• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMR9FAN
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Hernandez: Here’s Why The Chargers Need To Part Ways With Phillip Rivers

Read L.A. Chargers news from the Los Angeles Times.

Hernandez, who either did not watch the Chargers much this year or who is not very intelligent (or both), cites the three consecutive three-and-outs as evidence of Rivers’ declining abilities. Although it is always dangerous to draw conclusions from a small sample size, let’s play along with Hernandez’ reasoning and see what we can learn from these three possessions.

1 - Pipkins is not ready for prime time. His early penalty and poor blocking put the Chargers in a deep hole on possession #1 that could not be overcome.

2 - If memory serves, the Chargers in the 2nd and 3rd possessions were under the mistaken belief that they were an NFL team that could establish a running game. They of course were wrong.

3 - Hunter Henry had a chance to make a play on a safe throw from Rivers that was thrown only where Henry could catch it. Would have been a tuff catch, but he couldn’t make it.

So if we want these three possessions to serve as a microcosm for the season as Hernandez does, the only thing they show is that the oline, especially the LT, is poor and the running game is nonexistent. None of this is on Rivers.

Hernandez gets dangerous again by using only one stat in isolation to draw the conclusion that Rivers is washed up. Rivers apparently had more time to throw this year than last year. Anyone who has watched the games would know this stat is either incorrect or extremely misleading. Last years’ line was far superior in creating a clean pocket and last years’ receiving corp created greater separation so not as much time was needed.

The irony is is that while Hernandez does not make a compelling case, he may still be right. But it would be nice if people who get paid to write articles about a team would at least watch the games.

• Midwestbolt
    • Feb 2019
    • Midwest
    • Local 150 operating engineer.
    • Send PM

This guy's kinda late to the party. Rivers being washed up and needs to go is so 3 weeks ago.

He must have caught the above stat looking for material. Slow week?

If anything, Rivers play has been better since KC.

Most of the stuff that really gets my goat happened earlier in the season.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Comment

• PMR9FAN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Midwestbolt View Post
        This guy's kinda late to the party. Rivers being washed up and needs to go is so 3 weeks ago.

He must have caught the above stat looking for material. Slow week?

If anything, Rivers play has been better since KC.

Most of the stuff that really gets my goat happened earlier in the season.
        Rivers last game against Oakland was an intentional advertisement to the NFL.

Like Peyton in his later years, I can become a game manager , make few mistakes, and bring a veteran presence to a team. Build a team around me, and I will demonstrate the leadership skills and work ethic needed to be a champion.

Comment

• Midwestbolt
          • Feb 2019
          • Midwest
          • Local 150 operating engineer.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post

Rivers last game against Oakland was an intentional advertisement to the NFL.

Like Peyton in his later years, I can become a game manager , make few mistakes, and bring a veteran presence to a team. Build a team around me, and I will demonstrate the leadership skills and work ethic needed to be a champion.
          I'm very interested to watch the 22 of that particular game. It wasn't up yesterday. Maybe when I'm chilling after Christmas. Iirc in the few plays I saw (I listened to the game) PR looked accurate.

then again I though he was fairly accurate vs the Vikings. Same with Jax. Without the horrid throw to end the game in KC, he wasn't as awful as some claim.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

i am pretty sure i've watched every game of Phil's career, and I personally think 2019 is his worst year ever. is one worst year = permanent end of career decline, or is it just one worst year? that i do not know.

I see more and more teams with QBs that can run and I'm jelly. i'm sick and tired of the wounded baby giraffe stagger and stumble thing. its time to board the train ... choo choo!
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• PMR9FAN
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              i am pretty sure i've watched every game of Phil's career, and I personally think 2019 is his worst year ever. is one worst year = permanent end of career decline, or is it just one worst year? that i do not know.

I see more and more teams with QBs that can run and I'm jelly. i'm sick and tired of the wounded baby giraffe stagger and stumble thing. its time to board the train ... choo choo!
              You must not have watched Rodgers and Cousins do their giraffe impersonations last night. Lamar will come down to earth soon or get hurt.

There always be room in this league for the classic drop-back passer. Accurate. Smart. Leader.

Comment

• jubei
                Vagabond Ninja
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

there's NO WAY Rogers and Cousins look ANYWHERE CLOSE to wounded baby giraffe like rivers. They could probably run backwards drunk and still look less "wounded baby giraffe". rivers holds that title all on his own. I've never seen anyone as uncoordinated when running. but in his prime he was a very good QB...so sad it has dropped off a cliff this season.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Based on Lynn’s presser today, Rivers is gone. His tone, especially the statement that he doesn’t believe in doing the same thing and expecting different results, suggests that the offense will change significantly. The only way the offense changes its approach is with a different QB.

If Lynn had said something to the effect that “we’re close” or “we just need to get healthy”, then I would say Rivers is back. But Lynn was emphatic about wanting to do things differently.

Assuming Lynn doesn’t get fired, it looks like Rivers will.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post
                    https://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers

Hernandez, who either did not watch the Chargers much this year or who is not very intelligent (or both), cites the three consecutive three-and-outs as evidence of Rivers’ declining abilities. Although it is always dangerous to draw conclusions from a small sample size, let’s play along with Hernandez’ reasoning and see what we can learn from these three possessions.

1 - Pipkins is not ready for prime time. His early penalty and poor blocking put the Chargers in a deep hole on possession #1 that could not be overcome.

2 - If memory serves, the Chargers in the 2nd and 3rd possessions were under the mistaken belief that they were an NFL team that could establish a running game. They of course were wrong.

3 - Hunter Henry had a chance to make a play on a safe throw from Rivers that was thrown only where Henry could catch it. Would have been a tuff catch, but he couldn’t make it.

So if we want these three possessions to serve as a microcosm for the season as Hernandez does, the only thing they show is that the oline, especially the LT, is poor and the running game is nonexistent. None of this is on Rivers.

Hernandez gets dangerous again by using only one stat in isolation to draw the conclusion that Rivers is washed up. Rivers apparently had more time to throw this year than last year. Anyone who has watched the games would know this stat is either incorrect or extremely misleading. Last years’ line was far superior in creating a clean pocket and last years’ receiving corp created greater separation so not as much time was needed.

The irony is is that while Hernandez does not make a compelling case, he may still be right. But it would be nice if people who get paid to write articles about a team would at least watch the games.
                    There is not a competent writer at the LA Times. In any section. I would not put any stock into anything one of their morons writes.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

There is not a competent writer at the LA Times. In any section. I would not put any stock into anything one of their morons writes.
                      In the immortal words of Mike Gundy, I guess that’s why I shouldn’t read the newspaper ... cause it’s garbage.

Comment

• Protect17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Philip needs a new start on a new team his time here has to end NOW .The LA Chargers need a new story

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍