POLL: Classic Charger Choke: Who Is Most Responsible?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Lead the trend. Then when everyone follows.
    Leave them behind and start a new trend.
    Trend setter philosophy. Is that a thing?
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      I would think if the trend in the league shifted to pass pass run. Then the adjustment would happen to slow that down. And then it would shift back to running more on early downs

So, could it be useful to always buck the trend.
      If current trend is rush on 1st even against 8 or 9 man fronts. Can a staff adopt we are going to be a counter culture team. We are passing much much more on early downs, especially if the opponent is in base and 8 man front.

And then if trend in league is pass happy and team adjust to defend the pass on early downs because of the trend. Then counter culture, smash with the run on early downs, especially vs 7 man fronts.

To do this I am thinking multiple TEs that can block and receive at high level. RB committee that can pass block and run routes.

Am I way off here with this thinking?

I suppose none of it really matters if the execution is poor or inconsistent.

like the 2010-2011 Pats?
      A.Hernandez/Gronk, K.Faulk/Woodhead

Comment

• pacstud
        Black Belt Poster
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I wonder how often Belichick talks to other coaches?
        I'd wager quite a bit.

As you like to say though, sui generis.

Comment

• pacstud
          Black Belt Poster
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
          I would think if the trend in the league shifted to pass pass run. Then the adjustment would happen to slow that down. And then it would shift back to running more on early downs

So, could it be useful to always buck the trend.
          If current trend is rush on 1st even against 8 or 9 man fronts. Can a staff adopt we are going to be a counter culture team. We are passing much much more on early downs, especially if the opponent is in base and 8 man front.

And then if trend in league is pass happy and team adjust to defend the pass on early downs because of the trend. Then counter culture, smash with the run on early downs, especially vs 7 man fronts.

To do this I am thinking multiple TEs that can block and receive at high level. RB committee that can pass block and run routes.

Am I way off here with this thinking?

I suppose none of it really matters if the execution is poor or inconsistent.

Well teams don't just arbitrarily "stack the box" because they're guessing run. I know at the HS level we:

Look at personnel first. Is it 00/10 or 21 or 22 or 30 or what? Then you match personnel. So if we go 21 with a fullback and a TE, then probably going to put a "heavy" d-line and a run-stopping safety. But if we roll out 10 personnel, well that'll be matched with a "fast" D-line/rush ends, if possible a nickel/dime package, etc. So that's personnel.

Then it's formation, motion, shift, backfield. So if it's 21 personnel and they flex the FB out to the slot you have 3x1 with a single back (call it Trey-Open). Defense has to decide how they're covering that FB. How are we covering 3 receiver side (in this case a TE/FB/WR). That's different from 10 personnel 3x1 Trips-Open where it's WR/WR/WR.

So what I'm saying is run vs pass is overly simplistic. Sure, 10 personnel on 3rd and long, probably pass, checking for screens and draws. 22 personnel on 3rd and short, play the run and be ready for PA, boot, waggle.

But there isn't this world where teams "play the run" on first down. They play the personnel, the formation, and yes, the tendencies...but those tendencies are very, very specific.

EDIT: This is just HS. I'm guessing that as you go up in levels it gets even more detailed. Individual matchups, capitalizing on defensive "rules", setting up plays, etc...way more intense exponentially.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Hybrid personnel where you can flex out and back in.

Can we go from 10, 11, 12, 21, 22 with the same personnel.

Gordon (RB), Ekeler (RB/WR), Henry(TE/FB or HBack /WR), Williams(WR/TE), and Allen(WR).
            Seems like between them, they can do its somewhat
            And I think they already attempt to mix and match to create an advantage.

Can we add Deebo Samuel type players. He seems like he could do (WR/RB/FB)
            Add a couple more TEs that are capable of TE, FB or HBack, WR. Can we go from 13 personnel and still get to effective 10 to 22.

Is this just a fantasy, am I delusional?
            To have a roster built so almost every skill player is multi dimensional. So the personnel group can do a wide variety of things.
            Is it just too difficult to find players that do many things well. Is it too taxing them to ask them to do so many things?
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

I'd wager quite a bit.

As you like to say though, sui generis.
              I wonder how often Belichick uses devices to eavesdrop on other coaches conversations?

Comment

• pacstud
                Black Belt Poster
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I wonder how often Belichick uses devices to eavesdrop on other coaches conversations?
                Ha. I’ll say this, mofo knows his shit. Fucking god.

Comment

Working...
                X