Chargers/Chiefs Fiesta @ Azteca GDT (Wk11)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think it's more decision making and mechanics due to pressure (or perceived pressure at times). That long pass to Williams on the last drive was a thing of beauty and perfectly placed - plenty of arm strength. But there are too many hurried throws where he seems to have poor footwork. It's not like Manning at the end in Denver where he had to wind up to pass the ball 20 yards downfield.
    After the 2012 season, fans were clamoring about how Rivers lost his arm strength and couldn't throw the 'long ball' anymore
    I went back and looked at his previous seasons, and noticed how on long throws his footwork was different.

The bad Oline of 2012 made him speed things up.

Comment

• jubei
      Vagabond Ninja
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

I believe the one that hit Honey Badger in the chest was also elbow hit by the D. A punt would have went just as far a down later I don't mind on third down going for a homerun because if caught great, if picked it's the same result as what would have been the following down.
      my way of thinking on the "INT as a punt" is you do that on 4th down, not on 3rd down...unless I got the down wrong when he threw that "INT as a punt". If you still have a chance to go for somehting more sure you go for it on 3rd down. On 4th down is when you might take that long risky shot. Of course this is all predicated on it being 3rd down when he threw that "INT as a punt" pass. But if it was actually 4th down then I dont mind that INT as much...it's a punt with no return.

Comment

• pacstud
        Black Belt Poster
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

my way of thinking on the "INT as a punt" is you do that on 4th down, not on 3rd down...unless I got the down wrong when he threw that "INT as a punt". If you still have a chance to go for somehting more sure you go for it on 3rd down. On 4th down is when you might take that long risky shot. Of course this is all predicated on it being 3rd down when he threw that "INT as a punt" pass. But if it was actually 4th down then I dont mind that INT as much...it's a punt with no return.
        Generally DBs know not to catch a (deep) pass attempt on 4th down.

An int on 3rd down can be considered a "punt" in that if it's incomplete, you're punting anyway.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

Generally DBs know not to catch a (deep) pass attempt on 4th down.

An int on 3rd down can be considered a "punt" in that if it's incomplete, you're punting anyway.
          tell that to marlon freakin-mccree! so you give up a down instead of trying for something a bit more secure? and going to patton of all players?

Comment

• pacstud
            Black Belt Poster
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

tell that to marlon freakin-mccree! so you give up a down instead of trying for something a bit more secure? and going to patton of all players?
            McCree did not intercept on 4th down, he simply failed to get down on an INT with a lead late.

We did not give up a down. Rivers pushed the ball deep middle to Patton. He underthrew him (imo). On third and long.

Comment

• BearWithJetpack
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

McCree did not intercept on 4th down, he simply failed to get down on an INT with a lead late.

We did not give up a down. Rivers pushed the ball deep middle to Patton. He underthrew him (imo). On third and long.
              But the McCree interception happened on 4th and 5?

Comment

• pacstud
                Black Belt Poster
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BearWithJetpack View Post

If so (I have PTSD and blocked it out), then it would depend on if he thought he could house it. We know he couldn't.

Just happened to my team last year. Up 7, last minute, other team throws a pick. Kids are waving "go down"...he houses it.

Sure.

Bottom line, the "good as a punt" would hold on Rivers INT in that particular instance.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                  Superbowl?
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Los Angeles/Chicago
                  • Send PM

My point is there is nothing wrong with throwing an INT on 3rd and long if you are going to be punting on the following down for the same distance anyways. I get that you think if it's 3rd and 10 to go for 10 yards when the D is playing to stop 10 yards. My thinking is occasionally you can go for a homerun bomb, if not in that situation then when? Teams go for homeruns once or twice a game and you are upset that the Chargers just like every other team went for a homerun? If the WR couldn't catch it, it would of been the same result as a punt. Get my position now?

Comment

• SuperCharged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Utah
                    • Midnight Toker
                    • Send PM

LOL yes he did. It was 4th and 5.

Comment

• jubei
                      Vagabond Ninja
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post

LOL yes he did. It was 4th and 5.
                      so many moons ago I dont remember. so he made TWO mistakes in one play?! and he even said he'd do that again except protect the ball better! numbskull!

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

so many moons ago I dont remember. so he made TWO mistakes in one play?! and he even said he'd do that again except protect the ball better! numbskull!
                        As happens so often, a player wants to continue being macho and not get ribbed in the locker room after the game for playing it so humorously safe.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BearWithJetpack View Post

Yeah, it was 4rth down on the Charger 42 yard line. McCree intercepted the ball some 25 yards down field.
                          :anchorjump:

Comment

Working...
                          X