• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Exactly - I have said Telesco held on the Mebane and Pouncey a year too long; I hope he doesn't do the same with all three of Hayward, Joseph and Harris. In my world view, he can keep 1 at most but I am using the cap space for better players - forget the sentiment s**t.

Also might allow some flexibility in the draft as right now, if Telesco keeps all three veterans, the draft has to be OT plus CB, DL, OL and Edge. But say you cut Hayward & Harris, bring back Davis but sign a CB to a multi-year deal (Griffin or Darby) - maybe CB is not the need early as you have two CBs in their prime

Also, don't be afraid to try to play the comp game. Sign a guy on a one year make good contract like the Rams did with Floyd if thats the best option. Maybe next year they leave but at least you get the comp pick. Or in free agency, you have two options, they both work, one guy was released, the other a free agent, sign the released guy if he will be just as good.
    Yep..."The Comp Game"...Cheatriots are masters of it...two comp picks this year, and FOUR last year...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep..."The Comp Game"...Cheatriots are masters of it...
      Its like Telesco is still in frigging grade school and Eric DeCosta is already getting his PhD though in his role only a few years. I wonder, does Telesco not see how other teams operate with the draft, comp picks and the salary cap is more Ed Maguire but the data is out there at disposal. Jason from OTC; Warren Sharp also

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I think that was from nflrumors which is a gossip site.
        Oh ok, i didnt recall where it came from. Jut saw it here.
        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
        181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
        225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Yep..."The Comp Game"...Cheatriots are masters of it...two comp picks this year, and FOUR last year...
          Here is a chart from Warren Sharp with a tweet. Look at the Chargers. Tommy T and John Boy are grade school. That means he is not hitting on draft picks because they aren't getting to free agency. Or the team is not developing talent to get to free agency. But when you trade draft picks, whiff on picks, draft from Notre Dame or Sammy Small School -= you aren't going to win the comp game.

think about this: there are 7 teams that have won 65% of their games the last 5 years 4 of those 7 rank top-5 in draft value received from comp picks ...you know, the free draft picks the NFL doles out each year when you let FAs walk let's discuss: https://nbcsports.com/edge/article/offseason-research/value-nfl-comp-picks-2021…

Comment

• Heatmiser
            HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

B4K, could the Telesco rating also result from the Chargers drafting and resigning their own players so they don’t get to free agency? And perhaps because they manage their cap fairly well, they don’t lose key players each year? The downside is not making splashy FA signings but it keeps the cap clean.

Or am I just totally misreading what that chart is saying?

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Belicheck has shown that he can win with subpar players. At least while he had Brady. And those supbar players look pretty good in New England— good enough for other teams to come after them when their contracts are up. But Belicheck knows they are not that good. So they walk, other NFL teams hurt themselves by overpaying for subpar players who cannot succeed away from Belicheck and he just plugs in more subpar players who out perform for him. And he gets draft picks in the process. Pretty nice system.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                B4K, could the Telesco rating also result from the Chargers drafting and resigning their own players so they don’t get to free agency? And perhaps because they manage their cap fairly well, they don’t lose key players each year? The downside is not making splashy FA signings but it keeps the cap clean.

Or am I just totally misreading what that chart is saying?

TG
                That is a fair point. But I think the bigger part is how many players that Telesco have drafted have left for free agency to bigger pots of gold on another team. I just am not sure the Chargers have had players coveted by other teams. And combined with him missing on many in the 3rd and 4th round, trading away those picks - the Chargers are lower in the scale. And because if you miss on draft picks, you make up for it by signing guys in free agency. Which negates comp picks

I am critical of Telesco but it seems other teams, like the Ravens - get comp picks and are still competitive. I think because they have drafted better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Pick up FAs trying to bounce back on cheap one year deals. Let them walk as FAs in the second year and get a comp pick when another team signs them. Easy. Get a cheap year's service and a comp pick. Create value where none existed.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    Pick up FAs trying to bounce back on cheap one year deals. Let them walk as FAs in the second year and get a comp pick when another team signs them. Easy. Get a cheap year's service and a comp pick. Create value where none existed.
                    There should be plenty of those cheap 1-year rentals this year, with all those teams in salary cap hell, not-re-signing players...if ever a year there was for playing the Comp Game, this is it...

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Here is a chart from Warren Sharp with a tweet. Look at the Chargers. Tommy T and John Boy are grade school. That means he is not hitting on draft picks because they aren't getting to free agency. Or the team is not developing talent to get to free agency. But when you trade draft picks, whiff on picks, draft from Notre Dame or Sammy Small School -= you aren't going to win the comp game.

think about this: there are 7 teams that have won 65% of their games the last 5 years 4 of those 7 rank top-5 in draft value received from comp picks ...you know, the free draft picks the NFL doles out each year when you let FAs walk let's discuss: https://nbcsports.com/edge/article/offseason-research/value-nfl-comp-picks-2021…
                      Wow, that chart is very telling...TT needs to pick it up this year...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Not only in free agency, but the draft and if possibly, playing the comp game. Again, if there are two players out there and are close enough in value it doesn't matter - maybe pick the player released and not a true free agent.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Dallas still sux and they are way up there lol. So does Philly and the Bengals always suck lol

Misleading chart.
                          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                          105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
                          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                          140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
                          181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                          225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

Working...
                          X