Telesco Needs To Be Relieved Of Duties..

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Dont need graphs and news articles Lol.We have a losing record under Telescope and its creeping on a decade.Time to move on.Demand better!
    Yep...don't need those graphs...ridiculous how some people keep posting these...look, here's a graph showing TT's losing seasons:

chargers record.JPG

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...don't need those graphs...ridiculous how some people keep posting these...look, here's a graph showing TT's losing seasons:

chargers record.JPG
      winning % of 46%
      this is his 9th year the sample size is not small
      third head ball coach

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

I think Telesco stays because John boy wants to meddle as much as possible with player selection and a strong competent GM would resist this.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I would just fire TT and tell the new GM - Staley is our coach for at least three more years - if you don't like it - -don't take the job.

This idea that a GM needs to hire his person is BS.
          Really.

So, clearly, based on the reasoning above, good GM's are a dime a dozen? TT was considered one of the top GM prospects back in the day, FWIW.

If they aren't, why would a premium position in the top sports league in the world, rely on a middle manager (HC is a middle manager no matter how you look at it) making all the decisions on game day that he may or may not agree with philosophically?

Since so many GM only get one shot at the GM position (at least unless they have extended success), there is no way I would take a job as a GM unless I had total control. It is basically your one and only shot at it, so you would almost have to want to do it your way.

Plus, the Chargers GM job is (probably) pretty low on the premium job thing because of the Spanos clan. The only thing it really has going for it right now is Bosa and Herbert.

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

We need a new GM as TT has built a losing team with a crappy record for 9 years.Close to a decade is long enough in any position in any job to prove you are capable or not.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Really.

So, clearly, based on the reasoning above, good GM's are a dime a dozen? TT was considered one of the top GM prospects back in the day, FWIW.

If they aren't, why would a premium position in the top sports league in the world, rely on a middle manager (HC is a middle manager no matter how you look at it) making all the decisions on game day that he may or may not agree with philosophically?

Since so many GM only get one shot at the GM position (at least unless they have extended success), there is no way I would take a job as a GM unless I had total control. It is basically your one and only shot at it, so you would almost have to want to do it your way.

Plus, the Chargers GM job is (probably) pretty low on the premium job thing because of the Spanos clan. The only thing it really has going for it right now is Bosa and Herbert.
              Tommy Polian has been on the job in the NFL 25 years
              he was a top candidate - but he has not produced

if the team doesn't make the playoffs - I think he should be fired. Period

The Chargers job is pretty good for an incoming GM -
              Franchise QB - check
              Good Pass Rusher - check
              Derwin James - check
              OLine - could use some players

Cap space - a lot
              draft picks - good amount

I understand a GM would want their own coach but a good GM (Riddick or Jeremiah ) would see the value of Staley and probably want him as coach.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                We need a new GM as TT has built a losing team with a crappy record for 9 years.Close to a decade is long enough in any position in any job to prove you are capable or not.
                9 years with the Chargers
                15 years before that in the NFL
                Intern with the Bills from 91-94
                Scouting Assistant after college
                Full time Scout with the Panthers in 1997

The guy has been around the NFL for 30 flipping years
                he is NOT GOOD at his job
                Period!

There are people on this board who if given 30 years experience who would do better than that guy

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I'm not necessarily in favor of keeping TT. He has kinda run his course.

However, I think the expectations are hugely unrealistic. It is more than just the GM that gets talent. If you go down the lists of SB winners, it is "usually" a team with a good/great GM and a good/great HC, and most of the wins go to teams that stay together for extended periods. And many of the teams that win a SB often has a premiere draft a couple of years before their SB run.

To me that suggests it is a collaboration between getting and developing talent, and while TT is probably not the right guy (based on his track record), just changing the GM is almost certainly, by itself, not fix what is wrong with the Chargers.

Another point on the development of player. The Chargers 2003 UDFA class had Dielman, Gates, Cooper, and Osgood (all pro bowl caliber players in time), and Cesaire was a quality DL for a number of years. None was very good during their rookie season. Gates has been quoted as saying he didn't even deserve to be on the roster at that point. We have had others like Adrian Phillips and Malcolm Floyd, who were one-dimensional players who eventually developed enough to be quality players at their positions, along with another Charger UDFA who went on greatness with other teams in Wes Welker.

The point is that I think coaching has a lot to do with how players develop, and since Marty, we really haven't had a coach who has been good at developing players. Clearly, using Marty as an example makes it clear that it takes more than just good fundamentals to develop a roster, but Marty was the king at developing player fundamentals, something the Chargers (and almost all of the NFL) are severely lacking these days.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Tommy Polian has been on the job in the NFL 25 years
                    he was a top candidate - but he has not produced

if the team doesn't make the playoffs - I think he should be fired. Period

The Chargers job is pretty good for an incoming GM -
                    Franchise QB - check
                    Good Pass Rusher - check
                    Derwin James - check
                    OLine - could use some players

Cap space - a lot
                    draft picks - good amount

I understand a GM would want their own coach but a good GM (Riddick or Jeremiah ) would see the value of Staley and probably want him as coach.
                    What makes you think those guys are ready to be a GM?

IF and thats a big IF.....John Boy or Dean, do things the same.....the scouting department is the same ,,.......lets say everything is the same except for bringing in one of those guys with no kind of GM experience at all, what will change?

Because Jeremiah was a scout and he can tell those other people to F off and this is who he is picking? Will it work that way? Telesco didnt even get to hire his first HC because he was a new GM so they brought in a consultant. What does Riddick bring to the table?

Do you think things will be different or are you just asking for a change.......that may not b a change.

Unless they let our GM do things his way, pick the players , etc....nothing will change. Who knows beyond a reasonable doubt that they let Telesco do that? Does Popper even know that answer? Not sure he does.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

So what is the alternative?Keep TT and just hope and pray him and these scouts suddenly figure out how to build a good,solid team finally?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

What makes you think those guys are ready to be a GM?

IF and thats a big IF.....John Boy or Dean, do things the same.....the scouting department is the same ,,.......lets say everything is the same except for bringing in one of those guys with no kind of GM experience at all, what will change?

Because Jeremiah was a scout and he can tell those other people to F off and this is who he is picking? Will it work that way? Telesco didnt even get to hire his first HC because he was a new GM so they brought in a consultant. What does Riddick bring to the table?

Do you think things will be different or are you just asking for a change.......that may not b a change.

Unless they let our GM do things his way, pick the players , etc....nothing will change. Who knows beyond a reasonable doubt that they let Telesco do that? Does Popper even know that answer? Not sure he does.
                        Have you ever heard Louis Riddick talk about the NFL - he is very good? Have you read his background? He has a strong scouting background.

I understand what you are saying about John and the Spanii in the room - thats an issue. So maybe its the Spanii picking the players so a new GM won't matter

But I do know this - Telesco is not good at his job so I am looking for change though you make an astute point - change in name only might not be true, change. But keeping TT this offseason -the team has never had this kind of cap space and decent draft capital - I don't trust Telesco to use it correctly.

Jeremiah - have only listened to him - but he has been a scout for many years before he went into TV

Comment

• BoltMan_28
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                          I think Telesco stays because John boy wants to meddle as much as possible with player selection and a strong competent GM would resist this.
                          This is my biggest fear to be true and as to why we overdraft and reach. The Spanos clan love their yes men

Comment

Working...
                          X