• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Opportunity With Rivers

2019 turned disastrous. We can't let the Rivers era end like this can we? With Rivers getting crucified. I'd like to at least have one more year with him until the team goes to a QB of the future. This team was supposed to contend for a Super Bowl. The Super Bowl host team in 2022 are the Chargers and Rams, and no host team has ever hosted the game. It's likely Rivers won't play beyond that point. So I'd like for the team to try with Rivers giving it their last shot.

The coaching staff and management overestimated the talent they had. They got complacent IMO. It also rubbed off on some of the players. There were signings by the team that were a mistake. They address the areas that need to be improved and with a bit of luck and health, the team can be a 10 win team again.

• richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

We have 3 more games before we have to decide anything. If he plays like he did today, I'm guessing he is back for a year or two. If he plays like he did in the previous 3 games, maybe not.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

I knew yesterday’s win over a crap team would have many over reacting in favor of re signing PR.
      Anything more than a 1 year deal (or 2 thats turns into a 1 type) to tutor a bonafide heir is a mistake.
      again, less about PR himself and more about opening a new window, one in which guys like Bosa and James will want to be a part of. And cap, we need to resign our guys and bring in young FAs (not the Davis of the NFL).
      and did anyone notice that Rivers was asked to read less? Why pay PR to do unRivers like play when you can ask Tyrod to do the same for a fraction of the cost?
      Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Let's build an OL before "anyone" gets here o stays here. Imagine putting a rookie behind that OL... Ryan Leaf all over again and very Chargeresque....

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          I knew yesterday’s win over a crap team would have many over reacting in favor of re signing PR.
          Anything more than a 1 year deal (or 2 thats turns into a 1 type) to tutor a bonafide heir is a mistake.
          again, less about PR himself and more about opening a new window, one in which guys like Bosa and James will want to be a part of. And cap, we need to resign our guys and bring in young FAs (not the Davis of the NFL).
          and did anyone notice that Rivers was asked to read less? Why pay PR to do unRivers like play when you can ask Tyrod to do the same for a fraction of the cost?
          I'm not sure even the strongest Rivers defenders think he would be back for more than one or two seasons. It will be very interesting to see what the front office does if he takes care of the ball the last 3 games and looks like the Rivers of last year vs the turnovers of this year.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
            Let's build an OL before "anyone" gets here o stays here. Imagine putting a rookie behind that OL... Ryan Leaf all over again and very Chargeresque....
            I think that’s generally a legit approach, but it’s not necessary. If you’re talking about spending our first on Oline instead of QB sure, but not if one of the big three are there.
            We need an heir there ready to roll as a starter or put pressure behind Tyrod. We need him to let Bosa and James know we’re serious about competing in their prime and not depending on either Tyrod or Rivers.

Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Silversurfer
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Los Angeles
              • Send PM

Lets move on already. He will do the same thing next year have a good game then chuck up INT after INT, obviously he cant get it done.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
                Lets move on already. He will do the same thing next year have a good game then chuck up INT after INT, obviously he cant get it done.
                Silver, that is EXACTLY my concern here. Rivers plays lights out vs. one or two teams, usually with losing records, but occasionally vs. a good team. We all think, "wow, now THAT'S a HOF QB." And then he goes through terrible streaks of games like the Lions, Bears, Chiefs and Raiders. He's just too streaky, and, as I've said many times, melts down in crunch time, especially in close games. Too much promise, too many disappointments. Time to move on.
                Last edited by Topcat; 12-09-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Silver, that is EXACTLY my concern here. Rivers plays lights out vs. one or two teams, usually with losing records, but occasionally vs. a good team. We all think, "wow, now THAT'S a HOF QB." And then he goes through terrible streaks of games like the Lions, Bears, Chiefs and Raiders. He's just too streaky, and, as I've said many times, melts down in crunch time, especially in close games. Too much promise, to many disappointments. Time to move on.
                  14 years of disappointment is enough 4 me

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

I'm not against giving him a 1 + 1 type deal... if the money is right.

He can't be paid like he is on his current deal.
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

I want something with zero miles on it,,, Phillip has over 300,000 miles ,,, time for a trade in so I can begin my next 14 years of dissapointment

Comment

• PMR9FAN
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

The key for Philly Riv is protection ... when he has it, he can perform at an elite level.

He can still make all the throws and reads he used to make.

But when the team trots out "projects" like Pipkins to play blindside OT, things will not go well ... I assume everyone knows that right?

Lynn: "I wish Rivers wouldn't turn the ball over."
                        Rivers: "I wish you hadn't drafted Defense the last two years."

Comment

Working...
                        X