• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I'm not writing off Pipkins yet. From what I have seen, he looks like he could actually hit his very high ceiling and sooner rather than later.
    I have to say it seems he is playing better every time I see him. He is by no means an allpro or anything it it is good to see improvement where a project is concerned.

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Ya want a real story? TT drafts Queensbury. Fifth round. Expected to maybe be a backup. Starting center Pouncey goes to IR. Queensbury starts as center and does better than anyone expected for a 5th rounder. TT scored on that kinda serendipity. He can play guard too. He may end up being better than an up front OL draft pick like Lamp. Go figure. I've always been impressed with late rounder O-Linemen who wait their time and go on to greatness.

Heh, let's see more of TT's stable of O-linemen get their chance. Who knows?
      Last edited by Caslon; 12-10-2019, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
        Superbowl?
        • Sep 2018
        • Los Angeles/Chicago
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
        Ya want a real story? TT drafts Queensbury. Fifth round. Expected to maybe be a backup. Starting center Pouncey goes to IR. Queensbury starts as center and does better than anyone expected for a 5th rounder. TT scored on that kinda serendipity. He can play guard too. He may end up being better than an up front OL draft pick like Lamp. Go figure. I've always been impressed with late rounder O-Linemen who wait their time and go on to greatness.

Heh, let's see more of TT's stable of O-linemen get their chance. Who knows?
        I feel TT is very solid rounds 4th - 7th ... Chris Watt, Desmond King, Justin Jackson, Drue Tranquil, oh and let's not forget UDFA's Austin Ekeler, etc. Need one of his up and coming assistants to start having the final say rounds 1 - 3 (and don't give me Derwin, he fell in our lap, just like Keenan did, MG, Bosa and HH were no brainers) oh and let's not forget Free Agents, let the up and comer sign them as well.

Reminds me of when Kenny Williams of the White Sox won the W.S. then moved up from GM to VP and made Rick Hanh the new G.M.
        Last edited by ChargingBolts; 12-11-2019, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

i wanted Dexter soooo bad when everyone was saying Wilkins was the stud.

Chargers need a NT. Not a DT and damn 350+LB NT.

Any guys like that coming in 2020?

Also:

Where is the TT love for drafting Scott Q? Dude came in and played well after Pouncey injury, so well infact that position is not of need next draft. That whole situation could have been gravely worse.
          Okay, how about this: TT, for drafting Q-berry, who has mostly played decently for a mid-rounder, thanks. For all the other whiffs...

image.jpeg

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Lamp, given a chance will earn his place as a 6th rounder chosen in the 2nd round who just needs some time. After all, he was injured, When he's let go, you all can fall back on that. A second round highly touted pick was kept out of the lineup due to bringing him along accordingly. He was healthy for a long spell and still got passed over by the coaches who stated he needed more time. Ya, a 5th or 6th rounder you do that with, not a second rounder touted as one of the best in his draft class.

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2019
              • Send PM

Poor drafting aside, TT has bundled player negotiation with Weddle, Bosa, Gordon and has not made any great trades to help the team. Heck, Belichick is a HC and a better GM than TT. He has files on players he wants when their perceived value goes in the tank.

You have ave to take some risk to find players that can help get you through the hard times. I’m not saying pay big Lazy $$$ after 9 games, but TT does not know how to trade for value. He is an above average drafter with poor contract negotiations skills.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

i wanted Dexter soooo bad when everyone was saying Wilkins was the stud.

Chargers need a NT. Not a DT and damn 350+LB NT.

Any guys like that coming in 2020?

Also:

Where is the TT love for drafting Scott Q? Dude came in and played well after Pouncey injury, so well infact that position is not of need next draft. That whole situation could have been gravely worse.
                Need I point out that Q is from La Costa. Therefore making him..........(drumroll pleeze)......... A La Costa Boy!!!

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Sb4Rivers View Post
                  Poor drafting aside, TT has bundled player negotiation with Weddle, Bosa, Gordon and has not made any great trades to help the team. Heck, Belichick is a HC and a better GM than TT. He has files on players he wants when their perceived value goes in the tank.

You have ave to take some risk to find players that can help get you through the hard times. I’m not saying pay big Lazy $$$ after 9 games, but TT does not know how to trade for value. He is an above average drafter with poor contract negotiations skills.
                  TT doesn't do the contract negotiations, Ed McGuire does. I don't agree that the Gordon or Weddle were not handled correctly.

Weddle was an aging player on the decline and whined like a little bitch publicly about his contract (this after the Chargers previously had made him the highest paid safety in league history).

Gordon vastly overvalued his worth and trade appeal and screwed the team by holding out late. Nobody wanted him for what he was asking so I'm not sure how the Chargers are to blame for his unrealistic expectations and bad advice from his agents.

The Bosa contract holdout over the offset language was really stupid by both sides and should not have happened.

Comment

• nomad1946
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2017
                    • West Yellowstone, Montana
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

It makes me wonder if John Spanos gets out of the drafting after the first 3 rounds or so and lets TT finish out.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

TT doesn't do the contract negotiations, Ed McGuire does. I don't agree that the Gordon or Weddle were not handled correctly.

Weddle was an aging player on the decline and whined like a little bitch publicly about his contract (this after the Chargers previously had made him the highest paid safety in league history).

Gordon vastly overvalued his worth and trade appeal and screwed the team by holding out late. Nobody wanted him for what he was asking so I'm not sure how the Chargers are to blame for his unrealistic expectations and bad advice from his agents.

The Bosa contract holdout over the offset language was really stupid by both sides and should not have happened.
                      I agree with your observations. But I think the Spamnoses meddled in the negotiations with Bosa and insisted on the offset language in his rookie contract.

Comment

• Chargers33
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Other than DJ33 no one out of our last 2 draft classes are ever mentioned as as one of the best young players at their position.

Comment

Working...
                        X