bunch of statues while speedy rushers blow by them...
                  "The Maltese Falcon"--This is the Super Bowl trophy, out of the Chargers' grasp until now...for now, it's "the stuff dreams are made of..."
                  "Casablanca"--"I'm shocked--shocked--to hear that the Chargers lost another winnable game again."
                  "The Caine Mutiny"--When your star running back sits out the preseason and several regular season games, lets his team down, and drives our Captain crazy...
                  "The African Queen"--fighting through the jungle of another losing season only to have it all blow up in their faces at the end...
                  "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"--no matter how hard the Bolts try, they seem to watch their super bowl hopes disappear year after year, just like the gold gets blown away by the wind at the end of the movie...
                  ...and finally...
                  I'm surprised at how this thread is struggling to survive.

I have an entirely different interpretation Topcat. Fred C Dobbs is an AJ Smith type figure; the unbelievable riches was all the talent that team assembled. They just had to keep it together to get back to Durango (err the Super Bow) and cash in, but all the infighting and paranoia started up and the bandoleros (The Patriots) were able to take advantage of the situation.

I did like how justice was meted out in the end: the Bill Belichick figure was shot by the firing squad.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'm surprised at how this thread is struggling to survive.

I have an entirely different interpretation Topcat. Fred C Dobbs is an AJ Smith type figure; the unbelievable riches was all the talent that team assembled. They just had to keep it together to get back to Durango (err the Super Bow) and cash in, but all the infighting and paranoia started up and the bandoleros (The Patriots) were able to take advantage of the situation.

I did like how justice was meted out in the end: the Bill Belichick figure was shot by the firing squad.
                    Interesting analogy there, Powder, with Dobbs=AJ. Better yet, how about Dobbs = Spanos?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Interesting analogy there, Powder, with Dobbs=AJ. Better yet, how about Dobbs = Spanos?
                      This decade's Chargers? Dobsie as Dean Spanos? Paranoia stemming from an inferiority complex justifying greed and wrongheadedness?

Nah!

Comment

• Bolts54
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2019
                        • Send PM

The Petrified Forest"--This is our O-line, standing there like a bunch of statues while speedy rushers blow by them...
                        ...and finally...
                        WELL DONE!! Of course, one day it could be the mayor of London saying "Mr Spanos,I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts54 View Post

WELL DONE!! Of course, one day it could be the mayor of London saying "Mr Spanos,I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
                          LOL...classic! Well done, 54! If the Bolts move to London, they could then sign Kaep, because he probably won't kneel down for the British national anthem...

Comment

Working...
                          X