Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

This might be the worst Steelers team in 20 years, it's going to be annoying to see them in primetime so often.
    Quite the contrary!
    love to see their asses get kicked for all to see 5 Xs
    .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
    .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
    .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
    .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
    .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
    .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
    .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
    .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
    .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

This might be the worst Steelers team in 20 years, it's going to be annoying to see them in primetime so often.
      ♬ And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
      'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
      I'm not the man they think I am at home
      Oh, no, no, no ♬

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

The competition Tua faced in college was mostly far inferior to the talent on his own team. His WRs got open consistently and his OL gave him great protection. In the NFL, the level of competition is much more close. His WRs aren't going to get as wide open, his OL is not going to give him all day. He is going to have to adjust to NFL level talent like Herbert has. So far he has not done that. If he doesn't make that leap forward this season, he may find himself relegated to permanent back up status.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

This was a typical Tua touchdown pass at Alabama: it goes from the line of scrimmage at the 15 to the 50 (35 yards).
          I watched every Tua deep pass that year, and none (as in zero) traveled farther than 35 yards down field.

I brought it up on the forum during that offseason's draft process and no one expressed any interest in that fact.

Good point...defenses can count on planning for this...

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

This was a typical Tua touchdown pass at Alabama: it goes from the line of scrimmage at the 15 to the 50 (35 yards).
            I watched every Tua deep pass that year, and none (as in zero) traveled farther than 35 yards down field.

I brought it up on the forum during that offseason's draft process and no one expressed any interest in that fact.

I'm not sure the point you are trying to make.

Is it that Tua doesn't have enough arm strength?

I haven't done a similar look at QB, but a lot of NFL QB doesn't throw many (ANY?) TD passes over 35 yards. The modern NFL passing game is timing-based, so many teams just aren't throwing long passes. The 49ers got a lot of crap about that when Bill Walsh took over because their practice field had 2- 50 yard fields back to back so that they didn't run plays from the artificial turf half to the grass half because of the shoes they used. It didn't prevent them from winning their 5 SB.

I do think it is an advantage to have a "big arm" QB, but it is only one of many aspects of QB play, and not nearly as important as many others. It is not a make-or-break type of quality.

I think the bigger issue with Tua has been he had a very good pro-style offense with multiple 1st round OL, RB and WR when he was playing for AL, and now in Miami, he still does not have the sort of talent level that he had when he was in college, let alone have the kind of dominant advantage that he had when Alabama was that much better than their opponents.

The biggest knock on Tua so far, IMHO, still has to be his health. Tua has had some stretches where he plays well, despite not having much talent around him. I think he was overrated coming out of college, and he has a lot to learn about going through progressions and about the short passing game. But even if all that works out, he is still a bit of question mark because of him being in and out of the lineup. It may also take him a while to peak, because he misses a lot of practice time.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

His 35 yard passes had a rainbow Quality I thought projected poorly to the nfl. His receivers beat DBs by 5+ yards at bama every go route
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                Lambo sets a new NFL record with the most unmasculine lawsuit in NFL history.
                Why? Because he plays in the NFL vs working in an office? Sounds like a double standard to me. Who in the hell wants to be treated like that by their boss? If someone’s boss comes into the office and kicks them in front of 50 witnesses and it’s easy to prove in court, I think most people would think it was wise for that individual to sue. I’m not sure why a football player should be any different. I could give a rip either way but if a lawsuit like this hits home, maybe more coaches will be held accountable for the way they routinely treat players. I’m curious to know why you think athletes should be treated any different than any other type of employee? These coaches are professionals that demand their players behave like professionals, so why should they be held to a lower standard than what they themselves demand from their players?

Besides, money doesn’t give a shit about what anyone thinks about masculinity, money is money. If the courts rule Urban was liable then I’m going to laugh my ass off when his name gets drug thru the mud yet again. I can’t think of anyone that deserves it more, hopefully this one hits him in the pocket book, who knows how many millions that dirtbag made from treating players like that.
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

I’m surprised you guys aren’t talking about the raiders trading bryan edwards to the falcons. IMHO the raiders just traded a guy that was becoming a problem. This nothing but good news for the chargers and the rest of the division, I thought edwards improved a lot in 2021 and his best football is ahead of him, with 2 years remaining on his rookie contract I’m curious to know what the heck their FO is thinking esoecially considering the premium that’s now being placed at that position with guys that can produce. This was good for us but a bad trade for the raiders
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Why? Because he plays in the NFL vs working in an office? Sounds like a double standard to me. Who in the hell wants to be treated like that by their boss? If someone’s boss comes into the office and kicks them in front of 50 witnesses and it’s easy to prove in court, I think most people would think it was wise for that individual to sue. I’m not sure why a football player should be any different. I could give a rip either way but if a lawsuit like this hits home, maybe more coaches will be held accountable for the way they routinely treat players. I’m curious to know why you think athletes should be treated any different than any other type of employee? These coaches are professionals that demand their players behave like professionals, so why should they be held to a lower standard than what they themselves demand from their players?

Besides, money doesn’t give a shit about what anyone thinks about masculinity, money is money. If the courts rule Urban was liable then I’m going to laugh my ass off when his name gets drug thru the mud yet again. I can’t think of anyone that deserves it more, hopefully this one hits him in the pocket book, who knows how many millions that dirtbag made from treating players like that.
                    Why? Because it's a joke.
                    But also, when a man kicks you, you kick him back, only harder, titles and roles be dammed.
                    .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                    .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                    .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                    .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                    .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                    .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                    .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                    .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                    .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

His 35 yard passes had a rainbow Quality I thought projected poorly to the nfl. His receivers beat DBs by 5+ yards at bama every go route
                      Poor highlight to make that point. The guy is well covered and the throw perfect

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I'm not sure the point you are trying to make.

Is it that Tua doesn't have enough arm strength?

I haven't done a similar look at QB, but a lot of NFL QB doesn't throw many (ANY?) TD passes over 35 yards. The modern NFL passing game is timing-based, so many teams just aren't throwing long passes. The 49ers got a lot of crap about that when Bill Walsh took over because their practice field had 2- 50 yard fields back to back so that they didn't run plays from the artificial turf half to the grass half because of the shoes they used. It didn't prevent them from winning their 5 SB.

I do think it is an advantage to have a "big arm" QB, but it is only one of many aspects of QB play, and not nearly as important as many others. It is not a make-or-break type of quality.

I think the bigger issue with Tua has been he had a very good pro-style offense with multiple 1st round OL, RB and WR when he was playing for AL, and now in Miami, he still does not have the sort of talent level that he had when he was in college, let alone have the kind of dominant advantage that he had when Alabama was that much better than their opponents.

The biggest knock on Tua so far, IMHO, still has to be his health. Tua has had some stretches where he plays well, despite not having much talent around him. I think he was overrated coming out of college, and he has a lot to learn about going through progressions and about the short passing game. But even if all that works out, he is still a bit of question mark because of him being in and out of the lineup. It may also take him a while to peak, because he misses a lot of practice time.
                        Yes, that his lack of arm strength will take away a good portion of the football field for the Miami offense to attack.
                        He had a poor Oline last year (no worse than Herbert's in his rookie year), but good to decent offensive weapons.
                        Somehow, Tua managed to turn Jaylon Waddle into a possession receiver.

I went back and looked at old Joe Montana tape: i remember him throwing a real nice & accurate deep pass.
                        It didn't take me long to find a Montana bomb, 47 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to Jerry Rice:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcGnHJDrHe8 (at the 11:17 mark - the NFL didn't allow me to convert it into a gif).
                        The great Jerry Rice only had a half step on the Ram cb. San Francisco didn't do it often, but defenses had to respect it.

I invite you to find tape of Tua at Alabama slinging the rock further than 35 yards.

And yes, I agree: having a sub standard arm doesn't incapacitate him as a qb.
                        Chad Pennington had an even weaker arm, and he was really good.

There is no doubt that Tua, when healthy, has under performed in the eyes of his ex head coach and others associated with the organization.

BTW, Bill Walsh probably would have loved Tua's footwork in the pocket. He was a stickler for that: promoting Drew Brees above Michael Vick,
                        and trashing Ryan Leaf on each one's respective draft day for that quality.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Poor highlight to make that point. The guy is well covered and the throw perfect
                          I didn't want to spend too much time finding the best possible example....I used the first that i could find.
                          Devontae Smith was so well covered, that the cb couldn't even touch him when attempting the tackle....which he was geared for well before the reception.

However, to get an idea of the greater precision generally required in the NFL, compare it with the Montana td pass to rice whose link i provided just for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍