• Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
    Ideally.
    The line gets healthy.
    They add a solid FA to the line.
    They add speed FA WR to the group.
    They make a move for a QB in the draft.
    And they bring back Rivers for another season.

Im just not wanting them to build around Rivers for the future. And I dont think you can count on the o line to be healthy all year and being a top 5 unit. I also dont like that we have limitations in redzone and short yardage because there is no threat of mobility by the QB. It limits the playbook.

I think we need a future franchise QB who plays great in the pocket but also can buy time and make off schedule plays with mobility.

I think its a false narrative to blame everyone but Rivers for lack of AFC West titles for 10 seasons in a row. I think he should as franchise QB and leader get his fair share of the blame.

It is better to make moves 1 year early than 1 year late. I think we may be getting close to 1 year too late if we keep riding the Rivers Family Van.
    Let me guess. You want Burrows ?

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by onthefence View Post
      Been watching him since his first start against KC all those years ago. He had his window. He had great o-lines. He had playoff caliber teams over the years. Just my opinion but I feel he has always been wound a little too tightly. You still have people on here saying all he needs is a good o line. He has only been sacked nine more times than the Cowboys who have the lowest amount in the league.They also average 4.1 yards per rushing attempt. Take those numbers any way one wants but blaming the o-line for PR's short comings (which most of the die hard PR fans continue to do) just doesn't cut it in my book. Is this o-line great? No but it sure isn't the piece of crap everyone seems to think it is. You made a great point in one of your posts about Pr always letting the clock run to one second or zero on the play clock. He does this quite consistently which allows the d line to know exactly when the ball will be snapped on almost every down. I do not see ANY other team doing this on such a consistently alarming level.
      Fence, u hit the nail on the head. Even with a decent O-line, I just don't think it will help Rivers that much, especially in crunch time and/or vs. good teams and/or in a close game. Your comment that PR is "wound a little too tightly" manifests itself in the following ways: He allows himself to get too emotional in some cases and forces the rock into coverage for picks which lose us games; he gets hot under the collar and jaws at opposing players, which, I feel, affects his play in some cases; he gives up and turtles up on some plays instead of at LEAST making some attempt to scramble for a few yards. He holds onto the rock too long in many cases, looking for the long ball, and gets sacked, stripped, tipped or fumbles for crucial game-changing turnovers. And there are more examples...

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Our remaing games are basically scrimmages. We will not be in the playoffs, W or L.
        we have officially commenced our run to SB LV.... every game matters.... we have begun to set the tone for what is to become.... "This is What We Do !!" ….(we play Chargers footba!!)

ps. thinkin' we need to move on from the ASAP already,
        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Fence, u hit the nail on the head. Even with a decent O-line, I just don't think it will help Rivers that much, especially in crunch time and/or vs. good teams and/or in a close game. Your comment that PR is "wound a little too tightly" manifests itself in the following ways: He allows himself to get too emotional in some cases and forces the rock into coverage for picks which lose us games; he gets hot under the collar and jaws at opposing players, which, I feel, affects his play in some cases; he gives up and turtles up on some plays instead of at LEAST making some attempt to scramble for a few yards. He holds onto the rock too long in many cases, looking for the long ball, and gets sacked, stripped, tipped or fumbles for crucial game-changing turnovers. And there are more examples...
          Sadly, yes. For all the pluses, the minuses are also just as real, also crippling.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
            Outback Goon
            • Sep 2018
            • Australia
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

was good to see Rivers hit Ekeler on screen pass

and

that gave us this GEM:

Watching this gives me the impression he prefers to long pass to all others. He wants to burn those pass rushers and trash talk em into submission. Damn I love Rivers.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

was good to see Rivers hit Ekeler on screen pass

and

that gave us this GEM:

Watching this gives me the impression he prefers to long pass to all others. He wants to burn those pass rushers and trash talk em into submission. Damn I love Rivers.
              “I will do that! That’s what I do!”
              hahaha
              ”17 keeps talking!”
              Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Caslon
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Less trash from PR talk is in order. You're a 5-8 team. Not an 8-5 team. Remember way back when PR trash talked to the refs about a call he thought was unjust and it caused the HC to have to call a timeout at a critical time near the end of the game with seconds counting down? That's the part about PR's trash talk I don't like. PR was certain that the refs got it wrong, instead of keeping his cool and keeping his mind on the game and the clock and that what he exclaimed to the refs wasn't going to matter, he ignored that aspect. It's as if by sheer will he could change the call and alter reality, while critical seconds ticked off the clock. PR is in is own world at times, not the teams world or reality.
                Last edited by Caslon; 12-11-2019, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Rivers has been clutch.
                  Regular season wins at KC & BAL come to mind.
                  Playoffs at CIN.
                  This is all in the distant past.

We can expect Rivers to come back,
                  but I want the cap relief, personally.

It is not easy to find a rare franchise QB,
                  but the journey must begin,
                  sooner or later.

DEN and Lock ? LOL.

wisdom of wu presents woodMock v2 soon...

More way too early talking points.
                  At ~ top ten, we must really, really
                  identify talent more than position of need.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Send PM

I love PR but a good showing against a terrible injury depleted Jaguars team which some college teams can give them a run for shouldn’t be seen as merit for him returning. Jags are the 26th ranked D in the league in pts allowed.

Let’s see how he does in the Minnesota game and the two games after that.

One good game doesn’t make up for a season full of bad decisions, and under thrown balls.

Both him and Eli should walk away from the game peacefully after this season imo. Ben will soon follow (sure the Steelers wish they hadn’t given him that long contract).
                    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                      Ideally.
                      The line gets healthy.
                      They add a solid FA to the line.
                      They add speed FA WR to the group.
                      They make a move for a QB in the draft.
                      And they bring back Rivers for another season.

Im just not wanting them to build around Rivers for the future. And I dont think you can count on the o line to be healthy all year and being a top 5 unit. I also dont like that we have limitations in redzone and short yardage because there is no threat of mobility by the QB. It limits the playbook.

I think we need a future franchise QB who plays great in the pocket but also can buy time and make off schedule plays with mobility.

I think its a false narrative to blame everyone but Rivers for lack of AFC West titles for 10 seasons in a row. I think he should as franchise QB and leader get his fair share of the blame.

It is better to make moves 1 year early than 1 year late. I think we may be getting close to 1 year too late if we keep riding the Rivers Family Van.
                      14 years late

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                        I love PR but a good showing against a terrible injury depleted Jaguars team which some college teams can give them a run for shouldn’t be seen as merit for him returning. Jags are the 26th ranked D in the league in pts allowed.

Let’s see how he does in the Minnesota game and the two games after that.

One good game doesn’t make up for a season full of bad decisions, and under thrown balls.

Both him and Eli should walk away from the game peacefully after this season imo. Ben will soon follow (sure the Steelers wish they hadn’t given him that long contract).
                        The pressure was totally off in this game--hence why Rivers excelled...

Comment

• PMR9FAN
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                          Less trash from PR talk is in order. You're a 5-8 team. Not an 8-5 team. Remember way back when PR trash talked to the refs about a call he thought was unjust and it caused the HC to have to call a timeout at a critical time near the end of the game with seconds counting down? That's the part about PR's trash talk I don't like. PR was certain that the refs got it wrong, instead of keeping his cool and keeping his mind on the game and the clock and that what he exclaimed to the refs wasn't going to matter, he ignored that aspect. It's as if by sheer will he could change the call and alter reality, while critical seconds ticked off the clock. PR is in is own world at times, not the teams world or reality.
                          I love the trash talk ... it's who he is, regardless of the score or the record. Having fun and getting guys around him motivated. Nick Hardwick was a big fan of it and said it helped fire up the team. The one time you mentioned was out of how many thousand plays in his career?

Ref:

When Philip Rivers is going, he might be the best when it comes to trash talking opponents.
                          Last edited by PMR9FAN; 12-11-2019, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X