Telesco Needs To Be Relieved Of Duties..

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by foreigner View Post
    We are a soft team Hupperdoo.... with a soft owner and a soft GM...... I don't mind being well behaved and church goers... I do mind when we have a soft attitude tho....

Can you spot the difference between these two personalities: Tom Telesco and Marty S.? Both well behaved and probably Church Goers.. but oh boy what a different attitude they project....
    I don't think Marty had a bunch of church goers so to speak. But he seemed to have a knack for getting tough players and inspiring them perform.

Most likely the day of the hard hitting defensive players is over(the Jack Tatums, Rodney Harrisons etc)...to protect players and also because of penalties. I think Telesco has drafted good enough players to win. I like what he did with the OL this year. In hindsight no GM is perfect. I think the most important component is the head coach and staff. And the jury is still out on Staley.

Staley is a "modern" coach aka Sean McVay Kliff Kingsbury. I am willing to give him a few years before I start to dislike him if there is a lack of results.

I would like to see more emphasis on the run the way Lynn did. Just think it toughens up the team.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Our problem is we think of this like fans. We want to win a superbowl. Given a reasonable amount of time, our GM has not done that. So we want to move on to try to find someone who maybe can.

Owners think of this like a business (unless they are so very, very rich that they can think like fans as we do). Of course they want to win a superbowl. Every owner does. But they also want to fill seats and sell merchandise and get good sponsorship deals and get concessions from local politicians, etc in order to wring out as much money as they can. They all do. It's why a beer is 16.50 at a stadium and its $75 to park.

So does the GM pick players who are popular so fans will buy their crap? If he does, then that is pretty important. Is the product on the field good enough to sell seats? If it is sufficient to fill the seats, that is pretty important. A team that is constantly on the cusp of a superbowl (think Coryell Chargers or Marty ones) builds a more lasting revenue base than one that wins a superbowl and flames out. Do you want to run a business where you fire your COO every five years if you don't have the most market share for your product? What kind of culture is established by firing your GM or HC if they dont produce a superbowl in (fill in the blank) years? The Browns were classic here - hiring and firing head coaches and GMs like they were drunken sailors. I think owners all want to be like the Steelers and Patriots and just keep the same leaders all the time. I can tell you from running a business it is not that easy from a human standpoint to fire people all the time. Sounds easier than it is and the owners are humans. Greedy humans, but still humans. I know none of you are advocating firing the GM every 2 years, just pointing out the other side of this stuff. And the Spanoses are not as rich as the other NFL owners and they have a family culture so firing people is even more difficult.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

As in any job results matter.By looking at our record during his tenure TT is not doing his job.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          Our problem is we think of this like fans. We want to win a superbowl. Given a reasonable amount of time, our GM has not done that. So we want to move on to try to find someone who maybe can.

Owners think of this like a business (unless they are so very, very rich that they can think like fans as we do). Of course they want to win a superbowl. Every owner does. But they also want to fill seats and sell merchandise and get good sponsorship deals and get concessions from local politicians, etc in order to wring out as much money as they can. They all do. It's why a beer is 16.50 at a stadium and its $75 to park.

So does the GM pick players who are popular so fans will buy their crap? If he does, then that is pretty important. Is the product on the field good enough to sell seats? If it is sufficient to fill the seats, that is pretty important. A team that is constantly on the cusp of a superbowl (think Coryell Chargers or Marty ones) builds a more lasting revenue base than one that wins a superbowl and flames out. Do you want to run a business where you fire your COO every five years if you don't have the most market share for your product? What kind of culture is established by firing your GM or HC if they dont produce a superbowl in (fill in the blank) years? The Browns were classic here - hiring and firing head coaches and GMs like they were drunken sailors. I think owners all want to be like the Steelers and Patriots and just keep the same leaders all the time. I can tell you from running a business it is not that easy from a human standpoint to fire people all the time. Sounds easier than it is and the owners are humans. Greedy humans, but still humans. I know none of you are advocating firing the GM every 2 years, just pointing out the other side of this stuff. And the Spanoses are not as rich as the other NFL owners and they have a family culture so firing people is even more difficult.

TG
          I think a very well thought out post. And you are correct, teams should not be firing GMs and HCs as like you said, that is how Cleveland became the Factory of Sadness

Your other point about the Spanos's and their money - that is valid. I bring up Kroenke and the Rams but he can afford to maximize his cap with cash. Every team has to be "under the cap" but some teams pay out more cash and use "accounting" to fit under the cap. The Chargers historically spend to the cap - but they are not the Saints or Rams pushing cap to the extremes year over year (though the next couple, the Chargers should be more aggressive I would think with Herbert still very cheap)

With respect to Telesco - besides record, two constants have been OL and Special Teams and what he is doing is not working. So maybe his philosophy or talent evaluation is not correct and what is he doing to change that. Trading up in the draft hasn;'t work well . But he won't trade at the trade deadline. There are multiple ways to acquire talent - is he using all his resources and does he even have the ability too because of the lack of cash from ownership.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
            As in any job results matter.By looking at our record during his tenure TT is not doing his job.
            9-7
            9-7
            4-12
            5-11
            9-7
            12-4
            5-11
            7-9
            5-4

He should not get a decade at the job with no Division titles and only 2 playoff wins.

And he had Franchise QB Rivers & now Herbert.

So the hardest part of constructing a roster is having a franchise caliber QB.

He inherited the 1st QB.
            Drafted the second one by default when he is Picking #6 and needing a QB because Rivers was now gone. So that was a no brainer. If he really knew Herbert was the man, waiting for him to fall to 6th is just bad GM work. You go get your guy. Seems like they didn't have a guy and were going take whoever was left at #6. No genius stuff there.

He O-line construction resulted in the worst O-line in all of football last year.

His team develops players like Adrian Philips or Hunter Henry as quality starters and then let's them leave in free agency creating holes to fix.

His record at construction of special teams has got to be the worst in the league.

I just don't see anything on Telesco Chargers resume that makes me think the next decade would be any different. He already showed us what he can accomplish with a franchise QB Rivers. Nothing. Nada.
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
              Good post and valid points.

Players and coaches do NOT think like fans. Fans are fickle and just want instant results whether it be from a rookie 2nd 3rd 4th or 6th rounder and if they dont produce as rookies, well hell they are a bust.

Thats the fans mentality.

Coaches know it takes time and some players (rookies) get it faster and adapt faster. It dont mean players are a bust. It is frustrating that Murray isnt balling out since he looked so good late last year but then we changed everything this year.

The offense is a little more complex but dammit, Herbert and the WRs were great last year, why arent you better this year? We have a better OL this year so why arent we scoring 10 points more a game?. ....till we suffer injuries as we have on the right side with weak depth.

I put more trust in the coaches, try to ignore fickle fans and those writing blogs who know nothing but posters keep pasting them here like they mean something. Things will get better and we need better and more fitting personel on defense. We are now mostly using guys that fit Gus' defense that he asked for. I loved Perryman but he was hurt all the time and missed 6 to 8 games yearly.

But look....Telesco has had 9 years. Not sure which HCs he fully got to hire. Id say maybe this one (Staley). But he still has been drafting and building this roster. If by year 10 if we arent playoff bound going deep, he needs to go but id guess he wont go till Staley fails and then both will. Im hoping Staley does not fail.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

We suffered injuries on the right side of the o line like every fickle fan KNEW we would.This season is TTs creation.He must be held accountable at some point.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

9-7
                  9-7
                  4-12
                  5-11
                  9-7
                  12-4
                  5-11
                  7-9
                  5-4

He should not get a decade at the job with no Division titles and only 2 playoff wins.

And he had Franchise QB Rivers & now Herbert.

So the hardest part of constructing a roster is having a franchise caliber QB.

He inherited the 1st QB.
                  Drafted the second one by default when he is Picking #6 and needing a QB because Rivers was now gone. So that was a no brainer. If he really knew Herbert was the man, waiting for him to fall to 6th is just bad GM work. You go get your guy. Seems like they didn't have a guy and were going take whoever was left at #6. No genius stuff there.

He O-line construction resulted in the worst O-line in all of football last year.

His team develops players like Adrian Philips or Hunter Henry as quality starters and then let's them leave in free agency creating holes to fix.

His record at construction of special teams has got to be the worst in the league.

I just don't see anything on Telesco Chargers resume that makes me think the next decade would be any different. He already showed us what he can accomplish with a franchise QB Rivers. Nothing. Nada.
                  +1

I will be hopeful with draft capital and cap space. But realistically - he will still be making the decisions

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                    We suffered injuries on the right side of the o line like every fickle fan KNEW we would.This sesson is TTs creation.He must be held accountable at some point.
                    Right...and they didnt get adequate depth, i agree. Thats where id like to see him make a trade or two for RT and IDL. Just has never done it. Bulaga he had to know was damaged goods from last year.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Oklahoma
                      • Send PM

I think it is time for him to go at season's end. He has had a franchise QB every year and failed at putting a good O Line in front of him.
                      Would like to know: How many GMs were given a tenth season being under 500 with only 2 playoff appearances?
                      I am guessing very few if any.
                      It's a given the new GM has to approve of Staley. Let the head coach have some influence on who the new GM will be.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                        I think it is time for him to go at season's end. He has had a franchise QB every year and failed at putting a good O Line in front of him.
                        Would like to know: How many GMs were given a tenth season being under 500 with only 2 playoff appearances?
                        I am guessing very few if any.
                        It's a given the new GM has to approve of Staley. Let the head coach have some influence on who the new GM will be.
                        Look at the Patriots - they rebuilt this offseason with free agency and the draft. Chargers could do the same with the right GM

It is possible to sign a bunch of players and fit them under the cap - but again its signing the RIGHT players. Not everybody they signed broke the bank - a good mixture

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Look at the Patriots - they rebuilt this offseason with free agency and the draft. Chargers could do the same with the right GM

It is possible to sign a bunch of players and fit them under the cap - but again its signing the RIGHT players. Not everybody they signed broke the bank - a good mixture
                          Technically it was a 2 year rebuild that failed with Cam at QB last year.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍