• Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Because Staley needed him in the game.
    I am still asking for your particular football judgement call.

Mine is that it is absurd for K9 to have been in there vs other options.

Pundits left and right are saying Staley was baldface lying (strong, strong language, I would say)
    when Brandon said postgame K9 was our best Man Coverage guy there.

Please give me Kyzir, Tranq, Alohi, someone there.

:help:
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I am still asking for your particular football judgement call.

Mine is that it is absurd for K9 to have been in there vs other options.

Pundits left and right are saying Staley was baldface lying (strong, strong language, I would say)
      when Brandon said K9 was our best Man Coverage guy there.

Please give me Kyzir, Tranq, Alohi, someone there.

:help:
      I won't fault you at all for criticizing the decision to have him in there. But I still 100 percent guarantee you that nobody from the Spanos family, or even Tom Telesco, is dictating to Staley which players he has to play on game day.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Easier said than done. I'm not sure I agree with some saying Staley has an ego. More fan speak in my opinion
        There’s a bit of an ego involved when you go for it on your own 18 in the 3rd quarter down by 3, and not take the points at the end of the half in the KC game.

Not trying to get players via trade that can help your run D because you think you can fix it. And guess what, you never did.

Look, I like Staley and I think they are headed in the right direction. I just hope he learns from his mistakes and realizes analytics aren’t always the answer to the right decision.

Why not try and bring in one of the brightest defensive minds in the game that knows the scheme??? Hill is not the answer at DC. Now Staley and Fangio would be much better and be able to figure it out. Not trying to bring Fangio in to me, would be Staley’s ego saying, we can fix this. But they never fixed it from start to finish. I would just like to see Staley be able to put more focus on the whole team and be just the HC and not the HC/DC.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

There’s a bit of an ego involved when you go for it on your own 18 in the 3rd quarter down by 3, and not take the points at the end of the half in the KC game.

Not trying to get players via trade that can help your run D because you think you can fix it. And guess what, you never did.

Look, I like Staley and I think they are headed in the right direction. I just hope he learns from his mistakes and realizes analytics aren’t always the answer to the right decision.

Why not try and bring in one of the brightest defensive minds in the game that knows the scheme??? Hill is not the answer at DC. Now Staley and Fangio would be much better and be able to figure it out. Not trying to bring Fangio in to me, would be Staley’s ego saying, we can fix this. But they never fixed it from start to finish. I would just like to see Staley be able to put more focus on the whole team and be just the HC and not the HC/DC.
          Ego? Not sure I buy that. If you said he trusts analytics too much I might agree with that.

I will point out that in the KC game we were 2 of 5 on those conversions and scored 2 TDs for 14 points. If we would have attempted fgs all 5 times and made all 5, it would have been 15 points. Hardly game changing either way.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

I won't fault you at all for criticizing the decision to have him in there. But I still 100 percent guarantee you that nobody from the Spanos family, or even Tom Telesco, is dictating to Staley which players he has to play on game day.
            TY. I have always been a "loyalist."
            It will take a while to decompress.
            Faith in Staley is weakened.

:threadhijack:

Sorry TPB.
            But we need to talk through all this.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Ego? Not sure I buy that. If you said he trusts analytics too much I might agree with that.

I will point out that in the KC game we were 2 of 5 on those conversions and scored 2 TDs for 14 points. If we would have attempted fgs all 5 times and made all 5, it would have been 15 points. Hardly game changing either way.
              Oakland has a decent front 7. He should have paid attention to those analytics. Plus Gus knows our weaknesses and strengths. Those should have been factored in as well. The only bright spot this season is the improved special teams play. The defense just sucked at the wrong times which resulted in at least three losses that were preventable.
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

TY. I have always been a "loyalist."
                It will take a while to decompress.
                Faith in Staley is weakened.

:threadhijack:

Sorry TPB.
                But we need to talk through all this.
                Definitely. Some inexplicable things happened.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Someone didn't tighten down the lug nuts and the wheels flew off the bus at the wrong times!

:smoking:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Because Staley needed him in the game.
                    I believe I Heard Staley actually say Murray is our best coverage LBer????????..... based on the 2 years we have seen him plus his college work, that is by far his weakest area...... so is that saying Murray is way better then the lost soul he looks like in games?? or are our other LBers just more horrible????

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

I can 100 percent guarantee that no Spanos nor Tom Telesco is dictating to Brandon Staley who he has to play in any game.
                      that should be the case but none of us really know what sick twisted stupidity goes on behind the Spanos closed doors...... lol

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I cannot help but see this in mythological terms.

With JM watching from beyond...

this was the modern version of the game with
                        The Holy Roller Play.

Only so much more was at stake.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

Staley showed how green he really is this year, at different times....I still like what he brings, and I'm still am sold....mostly. However, I need to see the following things from him next season to feel much better going forward...

1. Accountability- Way too many fundamental mistakes this year. Missed tackles, dropped passes, penalties...needs to be a clear system in place going forward to discourage that shit....the whole "family" thing Staley is preaching is great...but "Pops" better be a disciplinarian, and these players need to fear for their jobs when they blow it out on the field.

2. Rationality- I appreciate some of the aggressiveness Staley shows in strategy/game management...but only some. There is a time and place for 4 downs, and he has been way off base a couple of times this year....biggest example being last night on our own 19 yard line...that was plain arrogance. He seems to try to be "cute" with some of his scheming at times, as well...but all this very forgivable from a first year HC.

Furthermore, both our GM and Coach together need to make some tough calls regarding some of our current "family" members. Guys like Cook, Harris, Justin Jackson, Storm and Pipkens...they may be trying hard, may be well liked...but we need better or more reliable players in those positions. For that matter, few positions on this team can't be upgraded in some way or another. Preaching family is great....so long as everyone understands the family resets/reforms from now until till pretty much the Monday after the draft.

Edit: Ooops...thought I was still on the Staley thread when I spaced out, typed out, and posted this nugget...sorry. If a mod sees this and can move it, be my guest.
                          Last edited by Lone Bolt; 01-11-2022, 04:27 AM.
                          The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

Working...
                          X