Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I agree with you. The grandfather always tell our toddler that boys don’t cry. He was a high ranking military officer back in the day. My wife and I always tell our toddler that it is ok to cry and show his emotions. I think it is more detrimental to hold it in.
    I know, it's ingrained in the military. My father wasn't in the U.S. military, so it's not just in this nation. Those guys in WWII had to be tough, so maybe to be that tough you had bottle everything up. I remember once as a boy I leaned my head against my father while we were on a road trip. He pushed me away and said men don't seek affection from each other. He wasn't mean about it, just matter of fact, like he was teaching me a life lesson. I never sought affection from him again, and to this day when a male friend wants to hug I still cringe inside a little, even though I know it's a perfectly acceptable and appropriate gesture between two men.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      What a contrast.

Staley or Campbell building a good culture.

Vs

Chuckie or Urban full of themselves.
      Happy with the Spanos’ choice. I imagine Staley killed the interviews judging by his pressers. He made it an easy choice for them.

as for Campbell, I have seen him in 2 pressers, first when he was hired and vowed the “chew the kneecaps” off people and now shedding tears for another heartbreak loss. Odd guy.

Gruden and urban are not long for the NFL

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Happy with the Spanos’ choice. I imagine Staley killed the interviews judging by his pressers. He made it an easy choice for them.

as for Campbell, I have seen him in 2 pressers, first when he was hired and vowed the “chew the kneecaps” off people and now shedding tears for another heartbreak loss. Odd guy.

Gruden and urban are not long for the NFL
        Lions are competing hard for Campbell...Ma Ford happy

Dean was applauding with everyone else during Staley's locker room speech yesterday.

Mark Davis and Shad Khan are getting sour.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I know, it's ingrained in the military. My father wasn't in the U.S. military, so it's not just in this nation. Those guys in WWII had to be tough, so maybe to be that tough you had bottle everything up. I remember once as a boy I leaned my head against my father while we were on a road trip. He pushed me away and said men don't seek affection from each other. He wasn't mean about it, just matter of fact, like he was teaching me a life lesson. I never sought affection from him again, and to this day when a male friend wants to hug I still cringe inside a little, even though I know it's a perfectly acceptable and appropriate gesture between two men.
          My Dad was just the opposite of that. He wouldn't let any of his kids leave the house without a hug. Even after we were all adults and had kids of our own he insisted on a hug from each of us as we left to go somewhere.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• CivilBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

My Dad was just the opposite of that. He wouldn't let any of his kids leave the house without a hug. Even after we were all adults and had kids of our own he insisted on a hug from each of us as we left to go somewhere.
            Nice! I think it creates good childhood memories. I always try to do this with my kids even though my parents were not affectionate. I think I was influenced by my wife’s family. Hey guys, I think we should get back on topic before Fleet creates a new post called “life lessons” :thumbsup:

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The WWII generation is definitely the Greatest, both the warriors and the homefront. A lot of the stocism had to do with the Great Depression. Anyway, I don't think its refreshing to see tears from a coach, unless it has to do with someone on the team that is going though real-life tough times, but it's not 'pathetic'. I don't want to see teams going 0-17, just bad for the game, so I do hope that Jax and Det get one, hopefully against a Chargers' rival.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post
                I don’t have a problem with Campbell getting emotional and at least he gives a shit and is not making excuses or throwing guys under the bus. Anybody that has ever coached anything knows the losses hurt WAY more than the highs you experience when winning just the way it is. As for Gruden I thought his presser was way more cringe and once again a inflated ago takes a man down as it should. Humility is in very short supply these days and I feel no empathy for Jon Gruden and am not surprised one bit by this. Fuck him, fuck Mark Davis and fuck that organization for what they did to a lot of good people in the East Bay let them burn.
                I came away thinking that Campbell really cares about his players and that wanted to make sure they were respected despite the losses, which are not the fault of his players giving their all.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I'll just give this a thumbs-up of approval to get prevent us from getting too far off-topic. :thumbsup:

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

I have no problem with showing emotion in general. People have emotions and ignoring them isn't productive as a leader.

BUT the NFL season is long. You can't let the highs get too high or the lows get too low. It's week 5. Maybe it ends up being cathartic and gets the team focused. But it looks more exhausting to me.

Staley is an emotional leader too but he ALWAYS wraps it up with an "Okay, on to next week" segment. He always brings it back steady. That's important. Acknowledge the moment, then focus on the work.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                      I have no problem with showing emotion in general.

BUT the NFL season is long. You can't let the highs get too high or the lows get too low. It's week 5. Maybe it ends up being cathartic and gets the team focused. But it looks more exhausting to me. Campbell
                      Next sunday would be an excellent time to get their first win - against the Bengals.
                      Come on -- do it for Dan Campbell!

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                        The Precious
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Next sunday would be an excellent time to get their first win - against the Bengals.
                        Come on -- do it for Dan Campbell!
                        Ha! I’m with ya and as Chargers fans we naturally root for the underdogs. Talk about a fan base that deserves a winner.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                          I have no problem with showing emotion in general. People have emotions and ignoring them isn't productive as a leader.

BUT the NFL season is long. You can't let the highs get too high or the lows get too low. It's week 5. Maybe it ends up being cathartic and gets the team focused. But it looks more exhausting to me.

Staley is an emotional leader too but he ALWAYS wraps it up with an "Okay, on to next week" segment. He always brings it back steady. That's important. Acknowledge the moment, then focus on the work.
                          I agree. Staley has that poker face even in games. Zero panic regardless of the situation.

Comment

Working...
                          X